Digital Cameras

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm buying a Digital camera as soon as I can decide which one to get.

What do you have, and what do you like and dislike about it?:confused:

Thanks for the help!!!

Ernie

PS: What is macro? And why is it needed?

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use an old 1.3megapixel Sony DSC-P30.

It's awsome.

Macro helps w/ close in shots... like you will be doing w/ your spiders.... don't know how it works... it just does.

I love the sony cameras... easy to use and i trust sony.

I got my P30 for $75 because it is a little older.

If you plan on printing..... make sure it's more than 1.3 megapixel... more like 3.0 if you want anywhere near photo quality prints.

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ernie, many of the pictures you saw of mine last weekend were taken with my new Sony DSC-S75 Cybershot. I bought it this last summer after looking at many. I like Sony's reputation. The view finder is great and I can review my pictures instantly. I got real tired of sending off a roll of 35 mm film to find half or more out of focus. T bodies are soft and can be difficult for some cameras to autofocus on but I've been very pleased with the Sony. I also like the memory stick feature and long rechargeable battery life. You can download your pictures to several websites then crop and border and order prints of only the ones you want. Ofoto.com is the one I use. Here are two great digital camera review sites: www.dpreview.com and www.photo.net Happy shopping, John

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do a LOT of research before plunking the beans based upon what you plan on using it for. I purchased an Olympus C-3040Z because it combines good maco with good zoom/telephoto, as well as being one of the highest rated cameras for color balance with indoor photography. I have not been disappointed with it yet, and it also takes excellent close ups, if not quite so good as some of the Sony macro lenses.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not a photography junkie, but I use a Sony Mavica and I'm happy with it. I would like to upgrade to the Sony Mavica CD camera, but with what I spent on the one I have and what a new one would cost, I'll stick with this one for a while. Close-ups are easy to focus, but I've not got the hang of focusing outdoor scenic shots yet.

Botar

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
I'm buying a Digital camera as soon as I can decide which one to get.

What do you have, and what do you like and dislike about it?:confused:

Thanks for the help!!!

Ernie

PS: What is macro? And why is it needed?
Hi Ernie, I have been using a Sony CD-300 3.34 megapixel camera for over a year (this model has been superseded by the CD-400). it uses a mini cd-r or cd-rw disk that will hold up to 1,000 images depending on resolution used. each cd costs about 5.00 for the cd-r and around 8.00 for the cd-rw (compare this to other cams that use other storage media, the cd is probably the least inexpensive and easiest to use-take your pictures-remove the cd and pop it in your pc-viola!) it has a decent macro feature. it uses a rechargable lithium battery (watch out for any cam that uses aa or other types of disposable batteries although you could use rechargable aa batteries)
drawbacks?
cost (I paid close to 1,000 for my cam.....price for the cd-400 is around 699.00)
physical size, it is about the same size as many 35mm SLR cams
you have to "plan" any action shots unless you fiddle with the settings (many cams have no manual adjustments for f-stop, etc.)
my feeling is that any disadvantage is far outweighed by the advantages.
BTW, consumer reports states that Sony is one of the most reliable digital cameras. if you subscribe to consumer reports there is a lot of good info there.
Ed

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I use a Canon Digital Elph S....the only thing I don't like about it is no decent macro. And believe me, you need one when taking T pics IMO.
Other than that, I love the flash memory card, the USB connection is a snap to use, and the battery life is decent as well.

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If your looking for a camera w/ good macro, which i think you would be. Check out this site. The link below is the link directly to the macro picture test pages. Most of them are user submited macro pics useing differant cameras. This site also has great reviews on almost every camera.

Main page

Macro Page