Did I just fall victim to The Hair kick?

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
You bunch will love this.

So, was rounding up my Suspected male G.rosea to Get some pictures for true sexing, and an hour or so after, I start itching from head to toe:confused: The only Part of my body that the lil dude went on/near are my hands.

This is how it went *timeline*

-Open container
-Teensy Walks out onto my hands (VERRY 'friendly', will walk right onto your hand)
-Pictures are taken, all on my hand (nothing that would have stressed him out there.
-Put him on floor watched him roam a bit
-Put back

*~~~~ITCH~~~~*

It's either that or i'm allergic to life. Or have west nile.:?:barf::wall:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you know, tarantulas coat the substrate with Urticating bristles. chances are, when you opened its container, some where airborn and wha la...itchy.

go take a hot shower and scrub down. you will feel better.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Hah, well I wasnt expecting a Kamikaze Attack of STEEL WOOL on my skin.

My Other T has never given me a problem this...apparent I should say?
Little angel is going in time out!...After I feed him :drool:

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
First, you know you cant curse here.(so edit that before an infraction is given) just a heads up.

second. you will find you will be more sensitive to certain types of tarantula hair. for instance, I break out in hive even messing with my Brachypelma smithi. literally...hives. but yet I can basically roll around in other species hair and not feel a thing.

I once was messing around in my L.P.'s enclosure without a shirt and it felt like I was burning.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Okay no but really, Is that what i'm experiencing? I have no known allergies, The most I have gotten was years ago when I kept guinea pigs, one out of 10 holdings ended up with me itching like a human sized mosquito bite. Same exact reaction though...?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you held a tarantula....that is covered with urticating hairs. Thats what is the matter. dont panic. seriously go take a hot shower. scrub down and you will feel better.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, the hairs are really irritating. My G. Rosea makes me itch like crazy when I clean the tank.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
well when i lived in florida we had these tings called stinging nettles there these plants with little hairs on them similar to a Ts u-hairs and we used to use vinegar to get the hairs out and stop the pain. i dunno if same thing would apply i would try but my rosea the only one i have that can kick hairs ( until the 10th at least :D) would rather turn around and bite me then hair

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you shouldnt be so rude about it man. calm down. we dont need another "JOE" here.
He wasn't... I'm sure he has figured out her reputation so far. She has opened the door beautifully for some of the picking.

Hey noob,

Everyone reacts differently. I got rid of 10 beautiful brachy's because they litterally ripped me apart! You may find that as time goes on, your sensitivity to them will go up as well. Just protect yourself during cage duty and it will help.

Lasiodora also seems to be getting me bad lately!

"The other Joe"