Disabled A. Minatrix Recovery (Bad Molt)

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
This thread is just about my little A. minatrix sling that I got about 2 weeks ago. It went through a bad molt a couple days after I got it and seven of its legs and its pedipals got stuck in the molt.

Day 1
It only has one leg free from the molt. I left it alone for the night hoping it would molt on its own, but woke up to see no progress and decided to help it out if the molt the best I could.

I got some paint brushes, water, and small tweezers and carefully tried to free its legs and pedipals from the molt. I was able to free 2 legs of the molt, one leg still has the old exoskeleton stuck to it (not quite sure what to do about it, I can't remove it and I don't want to remove the leg. So I left it alone) and one leg was already free. The other 4 legs and the pedipals were lost in the process and the spider ended up with one usable leg and 3 that are hardened in a strange way and pretty much useless.

After removing what I could of the molt:

Over the next week and a half I kept it in a well ventalated deli cup with moist paper towels and would put water up to its mouth two or three times a day to give it an opportunity to drink.

Day 10:

Today marks 10 days since the bad molt and I was able to get the spider to take a roach! I offered it a live B. lateralis roach with tweezers, and after clumsily striking at it several times, it roled over on its back and was able to "hug" and hold the roach to its mouth with its messed up legs and is eating it now.

AshS

Arachnosquire
This thread is just about my little A. minatrix sling that I got about 2 weeks ago. It went through a bad molt a couple days after I got it and seven of its legs and its pedipals got stuck in the molt.

Day 1
It only has one leg free from the molt. I left it alone for the night hoping it would molt on its own, but woke up to see no progress and decided to help it out if the molt the best I could.

I got some paint brushes, water, and small tweezers and carefully tried to free its legs and pedipals from the molt. I was able to free 2 legs of the molt, one leg still has the old exoskeleton stuck to it (not quite sure what to do about it, I can't remove it and I don't want to remove the leg. So I left it alone) and one leg was already free. The other 4 legs and the pedipals were lost in the process and the spider ended up with one usable leg and 3 that are hardened in a strange way and pretty much useless.

Over the next week and a half I kept it in a well ventalated deli cup with moist paper towels and would put water up to its mouth two or three times a day to give it an opportunity to drink.

Day 10:

Today marks 10 days since the bad molt and I was able to get the spider to take a roach! I offered it a live B. lateralis roach with tweezers, and after clumsily striking at it several times, it roled over on its back and was able to "hug" and hold the roach to its mouth with its messed up legs and is eating it now.
That's awesome! Hope this little guy makes it to his next molt, things are looking good. Please keep us updated with how he is doing.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Day 1

Day 10:

It's sad to see a sling in that sort of state, I've been there with a B annitha/smithi losing 4 legs but alls fine now.

The great thing about your little guy is that it's eating and that can only be a good thing. It should give you hope that it'll make a full recovery

cold blood

Staff member

Day 1

Day 10:

IME if you can get it to eat a good meal or two like that, its chances of survival are high...bet it makes it to the next molt.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice job accommodating it's injuries! Like cold blood said, keep that up and it will be fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Minatrix is one of my absolute favorites. Never underestimate nature and an animal with the drive to survive.

Timc

Arachnosquire
Good luck to you and your baby! Taking the roach is a great sign and with a couple more I'm sure you'll get a molt with a few legs regenerating.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@N1ghtFire - Wow, I wish I was as tough as your little A. minatrix. :bucktooth: I am so glad that it is doing well and taking food! Grow little one, grow! Do you name your Ts? Would you consider naming this one? I think it deserves a kick-butt name. (What language is language?)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hang in there, bubba! Be strong!
If it's a girl, name her Wonder Woman, and if it's a boy, name it Superman.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
@N1ghtFire - Wow, I wish I was as tough as your little A. minatrix. :bucktooth: I am so glad that it is doing well and taking food! Grow little one, grow! Do you name your Ts? Would you consider naming this one? I think it deserves a kick-butt name. (What language is language?)
If it turns out male, I would name it Lt. Dan. "You got new legs!"