Directly Misting The Tarantula

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nine times out of ten a tarantula will flee (or otherwise react negatively) when sprayed with water - if that isn't sufficient evidence of a preference to not be sprayed with water, well, you are beyond convincing - period.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When you get dozens of keepers with potentially hundreds of cumulative years of keeping, giving their observations across a great deal of time, with a great deal of species and the op completely discounts them because we weren't wearing lab coats or writing dissertations on the subject, and assuming that our observations are not good enough to be anything but opinion because of that, there's going to be a level of frustration.
I'd like to point out that some people who influenced society through science were not formerly trained as scientists, one example is Gregor Mendel. There are scientists and scientists doing their graduate work in Ts on this forum too. And most of us don't wear white coats either.

---------- Post added 09-20-2014 at 02:24 PM ----------

View attachment 130113

"Try misting with something other than water, for example carrot juice. Then your tarantula will have improved vision."

What a phony stock photo that is hahaha...Clever.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It sounds like you don't think she's a real scientist. But how can that be? She's wearing a lab coat. :wink:
Short answer- She's too pretty. The majority of women in science aren't that pretty, and interestingly the women say the same about the men.

Yet, if you walk by a nursing school class, the classes typically have a much higher proportion of attractive women.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Short answer- She's too pretty. The majority of women in science aren't that pretty, and interestingly the women say the same about the men.

Yet, if you walk by a nursing school class, the classes typically have a much higher proportion of attractive women.
You may be on to something...that neckline is awful low-cut.

Does the long answer involve 'lack of eye protection'?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You may be on to something...that neckline is awful low-cut.

Does the long answer involve 'lack of eye protection'?
No the long answer involves more info than I was willing to type, it's long so I wouldn't sound too sexist. The first answer sounds a bit sexist to the casual reader or ultra left wing nutjob. However, I really don't care if people think I am sexist because they don't know me.

The neckline isn't low at all. That's what you'd see in a lab. Sometimes you'd see more. This doesn't apply to industrial or government labs however. Actually A LOT of scientists don't wear eye protection. I know someone that wears eye protection when he drills but doesn't when he's in the lab. Being in the lab isn't necessarily being in a hazardous environment.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I always remove them into a catch cup the spray and put the back in.

I find apraying the tarantula directly will just equal a tarantula on the loose...

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Same here.
when I mist, now that I have an Avic avic... I mist into the opposite corner of wherever it is at the time, or, if I really want to mist closer, I use a small piece of paper or something to use as a block so that none of the water hits her directly ever.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nine times out of ten a tarantula will flee (or otherwise react negatively) when sprayed with water - if that isn't sufficient evidence of a preference to not be sprayed with water, well, you are beyond convincing - period.
9 times out of ten a person at the dentist will flinch (or otherwise react negatively) when given a shot - if that isn't evidence that shots are bad then you are beyond convincing. Same argument could be used with children eating the proper foods, taking bad tasting medications, doing a job that one dislikes, going to funerals (sometimes weddings), filing an insurance claim, watching a bad movie, getting chewed out by the boss, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum. The argument that just because they don't like it has absolutely zero impact on whether it has any benefit for them or is detrimental to them. Liking something is not a criteria to use when determining how healthy or unhealthy it is.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
90 replies to the well worn topic of "misting a tarantula". Fantastic. Even if there were any "scientists" left that haven't been turned off by the pure drivel that oozes from this particular sub-forum I'm certain this would do it. They won't be back to answer this query. Congratulations on on your complete and collective failure as a species on your interwebz machines. If there is a high water mark, this is well below it, tool users. Not even worth modding.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
No one knows this for sure, no one, not even scientists studying them to their fullest extent....if you are waiting for that info...you have a lot of waiting ahead of you, I don't care who you talk to, that info isn't available. Reading a t's mind isn't an option for anyone on this planet.

Years of observations provide us with the most educated information. This has ZERO to do with emotions, human or otherwise. Our collective decades of interactions and observations by far provide us with the best info we have available and this is EXACTLY what was provided and then promptly discounted.
What info was discounted? I *flat out* gave him *my* experience that what he was doing was only "wrong" in so far as it didn't enable drinking by spraying directly. What I *have* observed is the discounting of the "common wisdom" that misting is worthless and stressful cause Stan or certain keepers say so, despite a number of *other* experienced keepers having flat out stated misting is the *only* way they water spiders with zero consequence. This entire discussion *has* been pure emotion - hell, someone had the gall the call misting abuse. That's purely emotional with *zero* fact behind it.

I'm starting to hope Chad returns and locks this thread. There was some good ideas here until people accused the OP of abuse and torture and ignoring advice when, in reality, only *one* perspective was being ignored in favor of another perspective.

Edit: zon works, too. I think this thread has served its purpose. Can we end this now?

cold blood

Staff member
yeeeeaaaaah, I wasn't referring to you discounting anything said, I was referring to the op basically discounting EVERYTHING anyone had to say that wasn't what he was looking to hear.

And I was saying that emotions have no place in the topic. Just observations. My, and many others observations make it clear, to us at least, that they would rather not be directly misted. Goodoldneon said it in a nutshell. I don't need a study to show me what is obvious from over a decade of observation, others seem to feel the same way. I agree with you 100% regarding the ridiculously emotional aspect.

Was I really that difficult to follow?

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
9 times out of ten a person at the dentist will flinch (or otherwise react negatively) when given a shot - if that isn't evidence that shots are bad then you are beyond convincing. Same argument could be used with children eating the proper foods, taking bad tasting medications, doing a job that one dislikes, going to funerals (sometimes weddings), filing an insurance claim, watching a bad movie, getting chewed out by the boss, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum. The argument that just because they don't like it has absolutely zero impact on whether it has any benefit for them or is detrimental to them. Liking something is not a criteria to use when determining how healthy or unhealthy it is.
Wow, just... wow. You can't be reasoned with, and what's worse, you think you're being reasonable.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So far, no one has tried reasoning with me. For one thing, I'm not promoting either side but you seem to think I am. If you can provide one compelling reason for me to rethink my position, I would be more than willing to listen. As I said, neither side of this has a valid scientific reason that can be proven other than their opinion on what they observe. At least the OP is honest enough to admit that. I'm afraid that belief does not constitute proof and never has. If it did, the earth would have been flat and at the center of the universe.

Wow, just... wow. You can't be reasoned with, and what's worse, you think you're being reasonable.
If you want to try reason, give this a shot. Explain to me how my argument is invalid and yours is valid. That's all I ask. If you can't at least try then maybe it isn't me that can't be reasoned with. It should be a simple request and I will listen to any and all replies but so far, not a single person has addressed any of the points I've brought up. If you are right, I will gladly concede. I am not trying to be right because I'm not on a side. I've already said I don't mist and don't intend to. I just don't really buy into the argument 'everybody knows it's true so it must be true'. That's a lazy answer and I don't buy it.

Peregrin

Arachnopeon
yeeeeaaaaah, I wasn't referring to you discounting anything said, I was referring to the op basically discounting EVERYTHING anyone had to say that wasn't what he was looking to hear.

And I was saying that emotions have no place in the topic. Just observations. My, and many others observations make it clear, to us at least, that they would rather not be directly misted. Goodoldneon said it in a nutshell. I don't need a study to show me what is obvious from over a decade of observation, others seem to feel the same way. I agree with you 100% regarding the ridiculously emotional aspect.

Ya sure. I'll believe you when you start arguing with how a tarantula would feel even though no one actually knows that. 9 times out of 10, a tarantula would flee. With that reasoning, I could also say 9 out 10 babies cry when given a bath or forced to eat. 9 times out f 10, a dog would flee when given a bath. If everyone would just provide advice based on evidence (other than a tarantula's feelings related to the feelings of a dog), not advice backed up with the caption "i have *insert nunber* years of experience," then i'd strt listening.

I was only asking data on Stan's claims. Don't say wht I'm doin is piss poor because yiu say tarantulas act in a negative way even though no one knows how tarantulas actually feel. I'm just trying to grt evidence. Not replies like "hey you're wrong brcause it should be done like this. I know this based on my rxperience. I just know"

10 years later into the hobby, should I start shutting down new ideas brcause I could reason out tht I have more experience? Say that my husbadry really is bad, then that would be my experience of 10 years. Then some one new has his own way that works. Should i tell him to do what I'm doig brcause i'm 10 years mor eexperienced?

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince

Cold, my point was the OP *wasn't* discounting everything said. He discounted the conventional yet unfounded (to me and a number of other keepers) idea that misting is pointless or abuse or torture or whatever other hyperbole people threw out. The OP interacted with me quite reasonably. He discounted the ideas that what he was doing was wrong - cause what he was doing wasn't wrong but just another way of doing things. A way that I and other keepers have done for years - and we pointed out our observations just as you and your side did. And when people accused him of abuse and ignorance, IMHO, he had less reason to take anything any of those posters said seriously, especially when all manner of snark tossed at him.

As for your final comment, drop the snarky attitude. My decade of observation is just as valid as yours, and I elucidated quite clearly that the OP wasn't ignoring advice - not that you implied that *I* did. He was confirming his observations conformed to those of others. There are a number of ways to keep.these.animals, and neither side owns the One True Way.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I never had issue with the misting thing.. I really think misting is up to the keeper and based on his spiders reactions.... I was more thinking about the space in the enclosures.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I never had issue with the misting thing.. I really think misting is up to the keeper and based on his spiders reactions.... I was more thinking about the space in the enclosures.
Which too many people jumped on the OP for *before* knowing species or container depth. And when he explained the species and depth, lo and behold, the containers were more than adequate.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Which too many people jumped on the OP for *before* knowing species or container depth. And when he explained the species and depth, lo and behold, the containers were more than adequate.
depth wise perhaps but a 3 inch spider in a 4 inch diameter container? idk.