Dining Room?

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Anyone recommend using a different cage to feed your scorp?

While I'm at it, how often do you guys clean out your tanks?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Clean cages as needed,sometimes can go over 6 months other times not two weeks ...

i know alot of people don't use different cages to feed there stuff..maybe a few do...i dont :)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see this as a bit meaningless. Snake owners often feed in a seperate enclosure, but that is mostly to make the snake aware food will never be available in it's living enviroment and the snake can be handeled, and also feel secure from other organisms..... or something like that. I don't know because I've never kept a snake, but it's fairly obvious. Doing that for a scorpion isnt necessary, they do not need to be handeled, can hide much easier than a reptile can, and being so small would probaly be scared to death to be moved back and forth from container to container once a week.

Good thought, but it's not necessary :)

Ed

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see this as a bit meaningless. Snake owners often feed in a seperate enclosure, but that is mostly to make the snake aware food will never be available in it's living enviroment and the snake can be handeled, and also feel secure from other organisms..... or something like that. I don't know because I've never kept a snake, but it's fairly obvious. Doing that for a scorpion isnt necessary, they do not need to be handeled, can hide much easier than a reptile can, and being so small would probaly be scared to death to be moved back and forth from container to container once a week.

Good thought, but it's not necessary :)

Ed

Good point EAD about the snakes, also to the OP remember that a scorpion doesn't remember the "hand that feeds" so to speak :)

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Constantly moving your scorp will cause stress. Bad for your scorp.

Uroctonus

Arachnopeon
As was mentioned, moving your scorpion causes it stress (your scorpion will almost undoubtedly interpret your moving it as a predator attacking it) and it will probably make your scorpion less likely to feed afterwards. I have always fed my scorpions inside their enclosures, although one of my P. imperators a while back caught a scorpion that was in the critter keeper I had moved it into while I was doing something with its enclosure. As far as cleaning your scorpions cage, it's not really cage cleaning like it is with other animals like reptiles where you have to remove the substrate after it has been soiled, because scorpions feces are the white chalky substance you sometimes see. Periodically you might have to change substrate, or do some cleaning, but for the most part, just pick up after your scorpions, removing dead prey items, or parts of prey items left behind to avoid things such as mite infestations.

-Uroctonus