Do all t`s do that?

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do all female t`s do this?

Hey to ya`ll
Just wonderin do all female t`s eat the male after they`re done breeding unless the male manages to escape?

Thanks spider,

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
many times it's only a matter of how well-fed they are...so most people fatten up their females as much as possible before the mating.

not a bad idea. :)

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey ,thanks for the info skadi & uh arachnodite. Although i`m not entirely ready to breed it`s always best to know before you do something

Thanks,My first breeders will be goliaths:D

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they say that goliaths are easy to breed but hard to keep eggs, so you may want to read up on incubating. thats something I need to do myself. does anyone know any good links that tell how to build an incubator for T eggs

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Do all female t`s do this?

Originally posted by spider
Hey to ya`ll
Just wonderin do all female t`s eat the male after they`re done breeding unless the male manages to escape?

Thanks spider,
Some spiders are known for that behavior to a greater degree than tarantulas. The female black widow, despite her name, usually doesn't eat the male, only occasionally.

In Australian Redback spiders, it happens all the time. The Australian Redback spider male does a somersault and sticks his abdomen into the fangs of the female while mating. This might seem crazy, but the male does this for selfish reasons.

Male Australian Redbacks have a short lifecycle, and would die soon after mating anyway. While the female eats his abdomen, he spends maximum time sticking sperm into the female. The longer the sperm transfer, the less likely she is to allow another mate to get close. This sex as suicide, is the male's way to improve his own inclusive fitness, and get his genes into the gene pool. The ultimate in rough sex. :eek:

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Re: Re: Do all female t`s do this?

Originally posted by Professor T
Some spiders are known for that behavior to a greater degree than tarantulas. The female black widow, despite her name, usually doesn't eat the male, only occasionally.

In Australian Redback spiders, it happens all the time. The Australian Redback spider male does a somersault and sticks his abdomen into the fangs of the female while mating. This might seem crazy, but the male does this for selfish reasons.

Male Australian Redbacks have a short lifecycle, and would die soon after mating anyway. While the female eats his abdomen, he spends maximum time sticking sperm into the female. The longer the sperm transfer, the less likely she is to allow another mate to get close. This sex as suicide, is the male's way to improve his own inclusive fitness, and get his genes into the gene pool. The ultimate in rough sex. :eek:
Ok, that was interesting. Now I need to see what one of these spiders looks like!! What's the scientific name for it? :)

Wysi