-Dinner Time-

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you not feel any guilt? Plus you POST this on the forum, the eaten up, defenseless mouse. I would be ashamed if i were you. Inhumane. I'm lost for words.
why would you feed your pets anything that *wasnt* defenseless? :?

i dont see whats wrong with it besides maybe not having maybe a warning of maximum pinky ownage.
i think the pics are pretty neat

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I knew this was coming just from the number of replies......... *goes and hugs her rattie boys*

And yeah, I do have problems with roaches being fed to things, since I've only ever had exotic roaches as pets, I know I couldn't do it if they were live.

Are centipedes different than tarantulas in that they won't readily accept prekilled..? Just asking, since I only come to this section for my millipedes, and all my T's are on frozen/thawed, or else I wouldn't own them.

If it was prekilled and the gore happened, I wouldn't care as much. That's the difference in this situation for many of us. Although I realize it's a different culture there....

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I knew this was coming just from the number of replies......... *goes and hugs her rattie boys*

And yeah, I do have problems with roaches being fed to things, since I've only ever had exotic roaches as pets, I know I couldn't do it if they were live.

Are centipedes different than tarantulas in that they won't readily accept prekilled..? Just asking, since I only come to this section for my millipedes, and all my T's are on frozen/thawed, or else I wouldn't own them.

If it was prekilled and the gore happened, I wouldn't care as much. That's the difference in this situation for many of us. Although I realize it's a different culture there....
What would you suggest feeding something that's almost entirely carnivorous-tofu dogs? And...what difference does it make exactly whether alive/dead? Frozen just means that you weren't directly responsible for killing it. I understand that certain prey can damage the predator(teeth, during a molt), but roach damage to a predator is highly unlikely . I personally have never had a 'pede take pre-killed food- either way the operative work here is "killed".

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What prekilled foods are you feeding your Ts? Hopefully not rodents as a staple...

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For the most part, I'm ok with the pictures, I mean he bought feeder mice to feed to his pets. There is one thing though, why put the dead carcass back with the others?
I'm curious about this too... Jonathan.Hui?

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

why would anyone post these pics if it is obvious that everyone will be freaked by them...

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It may be a good idea to remove the most gruesome picture..

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What prekilled foods are you feeding your Ts? Hopefully not rodents as a staple...
mealworms, crickets, fruit flies, etc. all 15 tarantulas eat and readily accept F/T invertebrates. Yes, there are insects in my freezer. The only rodents in my house are strictly pet rats and see their vet regularly.

Also I am curious as to the comparison being made here:

frozen/thawed = tofu dogs
live = carnivorous diet

Is that like eating frozen peas, or eating peas fresh from a pea pod somehow makes it an entirely different substance? It's the same product, just one was sitting in a freezer and probably turns to mush faster.

I'm a HUGE advocate for animals eating what they would eat naturally in the wild, namely for those who keep unusual exotics as pets. I also like to minimize pain, since it's not like the food item can escape readily or has any real chance, except in those instances where the rodent or cricket kills the pet (had a rat once turned in to a rescue who did that to someone's snake. She wound up being the sweetest thing to people, but she would chase down our cat and take chunks of fur out of the cat if she got too close to the cage). Plus I worry about parasites, and I KNOW pet store rodents carry all kinds of things, since I've seen plenty of vets for ivermectin, etc, for worms and mites (as well as baytril and doxy for respiratory illnesses and all kinds of other fun things). However, I guess centipedes and inverts are far enough removed from mammals that they cannot catch worms and mites or other parasites from them? I wouldn't know, but I guess not.

As far as the cockroach comment? I was just stating I, unlike others in your comparison to "cute and fuzzy vs. bugs", do feel badly for roaches and have yet to bring myself to starting a colony, just to pick out and freeze off ones I need. I've only ever kept exotic roaches as pets in the past (discoid, hissers, death's heads, lobster, giant cave, etc) and currently am still holding my hopes out for a pair of giant australian burrowing roaches. SO I guess the best way to explain that is that I can only view them as unusual pets, and for me it's the same as throwing kittens to a reticulated python for others. I DO eventually want to get a roach colony going, but it's going to be really hard to remove myself from them, and I'll have to practice the dry-ice method and see if it works with roaches or not.

OH and the gore thing? GORE itself does NOT bother me. I'm the type of chick who looks at guro and eats chilli while watching brain surgery. I enjoyed the Guinea Pig films, and own Cannibal Holocaust (yes I know there are real animal deaths in the film). The ISSUE I was bringing up, was live vs. prekilled. I was unaware if centipedes accepted prekilled or not, and someone else has mentioned they do not. Thank you for answering my question. That was my only issue, as it seemed pointless to me to offer live if another option was available for them. I'm not a centipede owner, I come to this forum for millipedes as I mentioned in my last post. I would not be bothered at ALL if it was a prekilled mouse being eaten, as opposed to a live. THAT was the issue.

Thank you, sorry for crapping in your thread. Like I said in my last post as well, I ALSO understand it's a different culture over there, whereas it's frowned upon in the USA, and it's illegal in the UK.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mealworms, crickets, fruit flies, etc. all 15 tarantulas eat and readily accept F/T invertebrates.
Wow...just wow...
Also I am curious as to the comparison being made here:

frozen/thawed = tofu dogs
live = carnivorous diet

Is that like eating frozen peas, or eating peas fresh from a pea pod somehow makes it an entirely different substance? It's the same product, just one was sitting in a freezer and probably turns to mush faster.
It is well known in the herp hobby that nutrients degrade fairly quickly in frozen feeders, and fresh peas are better for you than frozen ones. Vegetables that are blanched suffer from even higher nutrient loss in the form of water soluble nutrients lost to the water they are cooked in before freezing. ;)
I also like to minimize pain, since it's not like the food item can escape readily or has any real chance
I have yet to see any convincing evidence that invertebrates can feel pain in any form...do you know something the rest of us dont?

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I heard of studies of invertebrates and even plants being able to feel pain. The idea isnt exactly farfetched is it? All in all everything is an animal that eats something else. As long as your not feeding the pedes human babies or endangered whales I dont see a problem with it. Just because the bug cant show a facial expression like a person does that mean it cant feel pain? Just cuious where your comming from. Pain is there to tell you something is wrong and to stop it, so if you squish a crickets leg will it just sit there un noticed or will it go crazy trying to get away?

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had crickets pop off their own legs to escape from me when I pick them up before, and Tarantulas will fairly readily bite off their legs if it is injured. So I don't think that is the best of analogies.
Also, just because I feed off my roaches doesn't mean I don't also consider them a form of a pet. I like playing with my dubias, but I don't give it a second thought when I throw one in with my tarantula.

Plus I've got a few geckos that could probably live solely off premade diets, but that doesn't seem anywhere near as natural and healthy as letting them chase after some roaches as well as having diet provided.

Oh, ever watch your roaches or crickets cannibalize another member of the colony? They don't go for the head first. I watched a bunch of b. lats chew through another one while it squirmed and wiggled. They ignored its head and legs, just eating the body; I eventually shooed them away from the wounded one, crushed its head and fed it to a T. After watching that, they got a bit less sympathy from me during feeding time.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He only posted those pics to get a reaction,and guess what, it worked. :embarrassed:

Next time someone does this(and there will be a next time)try ignoring them.
You will deny them the attention they crave and they will stop posting pics like this.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Rabbits and rodents chew their own legs off to escape traps or to get unstuck, and I've heard of foxes doing the same, so I don't think that's really a good argument either.

Look, some of us do things differently than others. Isn't it better to spread the love of arachnids and other invert pets rather than finding the best way to make the general public dislike invert keepers and get that label of a crazy, weird recluse who plays with pests? Constant arguments with "UR WRONG LULZ I IZ BETTAR CUZ I DON'T MIND KILLING THINGS" doesn't help. The ONLY reason I am able to keep my tarantulas is because I told my fiance I didn't have to feed them live, so he didn't have to see it. If I had a T that wouldn't accept it, I WOULD sell the T or give it to another person, not let it just shrivel up and die. He really dislikes inverts a lot, but as long as they're in their own enclosures and he doesn't have to deal with them, then it's ok.

Also, I always thought freezing using dry ice minimized loss of nutrients?

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
He only posted those pics to get a reaction,and guess what, it worked. :embarrassed:

Next time someone does this(and there will be a next time)try ignoring them.
You will deny them the attention they crave and they will stop posting pics like this.

Normally I do, this is the first instance where I have ever replied to one of these threads, sorry. I'll leave this all well alone now.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... its just easier to make a compare of a eaten mice and a living normal mice... :rolleyes:
Well, for future reference then: it's not easier to move a mutilated mouse into a container of mice than another surface, and juxtaposing them physically or digitally doesn't help anyone to "compare" them. The mutilated mouse alone shows clearly enough which parts are missing and which parts are newly visible. :wall: