DKS???? D: D: D: D: D:

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight

Please tell me this isn't DKS..... The past few days was all normal behavior... I check on it a couple hours ago, if that, and it was walking with really jerky motions like in the video. I'm really worried about its wellbeing as well as my other tarantula (which is acting just fine).... Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. T_T

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
DKS is tarantula poisoning. any WC feeders or chemicals in the room? i lost a P ornata sling due to bad peat moss substrate. its not contagious unless you feed WC feeders or sprayed chems in your whole room. doesnt look great to me.. thats how my ornata looked before she died the next day. keep us updated.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
"DKS" aka Dyskinetic Syndrome, are symptoms characterized by jerky motions, loss of coordination, and an inability to eat. It most often ends in the death of the tarantula, which looks like . It's likely to have been brought on by a foreign agent your T picked up ex( pesticide, feeders, mold, etc.) Keep it hydrated and minimize external stimuli as possible and time will tell.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The past few days was all normal behavior.
What about the fast few years?? I've had a T or 2 do this and then it didn't do it anymore, no issues w/other members of my collection at the time. I don't know what caused that 29s of behavior, but I cannot say from that video that something is physiologically wrong w/your T based on the info provided.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Sad sad day. I woke up and it was full death curl. I had to flea bomb my apartment last month and put everyone (scorpions, both of my Ts and the feeders we breed which are kept in clean conditions. Nothing wild caught.) in the bathroom completely sealed off from the pesticides. I have only had my GBB roughly 6 months, if that. I've only been in the hobby roughly 3 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. If it was from the flea bomb, wouldn't my G. pulchripes sling be affected too as well as my feeder roaches dying off?

Attachments

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
What was the brand of flea bomb you used?
What species of roaches are you using for feeders?
Is your G. pulchripes sling burrowed in substrate in its enclosure?
When you said everything was sealed off in a bathroom, how exactly was the bathroom sealed off?
How long from the time the flea bombing was over did you remove the inverts from the bathroom and put them back in their usual location?
Was this the first time you flea bombed the apartment with live inverts inside sealed up in the bathroom?

As you can tell I have so many questions about this. Its amazing that it took 1 month from the flea bomb to effect your C. cyanopubescens. I would keep a close eye on the rest of your invert collection.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's sad. If possible I suggest always to avoid that stuff. It doesn't matter: inverts and those chemical spray stuff doesn't mix, and, no matter if someone told you that those are safe or else, why risk in the first place?

Learn from Italy, here no one spray anymore (not that first they loved that uh) and we have even rats and roaches of all sorts in the hospitals.

It's like having a mobile sort of underground steampunk Noah's Ark in the boot: so biblical (I'm watching you, Papa Ciccio) and funny once you get used to :-s

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When you said everything was sealed off in a bathroom, how exactly was the bathroom sealed off?
How long from the time the flea bombing was over did you remove the inverts from the bathroom and put them back in their usual location?
Was this the first time you flea bombed the apartment with live inverts inside sealed up in the bathroom?

As you can tell I have so many questions about this. Its amazing that it took 1 month from the flea bomb to effect your C. cyanopubescens. I would keep a close eye on the rest of your invert collection.
I'm wondering all those questions myself!

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight

Dubia and Red runner roaches.
Nope the pulchripes is out and about walking around its enclosure. It hasn't buried itself since 2 molts ago.
We had the enclosures down inside a big box which was sealed away in the bathroom by tightly rolled up towels around the door to seal off any gaps or holes the fumes could get into.
We didn't remove them from the bathroom for a day and a half and let the apartment air out as well as vacuum and wipe off the table where they stay.
Yes this was the first time we bombed while having owning them. (Honestly I wouldn't have bombed if the fleas weren't so friggin horrible where I live. It's been a constant battle with the dog and cat and their flea baths as well as the flea treatments.)
Eliminator Indoor Fogger was what we used.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Sorry for your loss. Flea bombs and pet treatments can cause this in Ts. I have seen it happen on occasion.

Sorry you lost your T :(

dmattenski

Arachnopeon
Got my first T for 2016 Christmas from my family, a beautiful Chilean Rose....just lost her overnight to DKS. I watched her suffer for 3 days, tried all the ICU recommendations, I'm stunned. Over the last few days I read everything out on the internet about this....nothing makes sense. My husband and I are both scientists - and though a lot of you on this are the experts on T's - we thought we would offer our analytical minds to sift through the anecdotal reports looking for commonalities. Overwhelmingly, folks say pesticides, but there seem to be way too many exceptions to this, including ours, where there are no pesticides in the house. Also a lot of folks with colonies of Ts, yet only one or two die, even though theoretically all would have been similarly exposed. Other chemicals? In my case, I wasn't yet handling her, so other chemicals are not a factor. Other factors? Genetic? then why does it hit every species? It would have to be a mutation that occurred long ago, in an early lineage giving rise to the Theraphosidae, in order for it to show up in so many species...statistically not possible to be a coincidence. Dehydration? Seems to be a chicken/egg thing. Food source? Again, prey types and sources are too diverse (from all over the country) to be the souce. So, no matter what the thought, there doesn't seem to be a statistically valid common cause. I haven't seen anything on substrate, I was using eco-earth, but again, I think there will be lost of variation.

Sorry for the rambling; I'm a bit deer in the headlights right now.

A thought I have not seen posted...auto-immune response to their own venom? Venom is one commonality in all of these animals. I'm not saying self-envenomation, but might it be possible that something in their systems breaks down allowing them to be slowly susceptible to their own venom? Especially since one of the chemicals in tarantula's has neurotoxin properties and is used in the study of epilepsy. Thoughts?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Got my first T for 2016 Christmas from my family, a beautiful Chilean Rose....just lost her overnight to DKS. I watched her suffer for 3 days, tried all the ICU recommendations, I'm stunned. Over the last few days I read everything out on the internet about this....nothing makes sense. My husband and I are both scientists - and though a lot of you on this are the experts on T's - we thought we would offer our analytical minds to sift through the anecdotal reports looking for commonalities. Overwhelmingly, folks say pesticides, but there seem to be way too many exceptions to this, including ours, where there are no pesticides in the house. Also a lot of folks with colonies of Ts, yet only one or two die, even though theoretically all would have been similarly exposed. Other chemicals? In my case, I wasn't yet handling her, so other chemicals are not a factor. Other factors? Genetic? then why does it hit every species? It would have to be a mutation that occurred long ago, in an early lineage giving rise to the Theraphosidae, in order for it to show up in so many species...statistically not possible to be a coincidence. Dehydration? Seems to be a chicken/egg thing. Food source? Again, prey types and sources are too diverse (from all over the country) to be the souce. So, no matter what the thought, there doesn't seem to be a statistically valid common cause. I haven't seen anything on substrate, I was using eco-earth, but again, I think there will be lost of variation.
youll get more responses by making your own thread in the QnD section. chemicals dont have to come from handling, perfumes, cigarettes, cologne, etc. etc. are all bad. food source, definitely a possibility if you use wild caught prey. ICUs are bad for arid species such as Grammostola rosea.

dmattenski

Arachnopeon
youll get more responses by making your own thread in the QnD section. chemicals dont have to come from handling, perfumes, cigarettes, cologne, etc. etc. are all bad. food source, definitely a possibility if you use wild caught prey. ICUs are bad for arid species such as Grammostola rosea.
Hi, thanks for the reply...what is the QnD section I can repost to?