DIY and save $$$

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A week or so ago, someone posted a lid system which fit into some (not all) 10 gal tanks (and only 10 gal tanks) which I thought was pretty neat. If I'm not mistaken, the lids sold for about $30 without the tank.

Nicole had posted her version of the same lid, and I got to thinking, maybe I could dupe the lid for CHEAP!!!

For about $15.00 here is the lid and tank.

Here is the vent dry fitted without the screen, and the door and substrate retainer before final cut/ installation.

The substrate retainer glued on

Hinges on the door and substrate retainer

Almost finished, screen on, door pull on, just need door fastener to keep door closed.

I hope people get Ideas and SAVE MONEY!!! More T's that way.

This will house my big P cambridgei F almost 7"

Enjoy
PIG-

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great job on that PIG! But.. I have to play the dummy of the day.. What & how did you make the trim around the screen.. I see you say a pair of nips? :? Again.. Dummy of the day.. :eek:

*Edit* Wouldnt it be cheaper to make the whole front out of the plexi lid? Just drill holes for the vent instead of putting the screen in there at the top... Just a thought...

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great job on that PIG! But.. I have to play the dummy of the day.. What & how did you make the trim around the screen.. I see you say a pair of nips? :? Again.. Dummy of the day.. :eek:
LOL a pair of Scissors work well, just don't use the wife's, you'll dull them quick. A pair of metal nippers is made for cutting metal.

I like the look of the vent, plus, $15 for everything is cheap.
PIG-

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL a pair of Scissors work well, just don't use the wife's, you'll dull them quick. A pair of metal nippers is made for cutting metal.

PIG-
I think what everyone is asking is what is the border of the mesh comprised of...The "framing" of it.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think what everyone is asking is what is the border of the mesh comprised of...The "framing" of it.
OHHHH:eek:

Its window screen frame. $1 for four corners and $3 for about 8' of the rail.
cut it with a hack saw. Then the corners slip right in then you use spline and a slpine wheel to secure the screen to the frame.

PIG-

Offkillter

Arachnosquire

*Edit* Wouldnt it be cheaper to make the whole front out of the plexi lid? Just drill holes for the vent instead of putting the screen in there at the top... Just a thought...
I'm pretty sure I've seen that screen frame for sale a orchard you can probably buy it at any hardware store.It comes in lengths and you just cut it to size and pop on the plastic corners.Then cut your screen and apply the little rubber rope gasket and push it into a groove that goes around the outside of the screen frame.Hope that made any sense,once you see the stuff it is all pretty self explanatory.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah.. This is what I am wanting to know..

PIG-
It does have a pretty sharp look to it.. Maybe be something I give a try with my (4) ten gallons that I have sitting around.. :D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure I've seen that screen frame for sale a orchard you can probably buy it at any hardware store.It comes in lengths and you just cut it to size and pop on the plastic corners.Then cut your screen and apply the little rubber rope gasket and push it into a groove that goes around the outside of the screen frame.Hope that made any sense,once you see the stuff it is all pretty self explanatory.
Oh shoot! I thought there was more to it than that.. :eek:

OHHHH:eek:

Its window screen frame. $1 for four corners and $3 for about 8' of the rail.
cut it with a hack saw. Then the corners slip right in then you use spline and a slpine wheel to secure the screen to the frame.

PIG-
The most of the money is being spent on the cost of the plexi then.. Huh?

$15 is still a nice save compaired to the $30 on the other lid.. So.. Again.. Great job! :D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh shoot! I thought there was more to it than that.. :eek:

The most of the money is being spent on the cost of the plexi then.. Huh?

$15 is still a nice save compaired to the $30 on the other lid.. So.. Again.. Great job! :D
I bought a piece of plexi for $9 and was able to get 3 doors from it. $3 a door.

PIG-

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like it. I'm gonna have to try something like this on my 5g.
Yeah, I have no use for 10 gal tanks, too big for the T's I keep and take up too much room. This is a 5.5 gal tank, more than enough room for what I need.

PIG-

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Not a bad deal there, maybe i'll give it a shot!

Where do you get the plexi hinges? and how do you lock the door?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My computer crashed some time ago, and I lost where I bought the hinges, but they are cheap and you can pick them up here.

http://www.tapplastics.com/info/index.php?

For closing the enclosure, I bought nylon turn buttons, one screw into the vent frame will secure a turn stop to keep the door closed.

PIG-

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
aboreal lovers paridise

that was i , that did that thread , now if you wanna make some for me and save me some money that would be tight, tell me how much and let me know, im staying away from the plexglass cause it warps , those lids or tops or whatever you want to call them are made of glass , im really thinking of getting a couple, if you

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that was i , that did that thread , now if you wanna make some for me and save me some money that would be tight, tell me how much and let me know, im staying away from the plexglass cause it warps , those lids or tops or whatever you want to call them are made of glass , im really thinking of getting a couple, if you
I made these almost two yrs ago, and they haven't warped

I'll let you know how it works out;P

PIG-