Did you buy new additions for Black Friday?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very clever... but I hope it doesn't work out like that! I also just bought 5 M. balfouri slings and am trying to keep them communally. I sure hope I don't end up with just one fat spider!
Who knows! Has to be done quite carefully in my opinion. I'm not willing to risk it w/my mine. If you want the best advice on that talk to @Thistles She not only has communal but she has bred them as well. I can't say for sure, but I bet she has the most experience w/this T of all the FREQUENT users of this board.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
ME TOO, I was shocked to read you were going communal again after THAT! hah.
Well I'm going with an absolutely massive tank, and I'm going to limit it to no more than three adults at any time. Given that these are truly communal tarantulas, I'm thinking that I'll have better luck.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Given that these are truly communal tarantulas, I'm thinking that I'll have better luck.
I'm unaware of communal behavior being documented in the wild w/this species are you? I'm fully aware of captive behavior..not always found in the wild.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Chris completed the summoning ritual.

I've never lost a balfouri in a communal, but I can tell the dynamic changes when there's a mature male around. I need to get a pic, but I've even had success with a dramatic size discrepancy. One of the slings in a group seems stunted, and is only about 3/4" DLS if that. Its siblings are 2+" DLS and have adult coloring. The little guy is still around, though! I don't know how much advice there is to give. Give hiding spots and I'd keep the quarters kind of close so they stay in contact.

I've derailed enough! Back to talking about all the lovely new babies you treated yourselves to!

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm unaware of communal behavior being documented in the wild w/this species are you? I'm fully aware of captive behavior..not always found in the wild.
I actually could have sworn that another user posted an article not too long ago about this. I'd need to dig it up, researching on the phone is nearly impossible.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I ordered an N. chromatus sling and a young female T. ockerti from Jamie. I can't wait for their arrival! I've been combing the boards for husbandry suggestions on T. ockerti. Looks like a terrestrial setup with space for low climbing, dry sub with a damp area?

iwlim

Arachnopeon
I ordered an N. chromatus sling and a young female T. ockerti from Jamie. I can't wait for their arrival! I've been combing the boards for husbandry suggestions on T. ockerti. Looks like a terrestrial setup with space for low climbing, dry sub with a damp area?

I also bought from Jamie during the BF sale!, I've ordered a female B. albopilosum and a female A. seemanni. I keep my T. ockteri on pretty dry substrate.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's awesome and I hope your communal tank does well ^_^ Would love to see a picture of them when you get it done. I only have 1 balfouri a roughly a little over an inch (worst eater ever, tried live and pre killed prey but it's butt looks healthy so i'm not too worried)

I've always wanted a P. muticus. I figured if I could do alright with this one, raise it to adult, then maybe... just maybe... I could handle an OBT.
I think, by the time your P.muticus
is a juvi/adult, you will definitely know if you're ready for an OBT, since it will take six or so years to reach that size for a P.muticus :D
Not hating at all, i recently got a P.muticus as well :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I actually could have sworn that another user posted an article not too long ago about this. I'd need to dig it up, researching on the phone is nearly impossible.
I'd love to read that if that's the case. By article I mean primary scientific literature.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Good luck to everyone with your new additions and future additions ^_^ @Helen Wheels I contemplated ordering a pulchra from her all the times she's had one. Maybe one day haha. Hopefully you'll get a female.

Josh Craig

Arachnopeon
I purchased a Harpactira pulchripes. Ive always wanted one and the prices are finally at a reasonable spot.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Kinda... Got a group of Neoholothele incei 1/2" slings a day or two before Black Friday to set up in a communal set-up. I fed them fat then put them all into a huge 10 gallon enclosure with lots of hides. That was 2 days ago, right now all are doing fine and have built separate webby holes from eachother. Hoping mine doesn't go as haywire as Eulers' did lol.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Kinda... Got a group of Neoholothele incei 1/2" slings a day or two before Black Friday to set up in a communal set-up. I fed them fat then put them all into a huge 10 gallon enclosure with lots of hides. That was 2 days ago, right now all are doing fine and have built separate webby holes from eachother. Hoping mine doesn't go as haywire as Eulers' did lol.
How many in the group? Thinking in a communal, but still a bit sure of the logistics

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
How many in the group? Thinking in a communal, but still a bit sure of the logistics
5 in a ten gallon. I've seen around 3 peaceful interactions between at least two in the two days they've been in there. They have tons of space. There are already 5 separate established hide things (webbed up).

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I actually just bought a place and I'm in the process of moving in so I'm going to wait until I've moved the ones I have before I buy a new one. That said, I'm probably going to look for a juvie/sub-adult female T. gigas, L. violaceopes, or a P. subfusca because I have a large enclosure from Jamie's just sitting there looking forlorn and empty (though an L. violaceopes will outgrow it).