Difference between Phormictopus sp. Dominican purple and violet?

Daniel S

Arachnopeon
Was just wondering if anyone knew if these were different species? I know the taxonomy for Phormictopus is as bad as any, so finding info was rough. When TBS covered them he mentioned violet but not purple. Pic is my sp. Dominican “purple” that came today. 51A11F64-7E20-4025-856F-09220AC75674.jpeg

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
The Phormictopus sp Dominican purple, I believe is the same as Phormictopus cautus. Of all the Phormictopus species that exhibit purple or violet coloration, Phormictopus cautus is known for being the most vibrant and beautiful. Phormictopus sp Dominican purple is also known for being one of the most beautiful species of Phormictopus that displays purple....based on everything that I can get my hands on and the very few people that have solid firsthand knowledge, I believe that these two, P.cautus and P. sp Dominican purple, are one in the same. Images that I've seen of both species look to be the same...well at least to me they look the same.

As for Phormictopus violet...it is on my list to acquire. I hear that it is a very striking purple spider, but as yet I'm not actually sure what an adult spider looks like...and I'm pretty sure that a couple images that I've come across labeled as P.violet...might actually be P.cautus. So not sure on this one...I'm currently trying to locate a reputable source on this species and acquire a group of them.

This genus, Phormictopus, is a real mess and needs a thorough revision.

Daniel S

Arachnopeon
damn yeah I knew it was a total mess which sucks because it’s one of my favorite genus’s. But I guess we’ll see how she looks after a molt or two

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I need a Phormictopus, but can't seem to find any lately. Oh well, I've been buying a ton of spiders so I should probably wait until my MM passes before adding more. Hopefully some will be available then.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I need a Phormictopus, but can't seem to find any lately. Oh well, I've been buying a ton of spiders so I should probably wait until my MM passes before adding more. Hopefully some will be available then.
Are you going to breed him before he passes?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Are you going to breed him before he passes?
Oh, I should have clarified, he's actually a H. pulchripes that's been mature for almost a year so a little past his prime. He still has some pep to him though. :) Just thinking about future T acquires! Almost bought an auratus sling a few weeks back, but I had previously had a DOA with the seller due to bad packaging and didn't want to risk it again.

Daniel S

Arachnopeon
The guy is got my P. Dominican purple from had some more (bigger) Phormics. Confirmed females and whatnot if that interests you at all. I know you said you’re waiting but just thought I’d mention it!

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I was just wondering this. I remember hearing the females of one of them where purple too, is that for both purple and violet?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
oh I thought it was only males like in Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis, thanks
I hear that a lot. People in the hobby seem to compare Pamphobeteus with Phormictopus...they're both big ornery spiders, but the differences beyond that are pretty cool.

Daniel S

Arachnopeon
Yeah aren’t all 3 genes considered “bird eaters”? Aka big spoods lol

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
i also though phormictopus where smaller than pamphos and xensthis
I think that there might be a species or two on the smaller side. Most Phormictopus species are very large, 8” +/-.

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
So just curious...

Do any of you have a Phormictopus?

Are any of you planning on getting Phormictopus?

Daniel S

Arachnopeon
So just curious...

Do any of you have a Phormictopus?

Are any of you planning on getting Phormictopus?
I think you commented on my post of it, but I just got my P. Dominican purple yesterday! Definitely wanna get another auratus at some point