DLS

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone, I have a little trouble with the diagonal legspan of my T's.

1st is a female P. Cancerides with a body length of about 6-6,5 cm (2 1/3 - 2,5 inch) also secondairy question, is this girl adult size already or not yet?

The other is a female Chilobrachys discolus blue with a body length of 3-3,5 cm (1 1/4 - 1 1/3 inch)

Can anyone give me a well educated guess on the diagonal legspan on these 2?

Thanks!

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Theres no way to giess DLS based on body lenth sorry.

What i do is simply measure the most recent moult.

Its it measures say 4" DLS then i descripbe the T as 4.5" DLS+
I just add 1/2"+ to whatever the previous moult DLS was.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I... don't get it? If you can get the body length, why not just measure the dls while you're at it? You measure the tip of the bottom left leg to the top of the top right leg (or vise versa).

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Theres no way to giess DLS based on body lenth sorry.

What i do is simply measure the most recent moult.

Its it measures say 4" DLS then i descripbe the T as 4.5" DLS+
I just add 1/2"+ to whatever the previous moult DLS was.
Ok cool thx!

I... don't get it? If you can get the body length, why not just measure the dls while you're at it? You measure the tip of the bottom left leg to the top of the top right leg (or vise versa).
Well because I haven't seen them stretched out yet, so I cant realy get the measurement of the DLS

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
I put a ruler inside the enclosure of a B. vagans and just waited until he walked basically on top of it once. Now I usually do that to figure out sizes. For smaller enclosures youll need to saw the ruler into smaller pieces to fit it in there. Make sure the ruler isnt made out of cedar or anything harmful though. Dk if that helps but it works for me. And if they arent completely stretched out you can guestimate a half inch or so. Theres really no neccesity for knowing the exact size of a T anyway. Itll be fine if you have a small margin of error. Close enough

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Assuming you can't take a good stretched top picture and want to be complicated you can:
Take a picture, scale it to the correct body length in photoshop/gimp, and then add the segments using the measure/ruler. It helps to have two different views (i.e. top and side).

I have this uh... friend...who may have done this to estimate growth rates... :embarrassed: