Disabled A. Minatrix Recovery (Bad Molt)

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Yay! Finally molted!
Found him a few minutes ago fully molted, still on his back. So thankfully didn't get stuck in the molt again!

Both pedipalps regrew and most of the legs are back to normal. I will update more on how the recovery looks once he flips back upright from molting.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight

Okay! So this little guy is up to six good legs now! It's right back leg it had before dropped with the molt, and the front right leg is bent/folded over now, and looks like it may drop it as well. It's other previous bad leg on the left side seems to still have a slight bend to it at the end, but is still functional. All of the newly formed legs and pedipals look great! I am going to keep him in his paper towel lined container until it's exoskeleton hardens up then he gets to go back to his own normal enclosure!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Yay! Finally molted!
Found him a few minutes ago fully molted, still on his back. So thankfully didn't get stuck in the molt again!

Both pedipalps regrew and most of the legs are back to normal. I will update more on how the recovery looks once he flips back upright from molting.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Eva

Arachnosquire
What wonderful news!:p
Looks like the mangled legs caused some problems though! That which was missing is now completely fine and all that was malformed turned out still malformed, no? Hopefully he will cast them off now that he's got so much to choose from (lol:D) and next time he moults he will be a 10/10 spider again!
Anyway, I am so glad he made it through!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
This thread is just about my little A. minatrix sling that I got about 2 weeks ago. It went through a bad molt a couple days after I got it and seven of its legs and its pedipals got stuck in the molt.

Day 1
It only has one leg free from the molt. I left it alone for the night hoping it would molt on its own, but woke up to see no progress and decided to help it out if the molt the best I could.

I got some paint brushes, water, and small tweezers and carefully tried to free its legs and pedipals from the molt. I was able to free 2 legs of the molt, one leg still has the old exoskeleton stuck to it (not quite sure what to do about it, I can't remove it and I don't want to remove the leg. So I left it alone) and one leg was already free. The other 4 legs and the pedipals were lost in the process and the spider ended up with one usable leg and 3 that are hardened in a strange way and pretty much useless.

After removing what I could of the molt:

Over the next week and a half I kept it in a well ventalated deli cup with moist paper towels and would put water up to its mouth two or three times a day to give it an opportunity to drink.

Day 10:

Today marks 10 days since the bad molt and I was able to get the spider to take a roach! I offered it a live B. lateralis roach with tweezers, and after clumsily striking at it several times, it roled over on its back and was able to "hug" and hold the roach to its mouth with its messed up legs and is eating it now.
That's fantastic news, it's drinking, eating, which are obviously the most important things for it to get to it's next molt. I applaud your efforts sir, I'm really optimistic about the wee one making it through to another molt, well played my friend....good luck.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Today is 1 month since this guys bad molt. He is still doing fine and is eating a meal right now! I've been watering him every day/other day by putting his mouth into a cap of water and am tong feeding roaches with their head crushed.

My other A. minatrix about this size seems to be molting about every 2 months, so hopefully this guy is halfway to his next molt and recovery. :p
Sterling work, happy to hear the little one is doing so well, with your dedication and the little one eating and drinking, a molt will soon come around.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
He has a blad spot on his abdomen now where it drags on the ground.

I have him on paper towels still, don't know what else to do to help that. When I put him on cocofiber he couldn't move at all. He just kinda made a "cocofiber angel" with his legs and didnt move anywhere.

He is feisty today though! I was just trying to scoot him into another container while I changed the paper towles and he kept striking at my straw. Fun little gif of it: http://i.imgur.com/AFM9iRP.gifv
That's fantastic, he's even striking at your straw, he's gonna make it, I've got that feeling about this tenacious little guy.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Sorry all my posts were at the end of the thread, but I knew he was going to make it, just by the way he was taking prey, drinking and your dedication, great news he finally molted again, must keep up with these threads - superb news.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
My A. minatrix molted again, this is the second time since its bad molt. It still dropped one leg after molting, but the other 7 of its legs are fine! Other than the fact one or two are a tad smaller than normal. I finally moved this T back into its original 32oz deli cup enclosure.

I took these pictures while rehousing, I don't normally handle my Ts just for anyone who was concerned. :D

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My A. minatrix molted again, this is the second time since its bad molt. It still dropped one leg after molting, but the other 7 of its legs are fine! Other than the fact one or two are a tad smaller than normal. I finally moved this T back into its original 32oz deli cup enclosure.

I took these pictures while rehousing, I don't normally handle my Ts just for anyone who was concerned. :D
YAYYYY IT'S SO CUTE OH MY GOSH I WANT ONE

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Amazing recovery -- this lil guy is definitely a survivor! Anyway, thrilled for both you and the T! Yay!!!! :astonished::astonished:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting contrast in people's dispositions. You have N1ghtFire providing truly extraordinary above and beyond care for a sling, and another thread recently where some slob(s) are throwing healthy T's in the garbage.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
@FrDoc what part of my post didn't you understand?

I was congratulating the guy on his slings successful molt, i don't see how that can be any more clear.