DimorphismDimorphism

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So what causes the difference?

Ive had a male schioedtei for the last month or so that is maybe 2.75" that is already green.
Today i just got a package in containing a 4+" subadult female that is jet black, and a 2nd confirmed male that is also jet black.

The new male is maybe only 1/2 or so (probably one molt ahead) larger than my previous male.

Ive also heard some males never even green out until maturity.

Very strange and curious as to why dimorphism is apparent early on in SOME, but clearly not ALL males

First two photos (with green lid) are of confirmed male,
Second two are of my new female!

20170419_181806.jpg 20170419_181811.jpg 20170419_182815.jpg 20170419_182419.jpg

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Can't answer your question, but I was searching for info on the species and found this. Great photos!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I've heard they are seldom visible, has this been your experience? I have a Poecilotheria fasciata and I don't see it much, disappointing really because I love the appearance of Pokies.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Genetics? :confused: That is curious though if what you say is true about males of the same species changing color at vastly different times.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I've heard they are seldom visible, has this been your experience? I have a Poecilotheria fasciata and I don't see it much, disappointing really because I love the appearance of Pokies.
Thats the thing with Asian arboreals..., you never see them during daytime because their instinct tells them to hide from monkeys and birds and other animals that prey on them.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Thats the thing with Asian arboreals..., you never see them during daytime because their instinct tells them to hide from monkeys and birds and other animals that prey on them.
Yeah, wishful thinking on my part I guess.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As slings they are burrowers with awesome tunnels.
The 3 juvies (1.2) i have right now are usually visible with tunnels still, and the adult females ive owned are similar to poeci.. hidden by day, visible at night.
Pretty much like all arboreal/semi arboreal.

I think it all depends on how you house them really. Theyll work with what they've got

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
My Pokie has been out more often lately, just got me thinking that maybe ambient temperature being a bit higher than usual could be part of it? I know Poecilotheria and Omothymus/Cyriopagopus are in fact different, but being somewhat similar I wondered if that was possible too?