Difficult feeding my avic (Junior)

Lololol

Arachnopeon
So i recently just got my first tarantula she is a pink toe avicularia guyana (still unsure they all look similar) and this is my 3rd time feeding her and shes always slow on getting her food she dosnt attack it right away like I see others do and she ate a smaller criket and was fine yesterday so shes not in pre molt. Im just thinking if shes just timid to eat infront of me or im doing something wrong. The humidity is on point and the temiture, but I do need a heat light to keep the temperature stedy. I just need to know why shes not eating right when I put food in her vision.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
but I do need a heat light to keep the temperature stedy.
Get rid of the heat lamp, these things can really harm T's. Also if you're keeping it especially humid (which you don't need to) then heat lamp + high humidity will make your enclosure into a death trap. Can you post a pic of the enclosure? That'd help the people here to help you.

Last edited:

Lololol

Arachnopeon
Get rid of the heat lamp, these things can really harm T's. Also if you're keeping it especially humid (which you don't need to... Idk what you've been told but this species doesn't need really high humidity or a specific humidity number if that's how you're keeping it) then heat lamp + high humidity will make your enclosure into a death trap. Can you post a pic of the enclosure? Sounds like it could use some urgent adjustments.
My room is very cold and i dont know how to keep the temp up. But I have been looking for enclosures with cross vent just dont have the money rn. heres a pic. flash was on sorry

Attachments

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
My room is very cold and i dont know how to keep the temp up. But I have been looking for enclosures with cross vent just dont have the money rn. heres a pic
A space heater will be the thing to get, safest way to keep T's warm generally speaking (heats the room & avoids direct contact with the enclosure & an intense heat source)... I'm sure there's some low cost options online. Cross ventilation will be needed, mesh top not ideal... I'll leave the analysis of the rest of your enclosure to the Avic experts, they'll chime in soon.

Last edited:

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Read through these:

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
My room is very cold and i dont know how to keep the temp up. But I have been looking for enclosures with cross vent just dont have the money rn. heres a pic. flash was on sorry
Heat lamp is a big no you need a space heater. That’s what I use my room is the coldest in the hluse and I keep my T’s In my room. Plus I’m not cold and always warm.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The humidity is on point and the temiture, but I do need a heat light to keep the temperature stedy.
So this is kinda cause for alarm, you do not need to be measuring or worry about Any temp or humidity for Avicularia or tarantulas in general. Keep the Avicularia dry or mostly dry with a water dish and disregard humidity and stop supplementally heating with a heat lamp. Most cases supplemental heating is not needed regardless.
You need to replace the woven mesh or cover it with acrylic as Avicularia climb and can and will get their tarsal claws stuck in between the wires and can loose a leg or worse if they get stuck.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
For a heat mat, do not put it under the T, as they will dig downward to escape heat. There are folks here that have used them on the sides of the enclosures with thermostats.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
If you want something cheap with good ventilation, use a critter keeper turned on its end like this. You can drill holes along the sides if you want to increase cross ventilation. I still need to, but I needed a quick fix after bringing this spider home lol

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

MyDadHasTarantulas

Arachnopeon
People have already discussed them directly so I wont, just want to say there are multiple red flags in your post suggesting you're ignorant to basic husbandry, that's okay, we were all there at one point. Highly recommend doing a ton more research. Tom's big spiders on youtube and his website is a great place to start. Welcome to the hobby.

Clover Arms

Arachnopeon
When I rehoused my C. Versicolor, I made sure she had plenty of height along with branches,
false bottom clay balls, 30% cocofiber mixed with 70% reptisoil. live moss & sphagmum moss
clump on the bottom for easy once a week water down to maintain some humidity. Cover the
back half of the screen top with a cut out sheet of plastic board that helps keep humidity from
escaping too quickly. Regardless of what anyone says, T's need some humidity, not much,
for easier molting, etc. One exception I can think of is my GBB, they love it bone dry and
drink up when ready to molt.

I place a cup in her enclosure, drop in a 2 dubias because they can't climb out. She'll sense
them when she's hungry, then comes out to hunt for them. If she's created a web home for
herself, they usually do on top, you can always tong feed her.

tarantula_versicolor_feeding.jpg

Lololol

Arachnopeon
People have already discussed them directly so I wont, just want to say there are multiple red flags in your post suggesting you're ignorant to basic husbandry, that's okay, we were all there at one point. Highly recommend doing a ton more research. Tom's big spiders on youtube and his website is a great place to start. Welcome to the hobby.
If you were going toave said an be so rude in this message you shouldnt have said anything it was one small mistake not everybody has the money to buy exspensive equipment for their pet. I'm going to tell you that I've only had her for a month and i'm still buying to upgrade her enclosure. I was simply just asking cheaper ways to keep an enclosre healthy. Yes I'm a begginer but in all honesty who wants to come and see this when they are seeking for extra help? And others prospectives of enclosures.

Lololol

Arachnopeon
When I rehoused my C. Versicolor, I made sure she had plenty of height along with branches,
false bottom clay balls, 30% cocofiber mixed with 70% reptisoil. live moss & sphagmum moss
clump on the bottom for easy once a week water down to maintain some humidity. Cover the
back half of the screen top with a cut out sheet of plastic board that helps keep humidity from
escaping too quickly. Regardless of what anyone says, T's need some humidity, not much,
for easier molting, etc. One exception I can think of is my GBB, they love it bone dry and
drink up when ready to molt.

I place a cup in her enclosure, drop in a 2 dubias because they can't climb out. She'll sense
them when she's hungry, then comes out to hunt for them. If she's created a web home for
herself, they usually do on top, you can always tong feed her.

View attachment 438033
Thank you for this feeding tip. Once I get a larger encouse I'm going to try this hack you actualy helped my alot