Distance education?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Anybody out there in virtual land know of any distance education in arachnology? I know, I know...it's almost laughable...except, in my searches I've across a small amount of undergrad/grad programs in entomology. So maybe not so far-fetched?

Why distance, you may ask? Well, I'm attached to a devalued mortgage for the time being and relocating really isn't an option.

So...any leads would be appreciated. Cheers!

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm...

Well i was reading something about distance education on the paper today, On how it's work for some, but not all..... I have never tried it... so cant comment much.... but here's my two cents...
I guess it all depends on what your goals are.... if you have gone through the extent of having to ask us around here... It seems to me, your determined in getting a degree...
Wish i could help... But I don't know where to point you to...
Anyways good luck!! I hope you find what your looking for... Just found this very interesting... I never thought of that this type education was really recognized....... But i'm glad to have encountered your post... because i my self was thinking of upgrading or so called cont-education,....... but never thought about this route..... Cool...

Peace,
Armando

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you find one, let me know.

I'm doing online courses right now, but they're not science-related, so it's not like there would be a lab I'd have to attend or anything...it might be different for arachnology and require in-class labs.

Either way, let me know if you find one.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm taking online courses right now, and I have taken several in the past. In my experience courses that need some sort of "lab" are only offered hybrid. where you go twice a month for 2 or 3 hours.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I'm rethinking this now and will get in touch with one of the distance entomology programs to hash out some more information concerning an arachnological component. Petersons online shows 25 distance ento. programs, mostly pest-control related. However, with the push to rely less on chemicals in pest-control, there may be room for study of say, feeding patterns/distribution/birth rates, etc. of insect predators. Sorry, just thinking out loud.

The lab component is vexing, though I believe with upper division undergrad & masters programs, a rudimentary set of tools('scope & such) is encouraged if not mandatory.

If anybody on here is part of an ento. program and can shed some light, I'd love to hear from you...