do all mili's have poison?

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
134
do all millipedes produce poison?

im looking for another feeder to breed, and millipedes look fun and cute.

are there any out there that are not poisoness?
 

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
2,301
I'm pretty sure all millipedes secrete poisons . . . and why would you want a cute feeder? :?

Millipedes are also kind of slow on the developmental speed. That's why roaches are so popular.
 

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
134
I'm pretty sure all millipedes secrete poisons . . . and why would you want a cute feeder? :?
im just wierd.

Millipedes are also kind of slow on the developmental speed. That's why roaches are so popular.
yah, i got some discoids goin, but i was hoping to find another feeder to add variation. i dont mind it being slow developmentally, but poisoness feeders dont work so great.
 

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
1,386
I don't know if millis are actually poisonous. None that I know of are venemous and although defensive secretions can be harmful, I am not sure if it can be called poison. Please correct me if I am wrong.
 

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
2,301
Poison = harmful if ingested or absorbed through the skin, eyes, or respiratory tract.

Venom = harmful if injected into the bloodstream via organs used specifically for this (fangs, stingers, etc.).

Millipede toxins fall into the first category -- if they bite you, they bite you, and that's that. If you eat one or lick the glands along the length of one's body, you'd be in trouble.
 

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
8,330
Poison = harmful if ingested or absorbed through the skin, eyes, or respiratory tract.

Venom = harmful if injected into the bloodstream via organs used specifically for this (fangs, stingers, etc.).
this is true-ish.... but in all the actual hardcore lit i have read the terms are used interchangeably. in practice, i adhere to the poison-ingest/venom-inject standard though.

Millipede toxins fall into the first category -- if they bite you, they bite you, and that's that. If you eat one or lick the glands along the length of one's body, you'd be in trouble.
nah, sometimes they just taste sour =P
 

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
8,330
do all millipedes produce poison?

im looking for another feeder to breed, and millipedes look fun and cute.

are there any out there that are not poisoness?
the big ol millis would not make much sense to use as feeders, but i was establishing a multi-special colony of local minis to start experimenting on. seems like it would take about 3 years to get a full blown feeder colony up and running. i had many babies in ~9 months but then a mold bloom wiped out all my efforts.

oh, and as far as testing.. i was going to start with local predators (widows to start, working up to random spiders and then finally polymorpha and some baby cents i have) and see if they would eat them (and not die, heh) and then try it out on some of my G. rosea hordes. the only problem is it is entirely conceivable that there are like, indirect poisons that affect molts and reproduction etc.

i hope you have some success with it :)
 

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
645
Also, might be some cumulative effects that wouldn't show until too late. I bet the most common reaction would be rejection, however. Sometimes after accepting one the first time.
 

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
2,301
That's kind of how a pet rat of mine felt about darkling beetles -- she loved grasshoppers, but the first time I offered her a beetle she threw it in the corner of her tank after one bite.

So, yeah . . . your feed-ees would probably just wind up with a disgusted look on their faces.
 
Top