Differences between Avics

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. i was considering getting an Avic for my neice. She is 12 and already participates in the care and maintence of my T's. She is always supervised so i'd prefer to avoid debates about kids and T's. i will be caring for this T but she wants one to call her own and keep in her room.

Aside from the obvious differences in price and looks; what ARE the differences between the different species of Avics:

• Temperment?
  • Lifespan (what's the average for Avics anyway - males & females?)
  • Hardiness?
  • What size can they generally be sexed?
  • Anything i'm forgetting? :?

Thank you very much!!! jules

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi. i was considering getting an Avic for my neice. She is 12 and already participates in the care and maintence of my T's. She is always supervised so i'd prefer to avoid debates about kids and T's. i will be caring for this T but she wants one to call her own and keep in her room.

Aside from the obvious differences in price and looks; what ARE the differences between the different species of Avics:

• Temperment?
  • Lifespan (what's the average for Avics anyway?)
  • Hardiness?
  • What size can they generally be sexed?
  • Anything i'm forgetting? :?

Thank you very much!!! jules

I really don't think there is an Avicularia spp. that can be considered hardy. The easiest to take care of and least amount of risk attached to it would be a juvie or adult Avicularia avicularia. Slings tend to die without precise requirements(which goes for all Avicularia spp. slings and some Avicularia spp. adults)

Temperment for all Avics is pretty much the same, except for one of them, Avicularia braunshauseni, which is supposed to be kind of defensive. It also really depends on the individual T.

Most avics can be sexed at around 2".

Average lifespan for any Avicularia spp. would probably be 8 years.

I'd recommend an Avicularia avicularia for your neice, since these are inexpensive, easy to come by, and the easiest of all Avicularia spp. to take care of.

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
id recommend Avicularia avicularia also, i just got one shes a sweatheart. According to a book i have, "Tarantuals & Scorpions in capivity" it states A. avic are fairly hardy..

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
id recommend Avicularia avicularia also, i just got one shes a sweatheart. According to a book i have, "Tarantuals & Scorpions in capivity" it states A. avic are fairly hardy..
As adults I would say they are easy to keep, but not hardy like a G.rosea or P.murinus hardy. I guess you can consider them "hardy for an Avicularia spp."

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The two that have the worst reputation are Avicularia laeta and Avicularia braunshauseni, but I have never kept either. IME, A purpurea are the least hardy. I have kept about 11 species of Avics, and I'd vote for an A metallica for your niece.

dalejamin

Arachnopeon
What a coincidence :D I just got an A. avic for my girlfriend's daughter, who happens to be twelve. Like a couple of people have already mentioned, they're cheap and have a great temperament. I personally prefer my little A. versi, which molted last nite {D I know some people have had trouble keeping the A. versi alive and well, but thus far, I've had no problems. I also like the A. geroldi and A. purpurea (although neither are as hardy as the A. avic), but have no experince with either. Good luck, and let us know which one you decide on :razz:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The two that have the worst reputation are Avicularia laeta and Avicularia braunshauseni, but I have never kept either. IME, A purpurea are the least hardy. I have kept about 11 species of Avics, and I'd vote for an A metallica for your niece.
I'm so sorry you've had problems with A. purpurea!!! I've raised a tiny 1/2 inch purp to a mature adult, and have a thriving sling and a mature female right now.

Does you neice insist on an avic? How about something like a faster growing terrestrial like B. vagans or B. albopilosum?

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to thank everyone who replied. You've all been very helpful!! AB is awesome! :clap:

What a coincidence :D I just got an A. avic for my girlfriend's daughter, who happens to be twelve. Like a couple of people have already mentioned, they're cheap and have a great temperament. I personally prefer my little A. versi, which molted last nite {D I know some people have had trouble keeping the A. versi alive and well, but thus far, I've had no problems. Good luck, and let us know which one you decide on :razz:
We have decided on an A. avic. and i think we even just found the perfect one! :D She wanted to get one that was at least big enough to sex as female and something big enough to actually see compared to all my slings in vials. i'll help her set up a nice aboreal tank and she'll love it. i'm with you on the A. versi, i definitely want to get a couple slings for myself in the coming months. They are such incredible slings and not too bad looking as adults!! :rolleyes:

Does you neice insist on an avic? How about something like a faster growing terrestrial like B. vagans or B. albopilosum?
She really does want an avic of some sort. We decided not to get a sling so growth isn't really a factor. However, i did learn something. i had been under the impression the all Brachy's were very slow growers... :? Good to know, as i already have a couple B. vagan slings and have a couple B. albopilosum slings arriving this week! i also had assumed that Avics had at least moderate growth rates. i guess that's what i get for assuming!:eek:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a. avic to start would be the best choice. a. versi and a. bicegoi are really pretty looking avic's also. the girls just love them :D

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The A. avic was a good decision, I have one and is really quiet and not aggressive.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For brachys vagans and albo grow fast. I got a small B. albo sling in December of 2005 about 1/2 inch and she is big enough now that she has just mated for her first time.
Well if your neice is sold on an avic, probably avic avic is the best choice. I have a mature pair and they are both sweethearts.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For brachys vagans and albo grow fast. I got a small B. albo sling in December of 2005 about 1/2 inch and she is big enough now that she has just mated for her first time.
Cool - that is awesome! i have 2 B. vagan slings already and was really looking forward to receiving my 2 B. albopilosum slings tomorrow. However, now i'm really excited! Can't wait to watch them grow.

My niece lives with me - lucky me & i mean that - so she pretty much gets to watch and help with all the T's that aren't extremely venomous. She just wanted a Pink Toe to keep in her bedroom next to her Ball Python. Pretty cool 12 year old!!:cool: