Do Camel crickets eat spiders?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In my Sisters new house in the basement they have an infestation of camel crickets, they see over a dozen a day and they find live ones in the washing machine. They used to have a spider issue, but most of them suddenly vanished. I was wondering, could these crickets be carnivores? I dont have a photo, but the crickets have really long back legs, no wings, and kind of blend in with the cement basement.

They were concerned for two, 1 year old babies, and they both have small dogs who will try and eat everything.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crickets are omnivores. I'm sure they'd eat spiders.
If your sister wants to get rid of them she can always send them here. ;)

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I get these types of crickets a couple times/year and they will eat each other and other bugs too. I don't know that they'll actually take down a live, healthy spider. I think they tend to satisfy their meat group requirements mostly by scavenging. If I'm a spider though, I'm going the opposite direction!

The ones I get are huge with legs/antennae-spans up to 8 inches (so I'm told). Six inches seems more typical. They are commonly referred to as spider crickets, so maybe that's where some of this spider discussion stems from.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like Bugs in Cyberspace said, they tend to scavenge for meat as opposed to hunt.