Disabled A. Minatrix Recovery (Bad Molt)

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
@FrDoc what part of my post didn't you understand?

I was congratulating the guy on his slings successful molt, i don't see how that can be any more clear.
I think they wanted clarification on what thread you were refering to where someone threw their Ts away. I am curious about it too.

And thank you! I am proud of this little sling. :) It is one of my favorite species

Edit: Read those comments wrong. I see now, he marked clarification on one of your earlier posts and It was @FrDoc who mentioned someone throwing Ts away. Lol

Last edited:

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
My A. minatrix molted again, this is the second time since its bad molt. It still dropped one leg after molting, but the other 7 of its legs are fine! Other than the fact one or two are a tad smaller than normal. I finally moved this T back into its original 32oz deli cup enclosure.

I took these pictures while rehousing, I don't normally handle my Ts just for anyone who was concerned. :D
Amazing, great work both of you!

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
My A. minatrix molted again, this is the second time since its bad molt. It still dropped one leg after molting, but the other 7 of its legs are fine! Other than the fact one or two are a tad smaller than normal. I finally moved this T back into its original 32oz deli cup enclosure.

I took these pictures while rehousing, I don't normally handle my Ts just for anyone who was concerned. :D
YAY!!! I think about this little guy all the time, and I am so glad it is doing so well!

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Now:

About 8 months ago:

My little A. minatrix molted a couple days ago and has finally made a full recovery from its bad molt. It has regrown all of its limbs! And judging from the last molt I have a little boy! :D My older A. minatrix is a female, so this is perfect!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I just read all from page one to four. What an amazing recovery, and for your dedication well acknowledged. That last comparison pictures (now, and 8 months ago) are meaning a lot. Thanks for sharing this!

Calelpito

Arachnopeon
Hello.

I'm having the same problem with my p.vittata
I was just wondering .. How long did u keep the sling in icu?

This thread is just about my little A. minatrix sling that I got about 2 weeks ago. It went through a bad molt a couple days after I got it and seven of its legs and its pedipals got stuck in the molt.

Day 1
It only has one leg free from the molt. I left it alone for the night hoping it would molt on its own, but woke up to see no progress and decided to help it out if the molt the best I could.

I got some paint brushes, water, and small tweezers and carefully tried to free its legs and pedipals from the molt. I was able to free 2 legs of the molt, one leg still has the old exoskeleton stuck to it (not quite sure what to do about it, I can't remove it and I don't want to remove the leg. So I left it alone) and one leg was already free. The other 4 legs and the pedipals were lost in the process and the spider ended up with one usable leg and 3 that are hardened in a strange way and pretty much useless.

After removing what I could of the molt:

Over the next week and a half I kept it in a well ventalated deli cup with moist paper towels and would put water up to its mouth two or three times a day to give it an opportunity to drink.

Day 10:

Today marks 10 days since the bad molt and I was able to get the spider to take a roach! I offered it a live B. lateralis roach with tweezers, and after clumsily striking at it several times, it roled over on its back and was able to "hug" and hold the roach to its mouth with its messed up legs and is eating it now.
This thread is just about my little A. minatrix sling that I got about 2 weeks ago. It went through a bad molt a couple days after I got it and seven of its legs and its pedipals got stuck in the molt.

Day 1
It only has one leg free from the molt. I left it alone for the night hoping it would molt on its own, but woke up to see no progress and decided to help it out if the molt the best I could.

I got some paint brushes, water, and small tweezers and carefully tried to free its legs and pedipals from the molt. I was able to free 2 legs of the molt, one leg still has the old exoskeleton stuck to it (not quite sure what to do about it, I can't remove it and I don't want to remove the leg. So I left it alone) and one leg was already free. The other 4 legs and the pedipals were lost in the process and the spider ended up with one usable leg and 3 that are hardened in a strange way and pretty much useless.

After removing what I could of the molt:

Over the next week and a half I kept it in a well ventalated deli cup with moist paper towels and would put water up to its mouth two or three times a day to give it an opportunity to drink.

Day 10:

Today marks 10 days since the bad molt and I was able to get the spider to take a roach! I offered it a live B. lateralis roach with tweezers, and after clumsily striking at it several times, it roled over on its back and was able to "hug" and hold the roach to its mouth with its messed up legs and is eating it now.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Hello.

I'm having the same problem with my p.vittata
I was just wondering .. How long did u keep the sling in icu?
Did you revive this thread just to ask a question you posited and had answered in another thread?

Calelpito

Arachnopeon
Did you revive this thread just to ask a question you posited and had answered in another thread?
Yes you said to move my sling back to its home So I did ..Then after reading this minatrix sling that survived the same problem, was kept in a icu for over a week. I'm just trying to find the best treatment for my sling so I'm asking in another thread. Is this against the rules? cause if it is I don't give a damm I'll ask questions and revive all the threads I can to get my lil guy. Back in shape

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yes you said to move my sling back to its home So I did ..Then after reading this minatrix sling that survived the same problem, was kept in a icu for over a week. I'm just trying to find the best treatment for my sling so I'm asking in another thread. Is this against the rules? cause if it is I don't give a damm I'll ask questions and revive all the threads I can to get my lil guy. Back in shape
Generally we like to keep people from asking the same question in different places. Regardless, your circumstances are NOT the same at all. This T in this thread lost seven legs and could not move around an enclosure to hunt or drink. Your T lost one leg. Seven-legged Ts are not in danger.

Now, unless your T dropped all of it's legs since your thread, or it's hardened up and its legs are so mangled that it cannot move-- it doesn't belong in an ICU.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
cause if it is I don't give a damm I'll ask questions and revive all the threads I can to get my lil guy. Back in shape
If you really want to get it back in shape you should have listened to @miss moxie before... ICUs have a tendency to kill tarantulas. @N1ghtFire had no choice with a seriously disabled tarantula.

Why do you ask questions at all if you have no intention to listen to people with experience?

Calelpito

Arachnopeon
Generally we like to keep people from asking the same question in different places. Regardless, your circumstances are NOT the same at all. This T in this thread lost seven legs and could not move around an enclosure to hunt or drink. Your T lost one leg. Seven-legged Ts are not in danger.

Now, unless your T dropped all of it's legs since your thread, or it's hardened up and its legs are so mangled that it cannot move-- it doesn't belong in an ICU.
If you really want to get it back in shape you should have listened to @miss moxie before... ICUs have a tendency to kill tarantulas. @N1ghtFire had no choice with a seriously disabled tarantula.

Why do you ask questions at all if you have no intention to listen to people with experience?

I did listen to u I moved it back. And honestly I didn't think it was possible but it looks even worse now, and hasnt moved at all. Then this morning. I noticed it looked very flat. It's funny all this experience u should ask more questions not assume things you don't own the sling. You think I dont have the same problem ? The legs are severely mangled he cant move normally . My so sling has become severely dehydrated. I'm moving him back in the icu. Thanks for doing nothing but being a complete stuck up b!tc# to someone trying to find info on a baby tarantula. Next time you think ur gonna help someone ask questions maybe ask for a picture. Il make sure next time to stay out of this wack forum

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't really call the container I kept it in an ICU. I had it set up like any other enclosure, just with paper towels at the bottom instead of dirt. I changed the paper towels weekly and kept half of the paper towels moist. I kept it in that container for over 2 months (2 molts) until it regained its ability to climb, web, and eat on its own then moved it back into its original container. If your spider can walk, eat, climb, and do everything for itself then I would suggest keeping it in its original container.

Last edited:

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Thanks for doing nothing but being a complete stuck up b!tc# to someone trying to find info on a baby tarantula
This language and tone is unnecessary, you are here to try and solicit information from more experienced keepers and when you received it you went and reposted the information in another thread to try an illicit a different response. This was unnecessary and it clutters up the forum with repeated posts.

You yourself admitted a lack of experience with tarantulas and yet how are you so sure it's dehydrated? Most of the damage to your T was most probably done by you moving it during a molt, which is a very VERY basic no-no.

There is no reason to insult people who took the time and effort to help you for no reason other than to help.

If you want to stick your T in an ICU, go ahead, it's almost CERTAINLY going to cause more damage than help but you seem insistent and very sure of your diagnosis. In the end it's your T, do what you want but don't try to pass the buck like it's someone else's fault, grow up.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I did listen to u I moved it back. And honestly I didn't think it was possible but it looks even worse now, and hasnt moved at all. Then this morning. I noticed it looked very flat. It's funny all this experience u should ask more questions not assume things you don't own the sling. You think I dont have the same problem ? The legs are severely mangled he cant move normally . My so sling has become severely dehydrated. I'm moving him back in the icu. Thanks for doing nothing but being a complete stuck up b!tc# to someone trying to find info on a baby tarantula. Next time you think ur gonna help someone ask questions maybe ask for a picture. Il make sure next time to stay out of this wack forum
If you would like to dm me pictures of your spiders situation I'd be happy to help give advice about what worked for me. But I would suggest editing you last post to be less rude, it was unnecessary. Everyone here just wants to help and wants what is best for your spider.

Since you moved it back to an ICU I would suggest setting it up similar to how I did mine. Line the bottom of a container with paper towels, put in a water cap, and keep the half with the water cap slightly moist. You dont want the whole container wet. Put in a few fake plants in the container for the sling to hide under or climb on, and make sure there is pleanty of ventalation on the sides of the container. Put the Ts mouth in the water cap often to give it an opportunity to drink.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Listen-- it should have never been put in an ICU in the first place. You said it had its molt stuck to one leg, so you moved a post-molt T who was quite fragile into a stuffy, humid enclosure. ICUs are NOT the cure all people, including yourself, seem to believe they are. They are best suited for Ts who are dehydrated and only when the species comes from humid, tropical climates. Right after a tarantula molts they are incredibly delicate because their exoskeleton hasn't hardened yet. You disturbed them at this very fragile stage, not me. I've given you nothing but sound advice.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Listen-- it should have never been put in an ICU in the first place. You said it had its molt stuck to one leg, so you moved a post-molt T who was quite fragile into a stuffy, humid enclosure. ICUs are NOT the cure all people, including yourself, seem to believe they are. They are best suited for Ts who are dehydrated and only when the species comes from humid, tropical climates. Right after a tarantula molts they are incredibly delicate because their exoskeleton hasn't hardened yet. You disturbed them at this very fragile stage, not me. I've given you nothing but sound advice.
I looked at his thread and I think the biggest thing is the need for pictures. You're advice is perfect, but his sling may be stuck and mangled worse than his description makes it sound. ICU still wouldn't help, but it might explain why it's still going downhill. It's most likely going to die regardless if that's the case.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I looked at his thread and I think the biggest thing is the need for pictures. You're advice is perfect, but his sling may be stuck and mangled worse than his description makes it sound. ICU still wouldn't help, but it might explain why it's still going downhill. It's most likely going to die regardless if that's the case.
That's true. I'm wondering if it's not a wet molt, though he doesn't mention them being shiny. Just the 'flatter' description sounds very odd.