Difference between Phormictopus sp. Dominican purple and violet?

Daniel S

Arachnopeon
No, but I would like to get a Dominican purple or violet some day.
Once my female matures I’m going to try and breed her, so might have a bunch available in the next year to year and a half

purplephilia

Arachnolurker
Tom Moran said he bought his as Phormictopus cautus violet, but there has since been a paper that says Phormictopus cautus is a different spider which is brown and from Cuba. The paper suggested "cautus violet" be changed to "sp Dominican purple". My assumption based on this is that Dominican purple is the same as Dominican violet. And I think "Phormictopus sp violet" (without the "cautus") is the same as "Phormictopus sp purple" which is more brown than purple and is possibly a color variant of cancerides.

Here is where Tom explains it:

I know this thread is a little old but I was searching "Domincian purple" because I'm getting 3 slings soon. :D I currently have 2 P auratus.

Tartarus Fenix

Arachnopeon
So just curious...

Do any of you have a Phormictopus?

Are any of you planning on getting Phormictopus?
I have a Phormictopus Cancerides, and a Phormictopus sp Caribbean Purple. I came on the thread so I could narrow down the "Caribbean" Purple. From what I've read there are several species of Purple Phormictopus in the Caribbean; specifically Roatan, Hispaniola/Dominican, Cuban, etc.

Slither82

Arachnopeon
The Phormictopus sp Dominican purple, I believe is the same as Phormictopus cautus. Of all the Phormictopus species that exhibit purple or violet coloration, Phormictopus cautus is known for being the most vibrant and beautiful. Phormictopus sp Dominican purple is also known for being one of the most beautiful species of Phormictopus that displays purple....based on everything that I can get my hands on and the very few people that have solid firsthand knowledge, I believe that these two, P.cautus and P. sp Dominican purple, are one in the same. Images that I've seen of both species look to be the same...well at least to me they look the same.

As for Phormictopus violet...it is on my list to acquire. I hear that it is a very striking purple spider, but as yet I'm not actually sure what an adult spider looks like...and I'm pretty sure that a couple images that I've come across labeled as P.violet...might actually be P.cautus. So not sure on this one...I'm currently trying to locate a reputable source on this species and acquire a group of them.

This genus, Phormictopus, is a real mess and needs a thorough revision.
Here's my Cautus DSC_0403.JPG

tailormoon

Arachnopeon
I have a question and forgive me but I’m new to forums and not familiar with them. I’m going to be receiving a Phormictopus sp. “Bayahibe Violet” and it’s somewhat difficult to find information on them. I’m only finding information on the Dominican purple.

Slither82

Arachnopeon
I have a question and forgive me but I’m new to forums and not familiar with them. I’m going to be receiving a Phormictopus sp. “Bayahibe Violet” and it’s somewhat difficult to find information on them. I’m only finding information on the Dominican purple.
If the the Violet is the same as the Cautus then here's some info on how mine has grown.
Very skittish when it was young, and burrowed a lot only coming out for food. I've fed it locusts & morio worms which I dropped near the opening of the burrow only to blink and miss the takedown it was that quick.
As an adult now it spends much more time out in the open but has become a little aggressive and a lot less skittish.
Substrate I've used is a mixture of coco fibre with a little moss mixed into it. Half a plastic plant pot, some bark here and there and a small water dish which is regularly changed.
These guys don't seem to climb at all they stick to the ground. I built a slope or hill with the water dish at the bottom and half a plant pot at the top where it dug its burrow.
Don't worry if you don't see them in person for a while, when you do see them it's well worth the wait. It will often appear in the open late at night if you really want to catch a glimpse when it's a juvenile and sub adult 😉
Feel free to message me if you want any more information 👍

Phobic1

Arachnopeon
Yea. Thanx. Still not much clarification to be sure of any difference between Cautus and Violette or Blue which are listed on a vendors website with Violette saying "rare" and Blue saying "new to hobby". The pictures look very vibrent in color.