Do all Slings Burrow?

NuigurumiOtaku

Arachnopeon
Hello! I'm looking to get another T, but I was wondering if there are any slings that don't burrow? As a new keeper I'd love to have at least one T that stays out in the open more, but I only have access to slings. I was thinking a C. Cyaneopubescens might be a good option, but any others you can think of?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
No they don't my B. boehmei has never burrowed
Nor has my G. iheringi although this one does move the water dish about and sub

Theneil

Arachnoprince
C. cyaneopubecens is probably a good choice. sometimes rhey can make little web castles to hide in but they don’t really burrow IME.

If you are willing to do a little research (nothing difficult) and avicularia or caribena may be a good choice as well.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
not all slings will burrow. a really got option is waiting until they get bigger when they tend to be less shy.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
or house it in something smaller

Edit: srry i forgot to give u credit bro @cold blood lol cus i totally got the idea from u:troll:

Last edited:

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
All my slings except my GBB and B. boehmei have burrowed or made a web curtain to hide in. Many species burrow as slings and are out in the open as adults though so patience is key with tarantulas

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
G. iheringi
D. diamantinensis
C. cyaneopubescens
N. incei (at least in my experience)

Tbh, once a lot of terrestrial species pass 2"-3" they tend to forgo burrowing anyway

purplephilia

Arachnolurker
Pretty much every single one of my slings (18 so far) burrowed until they got about 1-1.25" and now most of them stay out in the open. Ones that still burrow:
A. seemanni
E. campestratus
G. pulchripes
H. chilensis (def hasn't reached 1" inch yet though :happy:)

One of my G. pulchras and my B. vagans have burrows but are usually out in the open.

My slings that never burrowed:
Pseudhapalopus sp blue
A. geniculata
B. albiceps
E. pulcherrimaklaasi

I have three recent additions who are still new and smaller than the rest: 2 P. auratus who have burrowed but also come out often, and a Lasiodorides striatus who hasn't burrowed (yet).

This is just my own rather limited experience, of course.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I don't think you can guarantee that any spiderling won't burrow. It is in their nature to stay hidden from predators. So, they could all potentially burrow and it is up to the individual whether they do or not. There are a few genera that I have kept who have burrowed less, or not at all - Grammostola, Homoeomma, Euathlus, Lasiodora - but that doesn't mean that other individuals wouldn't have. Most of the others gave up their deep burrowing at around 3" and stayed out more.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Most species will burrow/hide to some extent as slings. There are those less likely to do it, but hiding is kind of ingrained into them instinctively since in nature they'd be prime meals to get picked off.

C. cyaneopubescens is definitely a good choice if you're wanting something that's more visible - they web like crazy and tend not to be too interested in moving dirt. Very active by tarantula standards, eat like tiny 8 legged horses and grow like weeds.

The others have also suggested several great alternatives of species that tend to be more visible when they're small, so I won't add to that lot.

N. incei (at least in my experience)
I think it's just hit or miss with them - I had one that never dug (but unfortunately passed away), and the male and female I have now both have burrowed, but they tend to be out as long as they're not in premolt.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I think it's just hit or miss with them - I had one that never dug (but unfortunately passed away), and the male and female I have now both have burrowed, but they tend to be out as long as they're not in premolt.
Yeah, when I initially set mine up I gave it more substrate because everything on here said they definitely will burrow but she's never bothered (inb4 "but all your Ts are broken, Grym"), she'd rather just web up everything in existence.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello! I'm looking to get another T, but I was wondering if there are any slings that don't burrow? As a new keeper I'd love to have at least one T that stays out in the open more, but I only have access to slings. I was thinking a C. Cyaneopubescens might be a good option, but any others you can think of?
Many do but not all.

NuigurumiOtaku

Arachnopeon
C. cyaneopubecens is probably a good choice. sometimes rhey can make little web castles to hide in but they don’t really burrow IME.

If you are willing to do a little research (nothing difficult) and avicularia or caribena may be a good choice as well.
I think for sure I'll get a GBB then! C. Versicolors are gorgeous, but with my severely dry climate I'd be worried about it surviving. I'd love one someday though!

Pretty much every single one of my slings (18 so far) burrowed until they got about 1-1.25" and now most of them stay out in the open. Ones that still burrow:
A. seemanni
E. campestratus
G. pulchripes
H. chilensis (def hasn't reached 1" inch yet though :happy:)

One of my G. pulchras and my B. vagans have burrows but are usually out in the open.

My slings that never burrowed:
Pseudhapalopus sp blue
A. geniculata
B. albiceps
E. pulcherrimaklaasi

I have three recent additions who are still new and smaller than the rest: 2 P. auratus who have burrowed but also come out often, and a Lasiodorides striatus who hasn't burrowed (yet).

This is just my own rather limited experience, of course.
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm in love with B. Albiceps, so I think I have to get one now and just wait to see if it burrows or not.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I think for sure I'll get a GBB then! C. Versicolors are gorgeous, but with my severely dry climate I'd be worried about it surviving. I'd love one someday though!
C. versicolor thrive in dry climates, just be sure it has access to fresh water and ample ventilation. This is my setup - sling is doing fantastically. They're easy keepers as long as you don't get fooled by all the misinformation out there.

20190220_154108.jpg 20190220_153855.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
C. Versicolors are gorgeous, but with my severely dry climate I'd be worried about it surviving. I'd love one someday though!
You can keep any species in any climate, people keep arid species in places like the Philippines and others who live in arid climates keep Asian Fossorials without issue. All it affects is how often you need to moisten the substrate.

C. versicolor should be kept mostly dry anyway.

xZaidax

Arachnopeon
I’m an Aussie keeper

my P. Proserpine burrowed and would only come out when hungry

S. Plumipes Wallace and S. Exevale have burrows but only use them when they’ve snagged a feeder and want to eat in peace, otherwise they’re usually topside hanging out (both have bark and sphagnum as cover options but again only if they feel threatened)

had both since they came out of the egg sac

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I think Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is a great choice and have never burrowed for me but instead webbed while young. Also keeping the slings in appropriately small containers means they can’t burrow deep. I have a Grammostola pulchra who does not burrow because it doesn’t have all that unnecessary depth to do so as a sling.