Did my p. murinus hiss at me?

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I walked in my room and turned on the light to my spinifer tank... When i got too close to my p. murinus' enclosure while viewing my scorps i heard a loud HSSSSS!!! When i looked into the cage she was in there pacing around aggressively. It startled me and made my heart race for a second... Can murinus hiss?

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I cant say for sure but I just got one of these and swear I heard it hiss too.

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ya know, I could have sworn the first few days I got my P.Murinus I heard a very distinct hiss, and it wasn't coming from any of my snakes. I heard it when I accidently bumped my OBT's cage when I was trying to clean up the shelf a little bit. But after awhile I just kinda shrugged it off not knowing what it was. I didn't think OBTs hissed, i thought that was the King Baboons specialty? :p

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both my Hysterocrates Gigas and Pterinochilus Murinus hiss very noticeably. Mean bastards.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Interesting. I knew h. gigas, c. crawshayi, and selenocosmia species could stridulate, but I didn't know about p. murinus.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With some species the quick action of them raising to a threat position makes a similar noise sounding like they are trying to stridulate but they are not.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i thought mine did once but figured i was just hearing things.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
With some species the quick action of them raising to a threat position makes a similar noise sounding like they are trying to stridulate but they are not.

My lugardi was in her burrow and I kept hearing it after a roach went down there. She was in premolt and I had to pull the roach out the next day she didn't touch it. Thats the only time I heard her hissing....it was pretty loud I could not figure out what it was at first.

Steph

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i thought mine did once but figured i was just hearing things.
I know, my gf was standing right next to me and didnt hear it. I was like WHAT! It was sooo loud and distinct, and for a second my heart stopped. It really was an evil hiss, how could she not hear it? Thats why i asked here...

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, Pternochilicus spp., Citharischius crawshayi, Anoploscelus lesserti, Selenocosmia spp., Hysterocrates spp., Theraphosa spp., Ceratogyrus cornuatus, and I heard rumors of even Brachypelma boehmei presumably hissing...I would like someone or an owner to chime in on that.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i've never heard of this, can you cite some sources? Afaik, stridulation occurs when specialized hairs on a T's body (usually around the chelicarae) are quickly rubbed together...it does not occur with the "regular" hairs on a T's body such as the legs or cephalothorax.

i'm sure I messed up the spelling on some of those words a little bit lol

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You did not mess up anything really. I get what you are getting at but every species when spooked into a threat display makes a noise....... but its not them trying to stridulate. I cant site anything right now but I will work on it.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is kinda a DUH type thing but it might be worth asking...would you people who claim to hear your P. murinus hiss also happen to keep species like C. crawshayi that have stridulating organs. Maybe you're actually hearing your other T's? Or is definately coming from the P. murinus, without a doubt?

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a h. gigus, 8 g. rosea's and a p. murinus. i opened my desk drawer and the murinus was sitting on the desk. i may have been hearing things but it sounded like a faint hiss. it cought me totally off gaurd so i cant say that it hissed. all i know is it made some kind of sound. it was out and i walked in the room fliped on the light and opened the drawer. its possible it was something else but i dont know what. i had actually dismissed it untill i read this.
every one will be teasing there spiders now trying to make them hiss. {D pencil in one hand, camcorder in the other.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
This is kinda a DUH type thing but it might be worth asking...would you people who claim to hear your P. murinus hiss also happen to keep species like C. crawshayi that have stridulating organs. Maybe you're actually hearing your other T's? Or is definately coming from the P. murinus, without a doubt?
my OBT hissed at me on numerous occasions...no mistaking it's origin since it was the only tank within 10 feet of me lol.