discharged emboli?

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
how do you tell if an emboli has been discharged during mating? I was pairing my geniculatas just now and he inserted (at a dodgy angle) then the female tried to crush and bite him. I dont know if he had done or if he hurt her in some way. She isnt twitching like after last pairing. He legged it fast as a pokie when she did that. On closer inspection now hes out and next to me, i can see his left emboli is still prominent but i dont know if thats a good or bad sign as i have never noticed it in any other matings before. I hope he hasnt damaged it trying to leg it while inserted or something. Is there a way to visually tell if an emboli is loaded? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A good way to tell if he unloaded is....if he re-loads after you`ve removed him from the females enclosure;)....then you know hes is reloaded,..then wait a week, and pair him up again!...jus incase you have any doubts about the 1st pairings....if she doesnt except him, theres a good chance he got the job done the 1st time around.Good luck!,...a couple thousand babies could be comin your way!

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check the female, her epigastric furrow will be a little more open directly after a mating.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Check the female, her epigastric furrow will be a little more open directly after a mating.
Like this:

And if you're lucky, you'll even see the sperm packet, just like in my pic. :D

Or maybe you wont, since yours is a terrestrial species. :/

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
wow thats all really helpful! Thanks! He hasnt made a sperm web and wants to go in again, drumming and the likes. Why do they insist on mating whether they have reloaded or not? Doesnt it defeat the object a little. I havent seen any evidence of a sperm web anywhere in his enclosure (been through it with a fine toothed comb looking for any particularly thick white strands), so im sure he isnt just doing them sneakily when im not looking.

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

Like this:

And if you're lucky, you'll even see the sperm packet, just like in my pic. :D

Or maybe you wont, since yours is a terrestrial species. :/
that a P. Ornata?? Shes lovely :)

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that a P. Ornata?? Shes lovely :)
Yep, thanks. She eventually laid a sac for me and gave me a bunch of babies. :) Both her and my other female are gravid again and both are looking to lay in the next week or so. (hopefully)

If your male is drumming then he's made a sperm web and is ready to go.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
thanks, hope your slings and do well. I have a mm metallica cohabbing with the female at the moment, they have been together around 2 weeks. Any advice on breeding pokies? I always fail with them :( am i doing something wrong temp wise or not replicating the seasons properly?, i mist heavily a week before his intro, then afterwards, i let it go dryish. Then after a few months when shes hopefully gravid, i give them a soaking but they never sac