Directly Misting The Tarantula

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
On several of my tropical T enclosures, I use automated misters to maintain humidity levels. Occasionally, I have noticed a T standing in the mist stream. Weird. While not often, it has not harmed them so I can only assume it is not harmful but agree with all the posts that there is no reason to do it if the humidity levels are accurate and they have a water dish available.
What misting system are you using? What species have the system, and what's the flow rate on your nozzles?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I am also wondering about the enclosure size, a 3 in T in a 4 in enclosure ? Wow that's cramped quarters !!! This could cause many different problems not enough space to molt and get bigger .
I have a 3" versi in a 4" diameter deli that is also 6" high, and the space is well more than adequate. I don't know the depth of the enclosure the OP has, but the size isn't seeming too out of the ordinary to me barring a depth of, say, 3".

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do whatever you want, don't be surprised if you get a lot of hate for it here. There's no reason to directly mist your spiders. You're pretty much doing it because you want to do it. There's no benefit for the tarantulas.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As far as the spider knows, misting could be the beginning of a heavy rain that could wash them away. It's also an excellent way to cause them to panic and run, especially in small cages.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't mist anything but I don't think it's a mortal sin either. First, I see a lot of people saying there's no good reason for it. True enough. There's also no reason to catch them, take them home and put them in a fish tank other than pure curiosity and unless you are doing research of some kind, seriously that is, there's no reason for it.
Second, the T doesn't like it, it freaks/stresses them out. Maybe, but no one has offered any evidence other than gut feelings. They run away from the water? True but watch TV for more than a day and it's almost a guarantee that you'll see at least one person running out of the rain thoroughly unstressed. Want to see animals, youtube has an entire fanbase dedicated to watching pets jump in a pool, ride a surfboard, attack a garden sprinkler, etc.
Third, pouring water on top of a spider to make it drink might work considering gravity might help move the water from the top to the bottom. Capillary action would assist in getting said water into the mouth.
Come on guys, there are too many people here with the intelligence to tackle this without relying on pat answers.
I don't know if there is or isn't any evidence to back all of this up but I do know that if the answer isn't here then someone here definitely has the ability and resources to find out. Let's here the data on this. Educate me!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I cause periodic 'rains' in my invert enclosures. But, I aim away from the inhabitant(s). All have hides or burrows to escape to if they're not already ensconced. The rare T and some of the scorpions will walk into the 'rainfall', most avoid it.
Deliberately misting a spider with no retreat in a tight enclosure is borderline abuse, IMO.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
As far as the spider knows, misting could be the beginning of a heavy rain that could wash them away. It's also an excellent way to cause them to panic and run, especially in small cages.
That is so true - to add on - a hungry predator seeking a fat juicy tarantula to snack on would primarily sniff out its hide to detect its presence - misting - besides the water, creates the hissing of air movement similar to an animal's breath - that's why Ts hate to be blown at - I believe they can probably also detect CO2.

As a long time owner of herps and Ts, particularly those you shouldn't "stress" out too much, I've always felt the word stress is overly used.

Many people on the forum here have described Ts and their primary modality (vibration/touch) in the context of the T freaking out due to some owner induced stimuli.

I really believe people over exaggerate the impact it may have on the animal. Humans primary systems are vision then touch. WE don't freak out and we are bombarded by constant visual stimuli. The same for other animals that live in the wild and vision is there primary means of learning their world.

Whatever modality an animal uses they have evolved to handle a lot of stimuli from that primary sense.
Absolutely agree with Viper - I find it quite amusing that we attribute human traits/feelings/affection to our pets - I believe these are only possible to higher intelligent life forms - like our pet dogs, cats, parrots, ferrets etc where a reaction to an external stimuli could possibly be attributed to submissive behavior, anger or affection etc. Lower life forms like Ts do not get pissed get angry or display "affection". To them it's a fight or flight reaction to a stimuli - a matter of survival or be eaten - I don't handle my pokies but I have the best behaved pokies - from slings I have conditioned them to constant daily exposure to my scent, movement - hence have no reason to fight or take flight - but I don't think they are in any way tamed or domesticated - I still respect them still consider them as wild animals that will bite if they feel threaten.

OP's posting was to harness information and gather our opinions - so others may also benefit from our insights - trashing or passing judgement or questioning of his actions will not enrich anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
As a long time owner of herps and Ts, particularly those you shouldn't "stress" out too much, I've always felt the word stress is overly used.

Many people on the forum here have described Ts and their primary modality (vibration/touch) in the context of the T freaking out due to some owner induced stimuli.

I really believe people over exaggerate the impact it may have on the animal. Humans primary systems are vision then touch. WE don't freak out and we are bombarded by constant visual stimuli. The same for other animals that live in the wild and vision is there primary means of learning their world.

Whatever modality an animal uses they have evolved to handle a lot of stimuli from that primary sense.
I disagree slightly. I know a lot of people who get dizzy or nauseated from 3D movies, and my one friend gets migraines. Look at the Nintendo virtual boy. Messing with our ocular sensory system does have negative effects. Now, some are more sensitive and some are less. But it does happen.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
I didn't think that it made their brains malfunction, so much as it was just very unpleasant. I've never seen a spider run into a rainstorm eagerly, they always seem to hide from it. But it's good to know it doesn't hurt them. I'm always extra careful not to get any water on them. I felt bad when my A. geniculata attacks the water and half-douses herself.
Totally agree, it's one thing to get rained on and completely different to get scsshed scsshed in the face.

EDIT:
Yep, I just wrote that... o_O

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Borderline abuse seems completely melodramatic.
I agree. It would be something if OP was doing these things to intentionally harm the tarantulas, enjoying the fact that he was causing them duress.

However, it seems like he wholeheartedly believes that his techniques are 'better' and perhaps even 'innovative'. Misguidance isn't the same as abuse.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree. It would be something if OP was doing these things to intentionally harm the tarantulas, enjoying the fact that he was causing them duress.

However, it seems like he wholeheartedly believes that his techniques are 'better' and perhaps even 'innovative'. Misguidance isn't the same as abuse.

That's why I called it borderline. If the OP had never been taught that hosing down a tarantula to give it a drink is inappropriate, then the abuse would stem from ignorance. If all of his research and queries on reputable sites have indicated that directly misting is not the way to 'water' your spiders, and he does it anyway, then that is just plain stupid and is blatant abuse. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't doubt the claims made that directly spraying a T stresses it but I'd still like to see something more substantial than "everybody knows it". How do they know it? Is there some evidence that spiders sprayed directly with water are stressed to the point of detriment? I see a lot of claims which, to me anyway, amount to little more than claims made by people swearing that tarantulas can kill you or that you can cut up snakes and the pieces will turn into new snakes. I'd like for someone to offer something more than opinion on this. Has anyone ever lost a tarantula due to it getting wet? I mean in the course of ordinary maintenance, not drenching one till the humidity is 90% for six months. Has any research even been done in this area? How could you even test for something as arbitrary as feelings, especially in an animal that function on a mere reactive level? Do they have enough of a memory to allow for suffering after the event has stopped? Is there research or is all of this simply opinion?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That's why I called it borderline. If the OP had never been taught that hosing down a tarantula to give it a drink is inappropriate, then the abuse would stem from ignorance. If all of his research and queries on reputable sites have indicated that directly misting is not the way to 'water' your spiders, and he does it anyway, then that is just plain stupid and is blatant abuse. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
I would argue that would be more negligence than abuse, but this isn't a court battle lol

Either way, I'm still a bit wary of OP stating he was going to get "hate" because they know you aren't supposed to do it- but continues to do so.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't doubt the claims made that directly spraying a T stresses it but I'd still like to see something more substantial than "everybody knows it". How do they know it? Is there some evidence that spiders sprayed directly with water are stressed to the point of detriment? I see a lot of claims which, to me anyway, amount to little more than claims made by people swearing that tarantulas can kill you or that you can cut up snakes and the pieces will turn into new snakes. I'd like for someone to offer something more than opinion on this. Has anyone ever lost a tarantula due to it getting wet? I mean in the course of ordinary maintenance, not drenching one till the humidity is 90% for six months. Has any research even been done in this area? How could you even test for something as arbitrary as feelings, especially in an animal that function on a mere reactive level? Do they have enough of a memory to allow for suffering after the event has stopped? Is there research or is all of this simply opinion?
It's not the 'wet' that is the point, it's the method. (As well as the [3 inch terrestrial in a 4 inch enclosure not big enough for a water bowl]. And if not big enough for a water bowl, certainly not big enough for a hide to escape.)
Mildly comparable to someone being a willing participant as the dunkee in a dunk tank, or being placed there blindfolded and the big dunk coming completely unexpectedly. Here, have some water.... If I were aware and willing, it would be fun or at least cooling on a hot day. If I was blindsided, it would come as a shock and, being human, I would be pissed.
Certainly tarantulas get caught in rain storms in natural settings, but they also have the ability to run for cover. What the OP is describing is the regular misting of confined animals that have no cover and nowhere to run. It is our responsibility as animal keepers to not deliberately inflict undue stress. Doesn't matter if or how long the victim remembers the stress or suffering. The fact that it is being imposed regularly speaks to the character of the keeper.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How would you like it if someone sprayed you with a hose while you were just chilling on the wall minding your own business? :p

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Unless someone takes their KK outside and sprays the spider with a garden hose, misting a tarantula isn't abuse. It's hilarious at best and ignorant at worst to even imply misting a spider is abuse. Jebus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's not the 'wet' that is the point, it's the method. (As well as the [3 inch terrestrial in a 4 inch enclosure not big enough for a water bowl]. And if not big enough for a water bowl, certainly not big enough for a hide to escape.)
Mildly comparable to someone being a willing participant as the dunkee in a dunk tank, or being placed there blindfolded and the big dunk coming completely unexpectedly. Here, have some water.... If I were aware and willing, it would be fun or at least cooling on a hot day. If I was blindsided, it would come as a shock and, being human, I would be pissed.
Certainly tarantulas get caught in rain storms in natural settings, but they also have the ability to run for cover. What the OP is describing is the regular misting of confined animals that have no cover and nowhere to run. It is our responsibility as animal keepers to not deliberately inflict undue stress. Doesn't matter if or how long the victim remembers the stress or suffering. The fact that it is being imposed regularly speaks to the character of the keeper.
He keeps a 3" terrestrial in a 4" enclosure??? I think the Nazi's treated the Jews better.