Did she eat it?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
My juvie B. smithi hasn't eaten yet since she got here; tonight I put a medium-sized cricket in with her a couple hours ago and specifically made sure that they were confined in a small area of the tank (I did the soda bottle thing). Anyways, I just checked on her and the cricket is nowhere to be found. Furious, I figured that the cricket must've gotten out and was hiding in the tank somewhere. But I can't find it anywhere, and I see no carcasses.
But wait! I see Shelob doing something I've never seen her do before; she's cleaning her fangs. So did she eat it or what? Is it possible for the entire cricket to be eaten with no remains?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes it's possible. If this is the first time she's eaten since you've had her, the cricket probably didn't last long. Keep looking for a little, round bundle of remains to make sure. She might have taken it to another part of the tank that she does not hang around much.

Last edited:

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Yes it's possible. If this is the first time she's eaten since you've had her, the cricket probably didn't last long. Keep looking for a little, round bundle of ramains to make sure. She might have taken it to another part of the tank that she does not hang around much.
Okay I'll keep looking. Since she's cleaning for the first time, I'm assuming that she gobbled that thing up. Guess I'd be that hungry too if I hadn't eaten in 3 weeks or so. o_O;

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Well since I'm still uncertain about whether she ate it or not, would it be okay if I gave her another cricket tonight or tomorrow, or should I wait a few days?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It would be ok to put another one in now. A lot of keepers feed their T's multiple cricks at once then they wait a couple of weeks and do it again. After this one wait a few days. You don't want to turn her into a little fatty too quick.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
It would be ok to put another one in now. A lot of keepers feed their T's multiple cricks at once then they wait a couple of weeks and do it again. After this one wait a few days. You don't want to turn her into a little fatty too quick.
'kay. I'd like to make up for the past couple weeks when she was taranorexic (I should copyright that word). XD

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
'kay. I'd like to make up for the past couple weeks when she was taranorexic (I should copyright that word). XD
That's not necessary, a couple weeks without eating is nothing for a T. One cricket a week is fine. :)

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Agreed, it probably made short work of the cricket, but if I may ask, what type of substrate are you using for the Smithi?

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, my A. Pallidum has eaten the whole body of the cricket, 80% of the time. Only every once in a while does he just suck the juices out of it. If he des leave a carcass, then you're supposed to remove it, btw. just making sure u knew that. :)

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Yeah, my A. Pallidum has eaten the whole body of the cricket, 80% of the time. Only every once in a while does he just suck the juices out of it. If he des leave a carcass, then you're supposed to remove it, btw. just making sure u knew that. :)
Yep that's one reason why I'm looking for it. =P
I think I see something kinda round and foreign beside her now, so I'll take it out.
And one more quick question. The other crickets I bought are adults and are pretty big compared to the one she just ate. Since Shelob is only 3" and has a pretty small abdomen, should I dismember the larger crickets so that they don't harm her, or should I not feed them to her at all?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, you don't need to dismember any cricket for a 3 inch tarantula. At that size the T will have a lot of fun with a 3/4 or 1 inch crick. I'tll be fun to watch too.

goferris

Arachnopeon
personally i have a 3 or so in b albo and it can take on 2 large crix at a time (it attacks both at the same time and carries them around in its fangs. quite fun to watch) so it shoudn't have any problem.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes well fun as it sounds I have had a T a B. Smithi as a matter of fact that was split open by a kicking cricket. The cricket kicked while being killed by my T and gave her a gash on her underside. I watched it happen so now with my smaller Ts I take off the back legs of the cricket. I only have 2 Ts that eat crickets now so its not to much of a big deal. Strictly roaches for me now. But anyway use caution. I have seen stranger things happen.

goferris

Arachnopeon
Yes well fun as it sounds I have had a T a B. Smithi as a matter of fact that was split open by a kicking cricket. The cricket kicked while being killed by my T and gave her a gash on her underside. I watched it happen so now with my smaller Ts I take off the back legs of the cricket. I only have 2 Ts that eat crickets now so its not to much of a big deal. Strictly roaches for me now. But anyway use caution. I have seen stranger things happen.
was the t freshly molted when it was kicked? maybe its exo skeleton just wasn't hardened enough. i don't know personally about your situation. personally i wouldn't ever purposely bring roaches into my house. i have had too many bad experiences with roaches.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dubia cant climb, dont smell, (at least that bad) dont make noise.
I keep them in a tub with a lid and have never seen one try to get out. Easy to maintain and breed.......... I have 85 Ts crickets are just not an option anymore theres to much money spent on food. You figure with 85 Ts Id spend 25-35 bucks a month on crickets. Where I spent 40 on roaches 8 months ago and have not spent a dime since.

As for the injured T it was 5 months after a molt when that happened.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most likely I think your T ate the whole thing, my aureostriata which is 2inches eats all of the crick all the time, only yesterday I found a small shell but that was it, prior feedings left nothing at all. I worry more about small slings leaving left overs then the bigger Ts but as precaution always check a day after feeding to make sure no remains are left and whatever is left, please remove ASAP.

goferris

Arachnopeon
As for the injured T it was 5 months after a molt when that happened.
so did you lose the t? if so that is sad. and how big was it when this happened. i would hate to have this happen to one of my Ts.
i only have 2 Ts being new to the hobby so cost really isn't an issue for me. about 40 cents a week is all

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Shes was about 3 inches. I did not lose her but she did have molt complications from that scar. The scar would split and bleed every now and then for no reason at all even after a few new molts.