Do c. Lividums like very wet substrate?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
or just a little moist substrate
No swamp! Just moist. If you're using cocofiber, it should look close to the color of ground coffee.

As to how often to overflow a bowl or POUR (not mist) water into the sub, it depends on the enclosure and how fast it dries.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
No swamp! Just moist. If you're using cocofiber, it should look close to the color of ground coffee.

As to how often to overflow a bowl or POUR (not mist) water into the sub, it depends on the enclosure and how fast it dries.
I'm using eco earth. It's about a 9 inch by 3 and a half inch enclosure

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Very few Ts like "very wet" substrate. They are generally not swamp dwelling creatures and don't like water (except for Hysterocrates sp like H gigas, which I believe has been seen diving for fish)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Asian fossorial species should have moist substrate. My C. lividus are kept in 10-14 inches of topsoil with water dishes. When the top surface drys out, I'll pour 6-8 oz. water evenly across the top surface and leave it be for another 4-5 weeks. Don't pour the water into the burrow opening though.
Photo of a few adult enclosures.

Attachments

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Asian fossorial species should have moist substrate. My C. lividus are kept in 10-14 inches of topsoil with water dishes. When the top surface drys out, I'll pour 6-8 oz. water evenly across the top surface and leave it be for another 4-5 weeks. Don't pour the water into the burrow opening though.
"Moist" but not "very wet" - I pictured a swamp from the thread title :)

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Pretty informative info thanks. Did you get those containers online or in a store? I went looking enclosures like that for a while and don't have luck finding any in a store

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Pretty informative info thanks. Did you get those containers online or in a store? I went looking enclosures like that for a while and don't have luck finding any in a store
Menards. Has a larger selection of sizes and cheaper than Wallyworld. Menards, Dollar General, Big Lots and Everything's $1 are where I find most tubs.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Quick question. Is fir and sphagnum peat moss an ideal substrate for c lividum?

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Quick question. Is fir and sphagnum peat moss an ideal substrate for c lividum?
I actually created a thread on this stuff a few days ago when I got my C. albostriatum. The general consensus is that it'll mold very quickly if kept too moist. I'm using a mix of it with plain old coco fiber so we'll see what happens. No mold yet.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
I actually created a thread on this stuff a few days ago when I got my C. albostriatum. The general consensus is that it'll mold very quickly if kept too moist. I'm using a mix of it with plain old coco fiber so we'll see what happens. No mold yet.
Sounds good. I ended up just buying another brick of eco earth. I'm gonna put it in the oven after I have it all wet to break it down. I read that it's a strong possibility that it'll keep mold away

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
(except for Hysterocrates sp like H gigas, which I believe has been seen diving for fish)
Correct, you can see them swim on YouTube. There's an owner here that has observed this as well, not sure if s/he has put fish in yet.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Haplopelma lividum (or C.lividum, or whatever now the brand new crappy name my brain refuse to accept after all of those years is) love this:

- lots (but lots) of inches of moist substrate
- top notch ventilation (screw the scrooge/s of few holes for save humidity, a nonsense)
- a piece of cork bark, with maybe a pre made hole near/under that, is always of best

Done. Oh, wait... that's more or less the same care for every Asian OB (Obligate Burrower) Theraphosidae available in the hobby?
Bingo, and nothing to win :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I always laugh when I hear about the "wet" substrate issue. What a wrong, misleading word that damaged the hobby in every possible way.

Yeah, indeed Theraphosidae loves wet substrate sooo much: they are paludarium animals, after all, ah ah :-s

Therefore in the case of Haplocosmia himalayana the best temperature is the freezer one. They are "Yeti" on eight legs ;-)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Haplopelma lividum (or C.lividum, or whatever now the brand new crappy name my brain refuse to accept after all of those years is)
Cyriopagopus lividum is beyond ridiculous! Latin teachers used to beat their pupils with a stick for making mistakes less obvious than this :D

Last edited: