Difficult to care for species

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Bravo, bravo! And a Goddess PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her -- as well for a 0.1 H.hainanum if you can, now those are incredible! Incredible. H.lividum now turned C.lividum? Pffff, give us the real deal: H.hainanum :-s
Oh don't worry, I will DEFINITELY be getting a P. muticus. I'm waiting til I find a decently sized female for sale, though, of course. :D

Tarantula Chris

Arachnopeon
Personally, I stay away from any species requiring a higher than average moisture level. I find that avoiding mould and unwanted buggies to be a constant battle.
I'm good with those who require a bit of overflowing the water dish between dry spells, but not comfortable with anyone who requires constant moisture.
And any spiderling is a pain in my books. Sorry, but I just get so frustrated, and worried, when they aren't eating and barely grow with each moult. Some of my spiderlings have shortened my life with the amount of worrying I do over them.
Yes, I'm looking at you A.versicolor and Euathlus.
Haha!
My Versicolor was no trouble from 2nd instar, but to me they are the most beautiful looking species there is.

However my Euathlus sp. green, currently at 1"......wow is a nightmare to feed. While we're on subject as there a particular type of prey that people know of they do better on?

cold blood

Staff member
I'm still trying to find the happy medium on my H gigas. A guy told me to make sure I kept her moist or she would die. I went way past that to wet. I didn't kill her, but she didn't look good in my opinion. It was almost as if she had a white hue from being too wet for too long. I rehoused her in a drier condition that is only slightly moist. I'm hoping to find the magic formula. I don't want her to end up as a casualty of a learning curve. Asians are off the table until I figure out the formula with my
H. gigas.
Maybe I can help you simplify. Here's what I do with my H. gigas. I keep it in a tub with peat moss. I used peat because its hydrophobic when dry and tends to take quite a while to soak up water, but once it does, its one of the best at holding that moisture over time. So I basically keep mine on dry peat with a large water dish, and periodically I will pour water down a side, and it will run all the way to the bottom, eventually soaking at just beneath the bottom level of her burrow. So while its mostly dry, the area around its burrow stays nice and damp (but never wet), just like they like it. Its far less important to keep the surface damp, in the burrow area is where moisture is best served for the t.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say Avics are the toughest slings I've had to raise, while Megaphobema and Theraphosa species have been the toughest adults to raise.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Lampropelma violaceopes for sure.

Super sensitive an super fragile