Did my first Tarantula die of old age?

DanDwarfTs

Arachnopeon
Hi there! My name's Dan and I'm new to the hobby and the forum.

A couple of days ago the first tarantula I've ever owned, a Cyriocosmus Elegans, died after several weeks of behaving very oddly. I'm asking for your opinion on this matter in order to understand if there’s anything I might have done wrong that could be improved in the future or if the T just died of old age. The problem is that I don't really know if my T was male or female, but it died after more or less 1 year and 8 months since I got it and I know that a male C. Elegans only gets to about that age. What I'm wondering is if the way the T died is typical of Tarantulas dying of old age or if it might be indicative of other causes. I might just describe it to you: several weeks before actually dying, he (I'm just assuming/hoping it was a male) started spending a lot of time out of his burrow, after basically a year or even more of never coming out on the open. After that, I started seeing him from time to time completely curled up in a corner of the enclosure; he basically looked dead already, but every time I opened up the enclosure to check on him, he got himself together and escaped to his burrow. This went on for two weeks. I should add that the T was refusing food for a very long time before this behaviour started, but his abdomen did not look thin at all and I continued to offer him food from time to time. I know Ts can live a long time without feeding, but how long is a long time (we're talking months here)? Also, he didn’t have an overall healthy appearance, since it's abdomen looked completely bold, almost like that of normal spiders (you know what I mean). Another thing I wonder is whether at that age I should have been able to determine the sex of the T by eye. I have seen pictures of male C. Elegans and they all seem to share a sort of disproportionate body, with a small, thin abdomen and long legs. Mine seemed relatively well-proportioned, although in general he seemed to have remained quite small in size. Do you think that after 1.8 years it should be quite obvious whether it is a male or a female? Just to get one last thing out of the way: the spider did have a bowl of water available and I actually saw him drinking several times while he was in this condition. In fact he spent most of his time curled up next to the bowl. I used to give him distilled water, since it's the same I use to spray the enclosure: could this have been the fatale mistake?

Thanks for your help

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi there! My name's Dan and I'm new to the hobby and the forum.

A couple of days ago the first tarantula I've ever owned, a Cyriocosmus Elegans, died after several weeks of behaving very oddly. I'm asking for your opinion on this matter in order to understand if there’s anything I might have done wrong that could be improved in the future or if the T just died of old age. The problem is that I don't really know if my T was male or female, but it died after more or less 1 year and 8 months since I got it and I know that a male C. Elegans only gets to about that age. What I'm wondering is if the way the T died is typical of Tarantulas dying of old age or if it might be indicative of other causes. I might just describe it to you: several weeks before actually dying, he (I'm just assuming/hoping it was a male) started spending a lot of time out of his burrow, after basically a year or even more of never coming out on the open. After that, I started seeing him from time to time completely curled up in a corner of the enclosure; he basically looked dead already, but every time I opened up the enclosure to check on him, he got himself together and escaped to his burrow. This went on for two weeks. I should add that the T was refusing food for a very long time before this behaviour started, but his abdomen did not look thin at all and I continued to offer him food from time to time. I know Ts can live a long time without feeding, but how long is a long time (we're talking months here)? Also, he didn’t have an overall healthy appearance, since it's abdomen looked completely bold, almost like that of normal spiders (you know what I mean). Another thing I wonder is whether at that age I should have been able to determine the sex of the T by eye. I have seen pictures of male C. Elegans and they all seem to share a sort of disproportionate body, with a small, thin abdomen and long legs. Mine seemed relatively well-proportioned, although in general he seemed to have remained quite small in size. Do you think that after 1.8 years it should be quite obvious whether it is a male or a female? Just to get one last thing out of the way: the spider did have a bowl of water available and I actually saw him drinking several times while he was in this condition. In fact he spent most of his time curled up next to the bowl. I used to give him distilled water, since it's the same I use to spray the enclosure: could this have been the fatale mistake?

Thanks for your help
Do you have any pictures of the spider and enclosure it was in?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the T when it was dead 😅, I'll see if I find earlier ones, here's the enclosure.
I meant when it was alive.

The enclosure has a lot of height. They can fall and rupture their abdomen.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Touché. So you're saying it's more likely that the T died falling from the glass than of old age?
Potentially, but there could have been a variety of causes. The enclosure definitely needed more sub though. Do you know how old he was when you got him? Might’ve been older than you realised.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
It is hard to imagine that a Cyriocosmus elegans with its flyweight would injure itself at this altitude. They sometimes jump off the table and keep walking rather unimpressed.
The fact is that this species likes to dig and needs a lot more soil substrate. This should also never dry out. In what posture did you find the dead animal?

DanDwarfTs

Arachnopeon
It is hard to imagine that a Cyriocosmus elegans with its flyweight would injure itself at this altitude. They sometimes jump off the table and keep walking rather unimpressed.
The fact is that this species likes to dig and needs a lot more soil substrate. This should also never dry out. In what posture did you find the dead animal?
Hi and thanks for your answers. I found him with his legs curled under the body in a corner of the enclosure. It almost looked like he was trying to stick his head underneath the substrate.