DKS from Dehydration?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone. After seeing a ton of videos about DKS, I've noticed that my A. Versicolor, while exploring its cage, has been walking with its two front legs (next to the palps) raised higher than the others when walking- to maybe a 40 degree angle with the tarantula being still has everything at 0. I'm probably overreacting a bit, but...I'm just kind of worried. Before moving it, I misted its vial once every other day. The soil itself would be bone dry and, since it is only 1", there was no water bowl. I haven't noticed the leg thing until we moved it, but its old vial was cylindrical. This new acrylic cage is box-like. Could it be because I moved my T in the bathtub? It never touched the floor and we haven't used the tub in years. If it is from dehydration, could it be cured?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I have never had a spider with DKS (knock on wood). But my husband was epileptic. Epilepsy is neurological - and in the majority of cases is idiopathic. Which means, they have no idea what causes it. In the 15 years we were together, he had four seizures. All four seemed to be brought on by stress and environment factors (one late night in the mainframe room at work). He was not the kind of epileptic that was affected by strobe lights. Never bothered him, ever, not live nor in movies. He never had aura warnings, either.

I think keeping records of all of these implied or known symptoms is key to finding out more about this. I will read up and follow these threads, as I did to learn more about epilepsy over 15 years ago. I hope that someday a cure (not just meds) will help people, and a cause and treatment will help spiders and other affected animals.

Sad Marga

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you mean the Avic High Step? Whenever any of mine are in a new environment, or take an impromptu stroll up my arm, they lift their front legs up quite high, as if to test for their footing. I don't believe it's at all abnormal.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine walks with her front legs up a little whenever I handle her or there's a cricket in her cage, or she's been rehoused etc. Aka whenever she's around something new.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Do you mean the Avic High Step? Whenever any of mine are in a new environment, or take an impromptu stroll up my arm, they lift their front legs up quite high, as if to test for their footing. I don't believe it's at all abnormal.
I guess I do :) .

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't know it had a cute name. I just knew that every pink toe I've seen does it.

Vinnyg253

Arachnopeon
How about the avic happy dance? I just got some A.Avics today and fed them, each of them took the prey item and then did thier lil cirlcle, I've heard it called the Avic happy dance.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
How about the avic happy dance? I just got some A.Avics today and fed them, each of them took the prey item and then did thier lil cirlcle, I've heard it called the Avic happy dance.
No. NO. It's the tarantula happy dance (copyright 200idontknow Tarantula Keeper's Guide Revised Edition)

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tarantulas have chemical receptors in the tibia of the pedipalps and first legs. They wave them high in the air to sample their surroundings.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The Avicularia spp. often walk that way, nothing to worry about.

I think the DKS syndrome has something to do with brain or nerv damage. Would be good to know what is causing it but i have never seen it in europe.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Regarding cause/source of DKS, has anyone suggested that additives, pollutants, or pesticide residues in food fed to feeder crickets could be responsible? Has anyone ever tested crickets for residues or pollutants? Just wondering...

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Regarding cause/source of DKS, has anyone suggested that additives, pollutants, or pesticide residues in food fed to feeder crickets could be responsible? Has anyone ever tested crickets for residues or pollutants? Just wondering...
Could be a reason but the majority ( i belive) has their own breeding cultures of crickets and roaches. But ofcourse feeders might contain toxins from badly rinsed fruits ect

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unfortunately we live in an age where if your in a city it's almost impossible to keep yourself and the animals under our care away from pollutants.