Dirt Curtain / Web Tube Appreciation Thread!

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Couldn't find a thread specifically dedicated to these. I recently got my first dirt curtain builders and I love them so much. Quite a difference between these and your basic ground dwellers, not that terrestrials aren't cool too, but there's just something extra special about the ones you actually have to search for.

Here's my Psalmopoeus cambridgei (bottom enclosure) and my Psalmopoeus pulcher (vial on top, can't actually see it but I swear it's in there!) settling in nicely. Apologies for the terrible glare, I only have so many hands :)
20210414_102307.jpg 20210414_102503.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Oooo im excited for this will have to take some and post them whhen I get off of work!!

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Couldn't find a thread specifically dedicated to these. I recently got my first dirt curtain builders and I love them so much. Quite a difference between these and your basic ground dwellers, not that terrestrials aren't cool too, but there's just something extra special about the ones you actually have to search for.

Here's my Psalmopoeus cambridgei (bottom enclosure) and my Psalmopoeus pulcher (vial on top, can't actually see it but I swear it's in there!) settling in nicely. Apologies for the terrible glare, I only have so many hands :)
View attachment 381762 View attachment 381763
Wow, that gimungous container with the aloe. Is that a self built acrylic box?

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Oooo im excited for this will have to take some and post them whhen I get off of work!!
Can't wait!

Wow, that gimungous container with the aloe. Is that a self built acrylic box?
Haha, I was like, is it really that big? It's only 4x4! Then I realized you're talking about the one behind it, lol. That one is 8x12 filled to almost the top for my T. albo with an air plant that I'm probably going to take out. Both are Gary Plastics. Got all of these together for $50.
20210308_165232.jpg 20210308_165544.jpg

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Can't wait!

Haha, I was like, is it really that big? It's only 4x4! Then I realized you're talking about the one behind it, lol. That one is 8x12 filled to almost the top for my T. albo with an air plant that I'm probably going to take out. Both are Gary Plastics. Got all of these together for $50.
View attachment 381767 View attachment 381768
Cool, checking it out now.
" Prices are per thousand quantities" what...

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I’ll have to try to get some pics later, the glare is at is worst right now. Psalms make some really cool fortresses. All of mine have at least three entrances that they’ve build with moss and substraight. It’s pretty cool to see their work.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Not a T, but some of my favourite trapdoors. Arbanitis sp. Bellthorpe is a tube building species, as adults they can build vertical tunnels up to 1ft high
IMG_20210313_194318.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not a T, but some of my favourite trapdoors. Arbanitis sp. Bellthorpe is a tube building species, as adults they can build vertical tunnels up to 1ft high
View attachment 381770
This is fantastic!! What is the behavioral/evolutionary adaptation to doing this in the wild?(if you know) Do they build them up along things or also as just solitary spikes up out of the soil? Curiosity is peaked!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
This is fantastic!! What is the behavioral/evolutionary adaptation to doing this in the wild?(if you know) Do they build them up along things or also as just solitary spikes up out of the soil? Curiosity is peaked!
Up against the side of existing structures such as a rock or plant stem. Not really sure what the reason is, the fee tube building ones I'm aware of all overlap with regular open hole or lid makers so maybe it's just a way of targeting a different pret item

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Up against the side of existing structures such as a rock or plant stem.
hmmmm based on that I could see this maybe targeting plant pests coming down from feeding on plant material? Idk really unique behavior, im going to hhave to look some more into this I find it incredibly interesting!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
hmmmm based on that I could see this maybe targeting plant pests coming down from feeding on plant material? Idk really unique behavior, im going to hhave to look some more into this I find it incredibly interesting!
PM me about them, I've had 4 of the 5 known ones and raised a few hundred slings. Not much detailed info online about them

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
A cricket is waiting to be eaten, right in front of the trap door from my I. mira!

PXL_20210415_051631864.jpg

Last edited:

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Not a T but I figured you still might be interested.
IMG_9438.JPG IMG_9440.JPG IMG_9442.JPG
And (as you can somewhat see in the second picture) the ground is covered with a large web.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
View attachment 381770
That's incredible, a foot high! Thanks for sharing.

@RoachCoach Did you find the boxes? I should have sent the link but I was on my way out the door headed to spotty reception areas.

@Smotzer You're up! I know you got some ;)

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
That's incredible, a foot high! Thanks for sharing.

@RoachCoach Did you find the boxes? I should have sent the link but I was on my way out the door headed to spotty reception areas.

@Smotzer You're up! I know you got some ;)
Ya, thanks for the recommend. I don't have any bugs for the sizes they have. I'm currently hand-me-downing enclosures right now. Once my Stirmi get big, which is a whole hell of a lot sooner than I thought, I'll be grabbing them. I'm poor manning the enclosures atm. I'm envious of all these nice setups until I get my spiders display ready. Then it's overtime for them crystal clear sets and stained shelves.