display case

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a picture of a display case I had made for me to house and display some of my T's.It's climate controlled also.I have a thermostat inside the middle shelf controlling all the lights in each shelf.When temps fall to 78 dgrs the lights come on and go off when the temps reach 82 dgrs.I use 2 "moonlight" 25watt incandescent in each shelf to heat and the low light turning off and on periodically doesn't seem to bother the T's at all.Each shelf also has a 5 inch muffin fan attached to the side.Every 6 hrs they come on for two minutes,extracting the stale air and bringing in fresh air.I'm father nature..lol..Cost me about $400 CDN for all materials and hardware(excluding tanks and T's).I used plexiglass also instead of glass.The whole front is an opening door allowing me access to each tank.It'll house 12-5 1/2 gallon tanks and 3 medium sized plastic critter cages.It's also on wheels so it can be moved around very easily..peace

Last edited:

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
damn that is too cool, it cost 400 bones for all that???what spieces are you keeping in there?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice case man!! Real nice :)

and "..Cost me about $400 CDN for all materials and hardware..." - so whats that, like.. $3 USD?? ahhh, i'm just jagging you buddy :)

but seriously, thats a nice one! What T"s are in there?!

i thought i saw a snake, but i still don't have my new contacts, so...

peace
dave

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
top shelf:
P cambridgei.....T.blondi...P.irminia
Second shelf:
B.vagans...A.bicoloratum...B.smithi
Third shelf:
C.fascitaum....H.lividum....P.rufilata
Fourth shelf:
A.seemanni...C.paganus...G.rosea and two slings in delicups.

fifth shelf is empty as yet.I'm in the process of getting another display case made.This time to house my aboreals which take a taller tank.In that will be some poecilitheria and avicularias...9 tanks in all.I'll post that also when done....peace...

Last edited:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pelo, that is sweet! looks like the front frame is made of oak? what is the inside of the cabinet made of, melamine? what the heck is a "muffin" fan? a CPU fan perhaps?
if anything ever escapes it will still be contained inside the cabinet, good idea!
how are you dealing with the different humidity requirments of the t's inside the cabinet?
sorry for all the questions, but that is how I get a lot of ideas for my setups!
:D
Ed

Last edited:

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
muffin fan---tube axial fan...a small 5"x5"x2" casing with a 4" inset fan.I cut a 4 inch hole on the side of each shelf and attached the fans.They are all synchronized to run at the same time via a programable timer(once every six hrs for 2 minutes)..all electrical boxes,timer are on the back,hidden from view.As far as humidity.I try to house the T's requiring the same temps/humidity.Basically it's just water dishes and I take a jiffy cloth and soak it,then set it on top of the tank.I can leave the substrate relatively dry to help prevent molds and nasty critters.If I need extra humidity for one shelf such as for the T.blondi I just add an extra wet j-cloth...quite easy to maintain a good humidity..especially with incandescent lighting.Seems to suck the moisture out of the cloths and into the air very efficiently.I can get fairly accurate and different levels of humidity on each shelf quite easily actually..My mexicans are around 60-70% RH while the T.blondi shelf is about 85%RH.The whole cabinet is of 5/8ths thick pine plywood(two sides good)..stained with an aerosol minwax stain/sealer to seal it from excess moisture and give it the oak look.It's non-smelling within one day and dries within 5-6 hrs.(3 coats)I did it in an oak color...peace...

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Nice!

I like Ed's, too (Atavuss) - he has a slick rack. I'll be constructing one this summer. I need to consider a design to accommodate the various species I plan to attain.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice set-up!
I would like to have a room just for my T's for now. It would be great though to have them in something that is climate controlled. I worry during the weather extremes if my T's are ok or not. Something like what you have would save me alot of worrying. Nice work:)

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That looks very cool. I personally like to have things more mobile so that I can move them around.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Very Nice case you built yourself there. I would love something like that. Would have so much floor space. Right now the tarantulas own our bedroom and we sleep out on the futon... lol ya its sad but i actually like the futon more.