Difference between Parabuthus Transvaacilus and Androctonus liouvillei?

cayen

Arachnopeon
I found out about androctonus liouvillei today, and they awfully look similar to P. Trans. I wonder if you can differentiate them like with Asian forest scorpions and emperor scorpions?

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Sure thing, Chelizera of Parabuthus is slimmer, Androctonus got a bigger tail/body ratio, Parabuthus gets much bigger, Parabuthus has way more hair on it's tail etc.

Very easy to tell them apart.

Greetings

cayen

Arachnopeon
Sure thing, Chelizera of Parabuthus is slimmer, Androctonus got a bigger tail/body ratio, Parabuthus gets much bigger, Parabuthus has way more hair on it's tail etc.

Very easy to tell them apart.

Greetings
I see. So transvaacilus has slimmer chelicerae and are more bigger. My scorpion's tail is definitely big, almost as big as its body. I cannot see the hairs yet, It's 4i so its hard to tell... That's really helpful information, thank you for helping me!

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Visible differences between Androctonus and Parabuthus:

Metasoma:

Visibly setose - Parabuthus (Androctonus visibly not)

Heavy granulation with carinae - Parabuthus (Androctonus smoother or pitted with carinae)

Telson:

Telson *approximately* same width as fifth metasoma segment - Parabuthus (Parabuthus granulatus does not follow this rule, Androctonus telson width very visibly smaller than the fifth metasoma width).

Mesosoma tergites: single dorsal keel running almost the whole length of the mesosoma tergites - Parabuthus (Androctonus, a trio of diminutive dorsal keels in this pattern in front to bottom
\ | / )

Also, Androctonus has a stronger distinct (lyre shaped) keel pattern on the carapace.

Parabuthus transvaalicus
Scorpion-Parabuthus-transvaalicus-1-scaled.jpg

Androctonus
a_liouvillei_vs_mauritanicus.jpg

zookeys-686-015-g004.jpg