DIY hinged Plexi lid- removing Superglue fingerprints?

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My husband made some Plexi lids with clear acrylic hinges/latches for 2.5 gallon tanks. We couldn't find any adhesive specifically made for what he was working with (I'll order something for the next time) and he was afraid hot glue wouldn't hold. Superglue held alright- and left CSI-style fingerprints all over. How can we remove them?

Hostile

Arachnopeon
Acetone (nail polish remover is majority acetone)

Keep dabbing it on so it penetrates it, and it'll eventually take it all off.

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
Some super glues actually melt acrylics. If such is the case, they may be permanent, but the acetone is the right way to go to find out. Good luck. :)

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I knew about acetone, but was afraid it would damage the Plexi. I guess I hoped there was some secret method. Oh well, I'll dig up some scraps and test the acetone first.

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
Spot tests are always a good idea... if acetone is damaging to the plexi, M.E.K. might be a good alternative to try. Any hardware store should have it.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avoid acetone!
Since super glue is basically a plastic, and it bonded to a plastic, it requires care in removing. The safest way is the slow way. Detergent and water. Soak the super glue to loosen up a bit with a cloth soaked in detergent and water, after is soaked for a while, then use alcohol. Alcohol, will damage if left on too long so keep it wet with the water and detergent and use the alcohol on the fingerprint spots. If you press too hard you may create scratches, the best I've used is Novus plastic polish.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks folks. Skullptor, sounds like my best option. In the future, what adhesive would you recommend for acrylic/Plexi/plastic use? I've yet to find a definative answer to this, and I promise I've searched!

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
Don't use acetone, it will damage the acrylic. If I need to remove small scratches or fingeprints on my enclosures, I use this kit.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you just buff it out? I know people with acylic aquariums sometimes buff out scratches especially when buying a used tank. Ive seen crappy looking tanks look awsome with a good buff and cleaning.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks folks. Skullptor, sounds like my best option. In the future, what adhesive would you recommend for acrylic/Plexi/plastic use? I've yet to find a definative answer to this, and I promise I've searched!
I've used Weld-on for years with great results.
http://www.ipscorp.com/assembly/acrylic
Put it in a needle tipped bottle like this:http://www.sourcingmap.com/replaceable-needle-tip-clear-white-glue-plastic-bottle-p-49370.html
Put the tip on the inside courner of the two pieces of acrylic, the weld on will run along where to two pieces meet melting the two pieces together with no runoff or fingerprints.

Last edited: