Differences between Phrynus decoratus locales

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
When I try to find pictures, all that pops up is the Cuba locale, and when I search specifically for the Dominican Republic locale they look a lot more drab.

I'm wondering if I'm just seeing different phases of their molt cycle (freshly molted vs old) which would account for the colour difference. Or if the two locales actually have a noticable difference in person. (Difference in colour/size)

Lmk

*Edit: Micheal has said that the Cuban ones are a bit smaller, but didn't mention colour

I think I asked a bunch of people through PMs a while ago, but they all ended up owning only one of the locales.

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
When I try to find pictures, all that pops up is the Cuba locale, and when I search specifically for the Dominican Republic locale they look a lot more drab.

I'm wondering if I'm just seeing different phases of their molt cycle (freshly molted vs old) which would account for the colour difference. Or if the two locales actually have a noticable difference in person. (Difference in colour/size)

Lmk

*Edit: Micheal has said that the Cuban ones are a bit smaller, but didn't mention colour

I think I asked a bunch of people through PMs a while ago, but they all ended up owning only one of the locales.
I’ve been told the Dominican locale is in fact duller, but I also only have the Dominican locale so I can’t make the comparison myself.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I have both localities, and they look very different. Can't comment on size as only my Cubans are adults, but the DR ones are indeed less colorful, missing the red pigment entirely, even as juveniles.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I have both localities, and they look very different. Can't comment on size as only my Cubans are adults, but the DR ones are indeed less colorful, missing the red pigment entirely, even as juveniles.
That's what I figured, all the pictures I could find of the domrep had pure gray/black legs.

Are you gonna be getting some cuban babies on the market soon?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I wouldn't say the DR ones are grey/black but more very dull/matte dark blue.
All my Cuban decoratus just molted. So I will pair them all.