Digital camera ponderings

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking about upgrading from my current Coolpix 3500.
As part of what I like to photograph is macro, I thought I'd see if I could get any advice here. The other part is (still) scenery, and night shots.

Now, I've learned a little bit since I started photographing, but not a whole lot.
I know I wish to be able to set the shutter speed myself, at least :p

While a compact camera is indeed compact, and therefore very portable, a system level camera would obviously be more upgradable. Chances are I'd throw it out the window, together with a retardedly expensive lens, before I learned to use it, but still..

Anyway, I', currently looking at these 3 (2 compacts, 1 dSLR):
Pentax *ist DL
Pentax Optio 750Z
Canon Powershot s80
I can get the *ist DL +an 18-55mm lens for around 680$ (I know electronics in the U.S are much cheaper) , the s80 for around 570$, and the Optio for around 450$.

The s80 has a 'wider' lens(if anyone says 'tele' without explaining it I'll send fiery devils after that person) as I understand it, than the Optio, making it more suited for landscapes, while the Optio has a very good macro, as well as a somewhat worse ability (than the s80) to focus under bad lighting conditions.
Both have worthless lithium proprietary batteries.

The dSLR..is mostly dependant upon the lens used. So a sub-question would be: Do Pentax make any good lenses?

What say you?
(And if this should be in a the photos thread, please move it).

DE3

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently bought a Nikon D50, it came with their 18-55 mm lens. I must admit I was intimidated by the thought that I may be upgrading to a machine that was over my head. I've found the camera is designed to be very user-friendly, and the user manual is written very well -- for the "first dSLR owner" in mind. I've been 100% pleased with it.
IMO, if you're going to upgrade, than upgrade! There's nothing wrong with a good point and shoot, but you dont want to feel like you just spent a bunch of money for what amounts to a lateral move.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The *ist D is a great camera, comparied to the other too, you will be disapointed with the canon, and the low light of the optio will make you cry. Both the canon and optio is not really an upgrade and will not offer you great pictures.

The problem with the dlr is that is will keep costing you money. Each lens will rack more and more money on, but you can not bet the pictures.

The new dlrs are instictive to use, they want to be used, unlike the compacts. It is alot of money but it is worth it.

Pentax over Nikon, anyday. Especially in Europe. Nikon could not tell a good cheap lens from their elbow. You always got to go third party to get the cheap good stuff. Pentax lens rock, but you can not get anything in america.

Last edited:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should check out dpreview. You will find much more, if not better, information there than you will get here.

No offense to anyone photographers here, but I would not expect the best answers to my tarantula questions from a bunch of photography enthusiasts and so I wouldn't expect the best photography answers from us. Granted, there are some great photographers here, but your knowledgeable audience will certainly be much greater at dpreview.

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for both of your replies, they have successfully (at least temporarily :p ) steered me over into the dSLR-lane. I do think you overestimate my dear 3500, though ;)

So the ones currently in my sights are: Konica Minolta Dynax 5D, Pentax *ist DL, and Nikon D50. The *ist DL is slightly cheaper than the other two, the KM has an anti-shake function that people who've tried it seem rather lyrical about, and the D50 is simply generally loved.

Konika Minolta seem to have died however, fish line hook sink going to Sony :/ What effect this will have on proprietary batteries, lenses, service, I don't know.

Windchaser: Thanks, though I am already fishing in several places : ) I do appreciate the comments of different people.

Last edited:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
You should check out dpreview. You will find much more, if not better, information there than you will get here.

No offense to anyone photographers here, but I would expect the best answers to my tarantula questions from a bunch of photography enthusiasts and so I wouldn't expect the best photography answers from us. Granted, there are some great photographers here, but your knowledgeable audience will certainly be much greater at dpreview.
I sold cameras for a couple of years.
thedarkfinder

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's a shot from the D2H with some cheap nikon glass...

Sucks, huh?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
You could probably take a good picture with a D2H with the lense cap still on :) Isn't that the $3000.00 or so camera body? :)

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is some new panasonic cameras out that have Leica lenses that might be nice lol, I haven't heard how ell the camera works though.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Raindog said:
Here's a shot from the D2H with some cheap nikon glass...

Sucks, huh?
Yes it does sucks. 4.1 megapix paper weight. I could get two 20d's or 5d for that.

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TheDarkFinder said:
Yes it does sucks. 4.1 megapix paper weight. I could get two 20d's or 5d for that.
Keep talking, you are an idiot.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm pretty impressed with brother's Nikon D-60:drool:, when he let me use it , I was like:drool: :drool: takes great pictures.

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MrDeranged said:
You could probably take a good picture with a D2H with the lense cap still on :) Isn't that the $3000.00 or so camera body? :)
Thanks,

Actually I picked the D2H up for around 2k last year but they can be had used for around half that now. Too much emphasis is put upon pixel count from most new photographers. I have sold quite a few 16x20 prints from the D2H that were in no way lacking.

I have replaced my old D70 backup with a D200 but the D2H is always what I reach for when covering events. Viewed side by side, the 4mp D2H files and 10mp D200 files look very similar. The largest difference is file size(of course) and a slightly warmer tone from the D200. Filling the frame and correct exposure is critical with both bodies. The focus motor is worlds better on the D2H, it is lightning fast with the 200/2 and locks even under the dimmest light.

As for inexpensive glass, nikon has made world class lenses for a long time. There are quite a few old AI and AI-S lenses that can be purchased at a bargain and resolve more detail than even the tightest current sensors can register. One of my favorite wildlife lenses, the 400mm f3.5 is nearly thirty years old but produces razor sharp images shot wide open with proper technique.

Current wides are a bit lacking on the nikon front with the demise of the 28/1.4 but sigma stepped up and filled that void quite well with the 30/1.4, a lens that compares nicely with my trusty old 28/2.

Cheers,
Mike

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer