Diversity (addiction) - want two arboreals more

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
After many years of keeping only visible terrestrials I will bring more diversity in my collecytion, again.

There should be no collection without an Avicularia species. Here I am eyeballing with a A. spec. Peru purple, because they should get very big for an Avi. Love the look of a versicolor, too, but they often max out at smaller smizes.

The other one should be an OW Asian arboreal, but not a Poeci species (I have P. tigrinawesseli) and not a O. violaceopes (too leggy).

Which big OW Asian arboreal would you recommend and which of them can you observe now and then?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After many years of keeping only visible terrestrials I will bring more diversity in my collecytion, again.

There should be no collection without an Avicularia species. Here I am eyeballing with a A. spec. Peru purple, because they should get very big for an Avi. Love the look of a versicolor, too, but they often max out at smaller smizes.

The other one should be an OW Asian arboreal, but not a Poeci species (I have P. tigrinawesseli) and not a O. violaceopes (too leggy).

Which big OW Asian arboreal would you recommend and which of them can you observe now and then?
I won’t recommend an OW arboreal to you as your first OW- at least there’s no OW on your profile.

Get any Avic you want to test the waters.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
I won’t recommend an OW arboreal to you as your first OW- at least there’s no OW on your profile.
Kept OW arboreals (Poecis, and O. violaceopes from 1999 around 2007..lol), then siwtched constantly to visible terrestrials.

My profile do not stand for my 24years of keeping T´s or when I am opening here a recommandation TR, that I am new in the hobby

EDIT/ : Actually I have one P- tigrinawesseli (listed in my profile)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Kept OW arboreals (Poecis, and O. violaceopes from 1999 around 2007..lol), then siwtched constantly to visible terrestrials.

My profile do not stand for my 24years of keeping T´s or when I am opening here a recommandation TR, that I am new in the hobby

EDIT/ : Actually I have one P- tigrinawesseli (listed in my profile)

Thanks for the direct, clarification!

Too bad you don’t want another Poki, I’d recommend P. rufilata

Maybe this will be helpful, though quite a few are terrestrial.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Tbf, Asian arboreals tend to be pretty reclusive (I have an Omothymus schioedtei and I hardly ever see her), I catch my Lampropelma nigerrimum female out every now and again but they only max out at around 6", if you're looking for something bigger that isn't Omothymus violaceopes then I'd look into Phormingochilus.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the direct, clarification!
No Problem!

Too bad you don’t want another Poki, I’d recommend P. rufilata
Oh, I would like to keep many more Pokies (esp. subufusca, miranda, regalis,rufilata) but I want to keep my collection as small as possible (around 20 +/-3), thatswhy I want diversity with different species.

Tbf, Asian arboreals tend to be pretty reclusive
I can remember, that was one of the reasons I switched to NW visible only! But without OW arboreals (or fossorials) a collection does not feel complete, now I have to get those missing T´s.

then I'd look into Phormingochilus.
Back then (end 90´s) Phormingochilus was not offered that much afair. But Phormingochilus caught really my interest too. One of this species could be an option.

But the look of O. schioedtei is really amazing, a shame that they live super reclusive.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Back then (end 90´s) Phormingochilus was not offered that much afair. But Phormingochilus caught really my interest too. One of this species could be an option.
They're pretty cheap and readily available at the moment, the only species from the genus that I've kept was a Phormingochilus sp. "Rufus" briefly (raised to juvie size, sexed as male, and then sold him to someone who was after a juvie male to raise for a future breeding project), I'd probably pick up another at some point though.

But the look of O. schioedtei is really amazing, a shame that they live super reclusive.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I went for that species over O. violaceopes (the other being that I'm not overly keen on most blue/purple species), I was hoping that she'd be like all the other "uber reclusive" species I have that I actually get to see pretty regularly but she lives up to the title lol (maybe she'll get a little bolder as she grows, still a juvie atm).

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
NW or OW, it is fun to observe how arboreal tarantulas behave differently from terrestrial / fossorial tarantulas.

That being said, it is also fun to observe / compare how different it is from one arboreal species to another.

I’d still recommend:
  • Caribena versicolor
  • Psalmopoeus cambridgei
  • Psalmopoeus irminia
Before anything else, to get to know, and know better, and get use to with arboreal tarantulas.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Someone is selling Cyriopagopus spec. Sumatran tiger, do the juvenile males and females look the same or are they changing the colors in young juvi stage (i.e. O. violaceopes, L. nigerrimum)?

Any C. Sumatran tiger keepers here? Stunning T!

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
I decided for and ordered :

0.0.1 Cyriopagopus. spec Sumatran tiger 1"
0.0.1 Poecilotheria subfusca Spec Lowland 1"
0.0.1 P. regalis 2i

Yes, Avic still missing, but you never can gone wrong with Poekis! So yeah, this OW arbroeal gap is defintely filled!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Next time around, I strongly recommend Phormingochilus sp. Phormingochilus is my favorite genus. I currently have sp Akcaya, sp Sabah Blue, and sp Rufus with intentions to get sp Sabah Dwarf and pennellhewlettorum in the future. Their coloration and patterning is just out of this world. Visibility wise, I'll usually see all of them after lights out and they're not frightened of a torch, but all my adult females are still quite young and that might change. I think the way the enclosures are setup greatly influences visibility TBH (IMO if they feel secure, they are much more confident). Temperament wise, I've noticed that mine are usually on the extreme ends of the spectrum and they'll bounce back and forth as well (usually dependent on time of day IME). When I've done daytime rehouses, they're usually quite subdued. They'll hunker down and refuse to move despite being dug up and being prodded (usually I'll have to get a prodding stick under them and lift them a bit to get them moving). On the opposite end of the spectrum, especially at night, if they get startled (like if you accidently breath on them or open their enclosure), they will make a mad dash for cover or immediately throw the legs back and bare the fangs. If you were able to keep and raise O. violaceopes, then you'll have no issue with Phormingochilus. Rufus is readily available and stays quite small, but Akcaya and Sabah Blue are drop dead gorgeous stunners.

Last edited:

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
For now I am done with OW arboreals, but they are all slings, after I sexed some males I will give them away and make room for other species .And then its turn for one/two Phormingochilus species. Indeed impressive species they have in the genus.

EDIT/ And that they are not that reclusive (as you said @l4nskyis ) is a very very big plus!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
EDIT/ And that they are not that reclusive (as you said @l4nskyis ) is a very very big plus!
That's just my experience with them. There are plenty of other keepers with dissenting opinions though (which I believe boils down to enclosure setup IMO). For me, I see them more than my P. muticus but less than my Avicularia avicularia M2.