"DIRTY HARRY" scorpion

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey all, I contacted Pet Kingdom in San Diego and asked what species of scorps they had on hand. They told me Emps, Barks, Rockies, Thick tailed and what they called a Dirty Harry scorp. I asked him what exactly that was and he said that his normal scorp guy could not identify it. Any guesses?? I know, you probably need a pic for identification. As far as the Thicktailed goes, they are more than likely Fattails. He did not know the species of them either. It's scary when a petshop has potentially dangerous creatures that it is selling to a mostly stupid public. Go figure.

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i agree. at lll they have southern american yellow scorpions for an insignificant 12.99, but hey, they can't identify the subspecies or anything and people figure they are not that deadly but in all reality if one of those got too a kid, the kid would probably be in trouble. i have realized there are a lot of scorps being sold, no questions asked and no real knowledge of them either. also my friend got a tunisian fat tail labeled yellow fat tail. they just bunch them all together. even though normal fat tails are pretty dangerous. It would always be nice to know that you have a tunisian so you know you don't have that extra hour to go to the hospital.

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh yeah, lets sell the Retics, Rocks, and Anacondas when they are a cute 1-3 feet long, and let the buyers find out that these snakes can bypass 15-20 feet long in a few years. You might as well sell cobras in the same area as scorps (except most people know what a cobra is). California rules and regs will not allow you to own, buy, sell venemous reps, but if you want a stonefish or a Leiurus quinquestriatus, go ahead and get one. Enough ranting and raving. I have a family that is most precious to me, and I want to know what I am getting. I have enough brains to realize that certain species are dangerous, but I am prepared to forego stupidity and do research on the animals that I wish to procure. My wife agrees with me (finally). I allowed her to get a kitten last week on her promise that I could get a scorp (any kind I want). So, I will be looking for the species I want (Androctonus), And I will house them accordingly. Thanks for all your replies.

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
PIter said:
I think he might have ment Desert Hairy.
Yah I was thinking the same thing. I actually like Dirty Hairy better though. {D That's a good name for an H. arizonensis.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah, its probably H. Spadix or Arizonensis, those are probably the most well known 'hairy' or 'harry' scorps...

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks guys. You are probably right. I will have to go and check it out. My relatives out at Lake Havasu (California Side) gave me a "gift" of a H. arizonensus. It was a nice 4 incher but it was dead (I would have preferred it alive). I still keep the dried out body. It's a magnificent scorp.

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
konrad16660 said:
i agree. at lll they have southern american yellow scorpions for an insignificant 12.99, but hey, they can't identify the subspecies or anything and people figure they are not that deadly but in all reality if one of those got too a kid, the kid would probably be in trouble. i have realized there are a lot of scorps being sold, no questions asked and no real knowledge of them either. also my friend got a tunisian fat tail labeled yellow fat tail. they just bunch them all together. even though normal fat tails are pretty dangerous. It would always be nice to know that you have a tunisian so you know you don't have that extra hour to go to the hospital.
tunisian fat tail doesnt do anything for me. common names really shouldnt be used with scorpions other than emps and flat rocks. thats about the only two commo names i know of that two people will both be n the same page with on a street corner havi a discussion.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The need for the use of common names is instigated by the petshopindustry.....If you sell animals, what shall appeal to the major public??
Smeringurus mesaensis (what???????) or Sand or Sanddune scorpion?

En that's why there shall always be confusion about scorpion ID. And because I think the pet shops won't change, I think we should change.
At least most of the people who read and post regularly on fora like this, know a lot more than the everage shopattendant....
If they don't wanna know better, we should know better and in a lot of cases we do!

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you would be amazed how much more respect and admiration the public gives with their actual names. my gf has picked up a lot of info since I never use common names. its made her much more interested in scorpions and have more respect for them since she wants to figure out the "huh?" factor.

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OSP, my wife is the same way. I do agree that scientific names should be used for scorps, but the people at the shops just don't know what they have either way. Oh well......................

David