Did somebody ask "How strong is a tarantula?"???

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I named my B smithi Houdini because he somehow escaped from his enclosure, inexplicably, within days of joining my household. I got lucky, and found him on the floor behind my laundry hamper. That was a little over a year ago.

Well, Houdini is at it again ... I came to say nighty-night and found this ...

IMG_0252.jpg

To my horror, Houdini was gonzo.

I don't mean to say that I panicked, but a crazy-quilt of hypotheticals criss-crossed my consciousness demanding to be heard, like "How long ago did this happen?" and "How the heck did he DO this?" and "How am I ever going to find him?" and so on. I grabbed my flashlight and the hunt was on.

This is not a large smithi we're talking here, but he somehow managed to dislodge what I thought was a secure cover of his enclosure and walk away. I looked everywhere - under things, behind things, inside things - and finally, I got lucky - again - I found him crawling about in a box of files and photographs, and managed to coax him into a cup and back into his enclosure.

IMG_0254.jpg

I know it sounds crazy, but I think I know how he did it - I think that he wedged himself between the top of the hide and the lid, and pushed, causing the lid to open and tip sideways, thus leaving an escape route. Resourceful little devil, isn't he???? Looks like it's time for a bigger hide/enclosure.

Moral of the story - never underestimate the brute strength of a determined tarantula!

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Yeah, they're REALLY strong. I'm glad you found him. Good luck trying to contain him again :O:_:O:

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
My G. pulchripes did the same thing to me about a month ago, interesting to see how strong these t's can be.

Very glad you found yours hope there isnt a next time.

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always see my B. smithi trying to push up on the lid, but it is really secured. If you didn't have anything on top of the lid, it can easily push it off.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only have two terrestrials and their tops have snaps, but I still have a heavy book ontop. All my arboreals have screw tops or really good snaps.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
>=

Oh GREAT! My versi enclosure has a screen lid - should I be worried about that too !?!?!?!?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's really, REALLY eerie is my B. smithi, about that same size and in the identical cage w/ the same setup (half terracotta pot and cap dish) also tried to break out a few times before I rehoused her.

I'm serious, it's spooky how much that looks like what I moved her from into her new 2.5g glass w/ mesh lid.

Prior to her molting here this past week she also was found of climbing around the screen lid and caught her dangling a few times tho was close enough to substrate I don't think it would have caused any damage.

Spooky and if I can find a pic I post it up, lol.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Don't underestimate them or they will escape. My adult P.regalis managed to slide off TTKG off of her custom cage and escape one night. For me, if the lid doesn't lock, then it's no good.

P.S

O.P I had that same cage holding a 3'' P.murinus once, but it had a nice sized book on top of the lid just in case.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have had that same container house two different tarantulas now with no problems... mine just never try to escape, unless I am stupid and leave the lid open lol

Glad yours was found, though!

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only problematic T I have ever had has to be Lasiodora Difficilis she was around 8" leg span and she started to make a hole in the mesh of a exo faunarium which I was surprised at.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bigger T's can absolutely chew their way through mesh screen, metal or fiberglass. I recall a story about a large T. blondi actually chewing through rat wire. I wish I could find that thread, it was a good story.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bigger T's can absolutely chew their way through mesh screen, metal or fiberglass. I recall a story about a large T. blondi actually chewing through rat wire. I wish I could find that thread, it was a good story.
Yeah I was quite amazed at this

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
funny first of all my versicolor is named Houdini for escaping a couple of times when she was smaller and second, my B. boehmei just pushed the top and got out last night with 3 small containers holding the lid down!!! This is the second time he's gotten out. His name is Habanero, spicy T lol

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The only problematic T I have ever had has to be Lasiodora Difficilis she was around 8" leg span and she started to make a hole in the mesh of a exo faunarium which I was surprised at.
I've been looking at the Exoterra's and wondered about that mesh ... anyone else had this problem ?
I though of replacing it with 6x6 welded aluminium mesh.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Better to replace it with drilled plexi. It's smooth so they can't get a grip and strong. Plus it cuts ventilation way down which is a good thing. Those exo's are too venty.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been looking at the Exoterra's and wondered about that mesh ... anyone else had this problem ?
I though of replacing it with 6x6 welded aluminium mesh.
Better to replace it with drilled plexi. It's smooth so they can't get a grip and strong. Plus it cuts ventilation way down which is a good thing. Those exo's are too venty.
Agree with Moltar. I have one of the larger Exo's and I did that, cut a plexi pane and drilled it with holes not because of possible escapes at the time but rather keeping some of the moisture and humidity in.

It wasn't too hard and if you do it right you simply pop out the screen, using the two clip-like things that hold it in and fashion the new plexi to go around them. If your lucky and good with a Dremel you can get them so those same clips semi-lock in the plexli like it had done prior with the mesh.

Let me see if I can get a pic of what I did but beware the Exo isn't being used and it's prolly quite dirty :D

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here we go and again, excuse the dirty enclosure top and desk :)

P.S. Was using some really nasty drill bit to do this in a pinch so they are by NO WAY the best that could be done. The bit and the plexi as well the coldness of this past winter really made it hard and it "chipped" much of the outer edges. No issue tho since it was for an A. avic at the time and was 4" so not like she's gonna get hurt over it :D