Directions for rehousing s'ling too big for vial

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tarantula Lover, this is for you.

I found that my C. fasciatum had molted this morning. Its diameter is aproximately the size of the vial, so in my opinion, it is now time to rehouse. Sure, a deli cup would be just fine. However, I spend less than 2 bucks for the acrylic box that I get at Micheals, spend a few minutes melting holes in it for air circulation, and have something that looks quite nice.

Here, I have a pic of my freshly molted tiger rump in its vial:

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is the brand new acrylic box that I start with. I got it at Micheals for less that 2 bucks.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is the soldering iron that I use to burn holes into the box. I do this instead of drilling so that I don't crack the box.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is the soldering iron burning a hole in the acrylic box.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is the hole that the soldering iron made.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Add your favorite substrate. Mine is peat/vermic mix.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use pretty much the same procedure to make an abororial s'ling setup. However, I buy a box with a deep lid instead of a shallow lid. I make the lid the base for the vivarium and fill with substrate. I then melt the holes in the bottom of the box which will be the top of the vivarium.

Last edited:

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love it!!!! Besides ordering on the internet, where can you get cork bark?

kellygirl

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Finally, I use a glue gun to permanantly affix some cork bark to teh side(s) of the box.

I have it set up like this so that the arborial can build its web at the top like it wants to, and I can still get inthere to change water dish and add and remove food.

It works really well.

These boxes come in many sizes.

Jon

Last edited:

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No where, it doesn't exist. I've resorted to using peg board in my Pokies' cage. Damn, it's ugly.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
No where, it doesn't exist. I've resorted to using peg board in my Pokies' cage. Damn, it's ugly.

That sucks... any recommendations of sites to order it from in bulk? Or any other sort of hides? I'd love to find a place that would ship me hides, bark, and pinheads or flightless fruit flies for minimal cost (of shipping)....

kellygirl

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You should move the tarantula to larger quarters when ever it's leg span reaches 1/2 the width of the cage.

Mark

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Nice series of pix....

Thanks for the idea, I forgot about those boxes!
I have something like it, I keep autographed
hockey pucks in them:)These look much better
than deli cups too.=D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
I love it!!!! Besides ordering on the internet, where can you get cork bark?

kellygirl
I bought my cork bark at Petco. Its alot more expensive than in bulk. But I just didn't need all that I would get if I ordered in bulk. So paying 5 bucks for a decent sized hunk at Petco was alright for me. I have been using the same piece for all my ts. The only one that doesn't use it, is my genic (only b/c he has a half log that I bought before I heard of cork bark.

Jon

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I get cork bark at almost any pet store up here... its great for tarantula cages and also for snake cages (they rub up against its rough edges when its shedding time)

I pay about 10 bucks for a large chunk of it.

If your local pet shop doesnt have it I am sure they can order it for you... if not I am sure you could get one of your american buddies to mail you a chunk.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
man

great pics! Thanks so much for the pics, especially when my faciatum died a couple of days a go:( thanks anyway,

James

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So this stuff just breaks off in chunks? We don't have PetCo here... at least not that I know of.

kellygirl