DIY scorpion terrarium/coffee table

cj5y

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, my buddy and I decided to build a scorpion terrarium for a coffee table. The size is 35" L, 35"W, 12" High (inside). We have seven 3/4" air holes on two sides. We are putting glass on all for sides and on the top. For lighting we decided to go with four 12" florescent lights on the inside, two will be UV lights and we'll have the regular lights on a timer and the UV's on a switch. We also plan on installing a large heating pad under some rocks that will turn on and off from a thermostat and the rest will be sand and places for them to hide. Here are a few pictures of our progress and input or constructive criticism would greatly be appreciated.

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

I will update as progress is made...

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what do you plan on housing in there? If its a tropical species, wouldnt the humidity eventually make the wood rot and all that bad stuff?

cj5y

Arachnopeon
what do you plan on housing in there? If its a tropical species, wouldnt the humidity eventually make the wood rot and all that bad stuff?
i was planing on putting some H. hottentotta. they call for 50-60% humidity, and most of the inside will be covered with glass.

Last edited:

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Well I'm sure you'll find some folk that will tell you this is a terrible idea. I am not one of them. I've been kicking this idea around for a minute now as well. I would love to build a coffee table enclosure for a thriving community of scorpions. Your idea to use H. hottentotta in it is great, a never ending supply! Well done sir, just be careful with the heating pad. I don't really think you'll need it.

cj5y

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the support! If you believe the heating pad isn't necessary I won't use it.

Romantis

Arachnopeon
This is a really neat idea! I will definitely be following this thread for updates and photos. I look forward to your next update :-D

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
I had a friend a few years back who made one for her Crotalus cerastes and it worked out well; I am interested to see how this works out for you.

cj5y

Arachnopeon
I'd throw it all together, test the temps without it, and go from there.
i think ill do that, the heating pad and thermostat are the most expensive parts. i found the frame, it was an old coffee table some one put in the trash, it just needed a new base and some paint.

Last edited:

cj5y

Arachnopeon
heres a update... we were able to work on it more this week end. we put the glass on the sides and ran some wires. then my wonderful girlfriend put a second coat of paint on it for me.

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Looks great so far! Nice job :). U planning to add a background in that? I have a communal terrarium too, but i dun have a background, it will be much more awesome if it had 1 tho.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
to help attain a dryer climate, if one wants, you could do what we do for ant nests and hook up a low voltage air pump to push air into the table and thus ensuring good circulation.

cj5y

Arachnopeon
What kind of paint?
i used mythic non-toxic paint, flat black.

---------- Post added 08-22-2011 at 11:10 PM ----------

to help attain a dryer climate, if one wants, you could do what we do for ant nests and hook up a low voltage air pump to push air into the table and thus ensuring good circulation.
Thats a really good idea! We've been tossing around ideas about air flow and we're seriously considering using your idea.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks great, can't wait to see the finish project. I was thinking of turning a old china cabnet into a enclousre (I know it's been done before but it still looks great if done correctly), but still not sure what sp. to put in it, maybe when I move into a bigger place, but a coffe table seems like a great idea.

cj5y

Arachnopeon
It looks great, can't wait to see the finish project. I was thinking of turning a old china cabnet into a enclousre (I know it's been done before but it still looks great if done correctly), but still not sure what sp. to put in it, maybe when I move into a bigger place, but a coffe table seems like a great idea.
thanks, i like the china cabinet idea, but i think i would build it for some Ts. i do agree, if done right it would look awesome. if you decide to do it make sure you take pics and post them. i would love too see more ppl do thing like that.

helixrose

Arachnopeon
This is freaking awesome!! Please do keep posting pics so we can see the working setup!

applie

Arachnopeon
This is really neat! I'll be watching for more pictures are you get closer to finishing it!