Do c. Lividums like very wet substrate?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Oh okay that makes total sense, I shouldn't ask questions about a species I'm trying to learn more about because I'm not "advanced" how do you think these advanced people became advanced in the first place? They asked questions and did research and that is clearly what I'm trying to do.
yeah, but we did that before buying a spider. ;)

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
yeah, but we did that before buying a spider. ;)
I DID. I just didn't see this site at the time. That's it. The care sheets you see in different websites are all different. The next one I get I'll be coming on here to ask whatever I need to know.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I DID. I just didn't see this site at the time. That's it. The care sheets you see in different websites are all different. The next one I get I'll be coming on here to ask whatever I need to know.
we also had experience with more beginner friendly species before buying anything as advanced as a Haplopelma.

cold blood

Staff member
Oh okay that makes total sense, I shouldn't ask questions about a species I'm trying to learn more about because I'm not "advanced" how do you think these advanced people became advanced in the first place? They asked questions and did research and that is clearly what I'm trying to do.
You clearly did NOT understand what i was saying.

My point wasnt that you shouldnt ask and learn, it was that if you are still in the asking questions phase, that you should not OWN advanced species yet.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
You clearly did NOT understand what i was saying.

My point wasnt that you shouldnt ask and learn, it was that if you are still in the asking questions phase, that you should not OWN advanced species yet.
Im not going to argue okay? It'd be pointless to stir up who's right and wrong over something petty. I get it, you have way more experience than me and I just kind of jumped into it. I've made mistakes that I've fixed overall. Thank you for your input.(I promise that I'm not trying to sarcastic in anything I've said)

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Wait did you already purchase the spider?
I purchased it like 2 weeks ago. I know I made a big commitment on it without knowing every detail about it but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on it. It has a great enclosure now and now I'm just waiting on the cork bark to put in its enclosure.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I did ignore them. That's why I got on here. I did do research. I went on so many different websites and I would come up against different information. You tubers were the same way it just got too confusing so I asked a lot of questions on here. I'll admit I did accidentally ask the same question twice but I really didn't mean to. I have a pretty bad case of ADD. No lie
That's okay.
I admit I made a mistake on buying such an advanced species. Simple as that.
Yes, you jumped in head first, which isn't the best course of action, but that's how it is. The consequence is that you need to get a crash course on 'how to deal with Old Worlds', and that you need to learn fast. So take a pen, and a paper sheet (or open a new document on your pc, tablet), and start noting the advice everybody on here gave you in your three threads. Collect the notes. Compare them to what your enclosures and care are now, and be realistic about it. 'pretty much right' isn't good enough, you have to make it right.
If there is any contradiction in advice in the threads, post them back here for further info.
If your care is in sync with the advice, good job. If it is not, make necessecary alterations.
General caution in dealing with Old Worlds:
If a burrowing species is above ground, do not open the enclosure, except when it is absolutely necessary.
Never reach in with you hands. Always use tongs for feeding, watering and cleaning.
Always keep one or more catch cups ready in case one bolts when opening the enclosure.
Make sure no one opens the enclosure, and keep other pets away.
I'm sure I missed some, but I think this covers the basics.
Never underestimate the spider.

Hope this helps. ;)

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
That's okay.

Yes, you jumped in head first, which isn't the best course of action, but that's how it is. The consequence is that you need to get a crash course on 'how to deal with Old Worlds', and that you need to learn fast. So take a pen, and a paper sheet (or open a new document on your pc, tablet), and start noting the advice everybody on here gave you in your three threads. Collect the notes. Compare them to what your enclosures and care are now, and be realistic about it. 'pretty much right' isn't good enough, you have to make it right.
If there is any contradiction in advice in the threads, post them back here for further info.
If your care is in sync with the advice, good job. If it is not, make necessecary alterations.
General caution in dealing with Old Worlds:
If a burrowing species is above ground, do not open the enclosure, except when it is absolutely necessary.
Never reach in with you hands. Always use tongs for feeding, watering and cleaning.
Always keep one or more catch cups ready in case one bolts when opening the enclosure.
Make sure no one opens the enclosure, and keep other pets away.
I'm sure I missed some, but I think this covers the basics.
Never underestimate the spider.

Hope this helps. ;)
Thank you. And yeah I know how this spider is now.. I know it's not as docile as my rose at all. The second time I rehoused him I didn't have any problems.. I just learn as I go

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I purchased it like 2 weeks ago. I know I made a big commitment on it without knowing every detail about it but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on it. It has a great enclosure now and now I'm just waiting on the cork bark to put in its enclosure.
If it proves to be too much to handle, there is absolutely NO shame in admitting that and find a new home for the spiders. Most people rather see you happily taking care of species you can manage, than watch you getting stressed because you can't. Deciding it is too much is NOT giving up. It is called being honest and realistic.

There have been people before coming in with a T they couldn't handle, with OW species. They found themselves facing an enclosure they were scared to open, with escaped spiders (which you already experienced), or a bite. Most were advised to trade/sell and go for safer options. Some followed that advice, some didn't.
Again, there is no shame in admitting you're in over your head. But if you decide to keep these, better start reading and writing, and learning everything you can. ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Dylan Campbell

Dylan, just follow that substrate "rule" like said before. Let the 'haplo' settle. Exercise always extreme caution -- hint: never, never, never open the top of the enclosure for watering/cleaninig/feeding when the spider is out in the open (yeah, happens, pet hole or not) or near the burrow. I do this but you don't :) and nothing bad will happens, even if you don't have the "experience needed" for.

OB Theraphosidae, once they fully settled, IMO are by far easy to work with (aside for transfer/rehouse of course) even compared to certain NW's.

cold blood

Staff member
The thing with advanced species is that no amount of studying or preparation can prepare you...only experience with ts can...and learning from a species thats underground 95% of the time is darn near impossible, especially for a beginner.

These are fast and very willing to bite, and often they deliver several bites in succession....bad news for a t you cant see and dont always know which exit its planning on using....get tagged and you may very well spend the might in the er. Have it bolt and escape and its a whole new world of concern, ecpecially if you have dogs or cats which could easily be killed by a single bite....and if theres kids in the house, you may be hiring an exterminator....cause you will be shocked at how fast a t like this will disappear.

This isnt about who has more experience, its not some childish pissing match, its about properly preparing yourself for the task at hand, preferably before hand. You wouldnt make your first car a nascar with a zero slip clutch, yet its basically the same thing as trying to drive that instead of a nice honda civic to take your drivers test with.

In the future, wood and any decor should be in place BEFORE the t ever gets in the enclosure, regardless of the species.

Good luck with it and good luck finding that delicate balance between moisture and ventilation, this is another thing that can be difficult and many experienced people struggle with....its a constant battle between too dry and mold popping up everywhere.

Im with andrea in that theres no shame in selling it or trading it for a species more your speed (in fact many of us would be proud of you)....i would suggest one you can actually observe regularly and learn from....like a Brachypelma or Grammostola species.

Another big thing to consider is that those ts you think are the greatest when new, will be very differrent than the ones you love with experience....without experience, its really not possible to know exactly which species tickle your fancy.

For example, when i started out, like you, i thought lividium was the coolest, i wanted one really bad....now i look at that species and its not a t i would take for free, and all these species i over looked or didnt know about are so much more desirable to me than i would have thought at that time... without experience, your basically picking blindly, often by the pretty colors, not realizing that there are a vast number of colorful, visible species that are much more enjoyable to own.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
very true^^
i thought Poecilotheria were the coolest, but after owning a couple Avicularia, i totally changed my mind, dont buy on impulse or because of pretty colors. take time to really think about which spider would be best and which you will enjoy most.

cold blood

Staff member
very true^^
i thought Poecilotheria were the coolest, but after owning a couple Avicularia, i totally changed my mind, dont buy on impulse or because of pretty colors. take time to really think about which spider would be best and which you will enjoy most.
Yep, for a good while i thought avics were boring and undesireable, now its one of, if not my favorite genus.

Last edited:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
For example, when i started out, like you, i thought lividium was the coolest, i wanted one really bad....now i look at that species and its not a t i would take for free.

No, accept it, PM me. I'll pay the overnight shipping costs.

I'm of the minority on this forum, obligate burrowers are my favorite. Not a "day walker" like most, therefore I see mine more frequently. 3AM feedings are the highlight of my "day".

@Dylan Campbell, take the advice given on here. You asked, we answered. All given in the best interest of both you and the T. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Ha, dont confuse my distain for haplos as a dislike for obligate burrowers, lmao.

I have and thouroughly enjoy many many such species...i even breed them when i can...burrowers are incredible...my H. gigas is a burrowing magician, so cool..i just dont consider lividium to be one i like or want.....i think bach ma is the only member of the genus i would ever get.

Theres lots of people here that love burrowers...just look at all the insane P. muticus love arpund these foroms;)

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Ha, dont confuse my distain for haplos as a dislike for obligate burrowers, lmao.

I have and thouroughly enjoy many many such species...i even breed them when i can...burrowers are incredible...my H. gigas is a burrowing magician, so cool..i just dont consider lividium to be one i like or want.....i think bach ma is the only member of the genus i would ever get.

Theres lots of people here that love burrowers...just look at all the insane P. muticus love arpund these foroms;)
I have a sling p. Muticus and it does make some amazing tunnels. Made itself a hill at the entry of it too