Did something horrible today

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Well went into my local big box pet store today to just buy some substrate on the fly for some T's that I have coming in on Monday and I saw a deal I could not pass up.

I understand buying most likely wild caught T's from "petX" stores is unethical and immoral for multiple reasons.

When I looked at the 2 T's they had though it was your classic poor wild caught Avicularia and something they had labeled as a "Mexican Red Knee" which I clearly identified as Brachypelma Emilia for $50 US a piece including the horrible enclosures they were being kept in.

I knew it was wrong, and I knew that I was only feeding into an industry that was going to put another poorly treated wild caught specimen in that cage, but... I am ashamed to admit... I could not pass on buying an animal for such a sweet deal from people who had no idea of the value they were selling. So here is my pretty, digusting little unethical aquisition I got today for about a 1/3rd what it was worth. 4" dsl unsexed Brachypelma emlia.

Only way I can make up for it is that I swear I will try to breed it male or female and sell the offspring at a discount.

*Its definitely not in the enclosure or sub in the pic I bought it in. Remember for new keepers that wood chips are always bad for T's*

PXL_20211023_212926685.jpg

Last edited:

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's my take on "rescuing" WC Ts. While there's always going to be clueless people that buy them on impulse, those of us with a clue, such as yourself, are guaranteed to give these animals the best living conditions for the remainder of their lives. After I lost a WC mystery Aphonopelma to possible old age, I told myself that I wouldn't buy a WC T again... However, I can't guarantee I'll be able to resist if it's offered at a reasonable price. Currently, only my G. porteri is WC. Bought her 8 years ago at about 3". A male would have surely matured by now, ventrally it looks female, and its longevity seems to confirm it further. Not only does she have a laid back temperament, but she has a consistently good feeding response. I'm not one to overfeed, and she's usually one of the first to catch her crickets. I promised this girl that she'd get a good, long, quiet life. She rewards me by always been out on full display and I've never had any defensive behaviour out of her. *Knocks on wood* Wouldn't be surprised that this girl will still be with me 20 years from now.

Better you to have bought it than some uneducated person that buys it for all the wrong reasons (ie handling, scaring people with it, feeding dangerous prey items because it's cool to see it fight for its food, etc...). But I have to say that I'm actually surprised that they have WC Brachypelma given the protection and strict regulations the genus has gotten over the decades. At any case, it would be so awesome that it turns out female and you have a good pet for decades to come.

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
The T is lucky it’s has gone to such a good home! I agree with the above post even though it “feeding the industry” if you don’t do it someone else will and they might not be as educated as you and suffer a very uncomfortable horrible life

birdonfire

Arachnosquire
The store will stock another one. Leave a review. Get the word out about the ugly side of wild caught pets and the negligent housing.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Well went into my local big box pet store today to just buy some substrate on the fly for some T's that I have coming in on Monday and I saw a deal I could not pass up.

I understand buying most likely wild caught T's from "petX" stores is unethical and immoral for multiple reasons.

When I looked at the 2 T's they had though it was your classic poor wild caught Avicularia and something they had labeled as a "Mexican Red Knee" which I clearly identified as Brachypelma Emilia for $50 US a piece including the horrible enclosures they were being kept in.

I knew it was wrong, and I knew that I was only feeding into an industry that was going to put another poorly treated wild caught specimen in that cage, but... I am ashamed to admit... I could not pass on buying an animal for such a sweet deal from people who had no idea of the value they were selling. So here is my pretty, digusting little unethical aquisition I got today for about a 1/3rd what it was worth. 4" dsl unsexed Brachypelma emlia.

Only way I can make up for it is that I swear I will try to breed it male or female and sell the offspring at a discount.

*Its definitely not in the enclosure or sub in the pic I bought it in. Remember for new keepers that wood chips are always bad for T's*
My goodness, don't be so hard on yourself. I would have done the exact same thing. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The horrible thing you did is buying a 'Brachy' when out there it's full of African/Asian/Pokie T's that needs a home :troll:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince

Don't be so hard on yourself there's nothing wrong with buying a T. You buying one isn't gonna make any difference on the store practices. But you can give it a good home.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I think the only way to make this right is next visit wear a pair of horse blinders.

Several months ago I encounter something similar for a 3” suspect male emilia. I walked away, but deep down I would have if it wasn’t $99, pretty sure that was the listed price. Saw it climb the glass enclosure and fall a few inches and was like nope, not taking on potential problems. I felt bad for it.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
You’re so sweet! It’s true that it feeds into their motives to continue it but I agree you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself! Honestly one single T isn’t going to make a difference. You got a gorgeous T. And I’m ashamed to admit it but if I walked into a store there’s a handful of Ts I just wouldn’t walk away from. Like a G. rosea, granted that wouldn’t happen these days.