Did I Hurt My Tarantula?? :(

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
happy for you

This was a dramatic thread!! great to hear you saved a T because you did your homework and wasnt afraid to ask for help :) GOOD JOB and welcome to the hobby!!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most likely not. Where you guys live, there is lots of wondering ts. Mostly Aphonopelmas (90%). If you want, you could go get the other one...
You just might mean something else, i don't know. But I'm pretty sure 100% of the T's in her area are Aphonopelma, not 90%.

Ashes44

Arachnopeon
And yes, I know I have a lecture or two about her not having something to burrow in yet...she has an option, but she didn't take to it. BUT she will have a new home this week...please don't be upset with me!:confused:

Ashes44

Arachnopeon
Video!

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/442897610406" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/442897610406" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Ashes44

Arachnopeon
Okay so my fb video didn't work, i'll try youtube in the a.m. GOODNIGHT :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And yes, I know I have a lecture or two about her not having something to burrow in yet...she has an option, but she didn't take to it. BUT she will have a new home this week...please don't be upset with me!:confused:
No one can lecture you for how you have her housed right now.. The way you have her housed saved her life.. ;)
You did an awesome job.. Cant wait to see the video.. :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
if that is a paper towel she is on in that picture.. it looks really nasty and starting to grow. please remove it. she doesnt need to be in an icu if she is doing ok. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if that is a paper towel she is on in that picture.. it looks really nasty and starting to grow. please remove it. she doesnt need to be in an icu if she is doing ok. :)
Did you happen to read any of this thread? I take it you didnt..

If she was ok she wouldnt be in an ICU.. Now that she *is* OK the OP is working on getting her in her new enclosure..
If she was to change the paper towel everytime it *looked* nasty she would put the tarantula in more stress than need be..

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Did you happen to read any of this thread? I take it you didnt..

If she was ok she wouldnt be in an ICU.. Now that she *is* OK the OP is working on getting her in her new enclosure..
If she was to change the paper towel everytime it *looked* nasty she would put the tarantula in more stress than need be..
no need to be condesending, but i did read the thread, and all of it. I just reccomended her to take it out because the T is now doing ok. Fyi i think your one of the people on these thread i find to be a likable and understanding person. If i sounded like i came off a bit harsh then im sorry.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no need to be condesending, but i did read the thread, and all of it. I just reccomended her to take it out because the T is now doing ok. Fyi i think your one of the people on these thread i find to be a likable and understanding person. If i sounded like i came off a bit harsh then im sorry.
No yo didnt come off harsh or nothing.. I was just saying the taranutla is not in any danger being on a dirty paper towel.. I also believe there is no since in stressing the tarantula just to change it out..

She should just leave it where its at until she has the permanant enclosure setup.. That way the tarantula does not have to be stressed more by being moved so much..

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I respect your opinion and understand how it would stress the T, but i dont think it would be good to leave a T that normally lives in a dry climate on a wet paper towel. especialy when pray items are eaten over it.. im guessing the bacteria wont harm her. but removing it would prevent any possiblity. also if she were to lay on it with her book lungs that wouldnt be good. If it isnt hard to remove i dont think the T would mind. and if she was in stress it would only be for a moment or maybe 20 mins

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I respect your opinion and understand how it would stress the T, but i dont think it would be good to leave a T that normally lives in a dry climate on a wet paper towel. especialy when pray items are eaten over it.. im guessing the bacteria wont harm her. but removing it would prevent any possiblity. also if she were to lay on it with her book lungs that wouldnt be good. If it isnt hard to remove i dont think the T would mind. and if she was in stress it would only be for a moment or maybe 20 mins
As I respect yours..

But this tarantula has been in a death curl for several days.. Here in the past day or so she has came out of the death curl..
Now.. Do you honestly think it needs to have that moment or maybe 20 minutes of stress?

I think it will be just fine without removing the wet paper towel.. Its there for a reason.. The spider is not going to drown because its on wet paper towel..
I had to do this with a few of mine.. They lived..

As far as bactiera.. Yes you might be right about the growth.. But I highly doubt it will effect the tarantula being on it until the OP builds its new enclosure..

IMO.. It wont hurt to leave the tarantula where is at for a couple more days.. It will give her a couple more days to become more hydrated..

Ashes44

Arachnopeon
Athena is gonna molt!

Great news all :) Athena is on her back and ready to molt. I'll post pics in a couple days of her shed exo and new pics of her pretty new look!!

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm glad she pulled through. I hope she gives you many years of enjoyment, and kudos to you for saving her from a stomping. I see years of happy tarantula keeping in your future!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was on the edge of my seat for this whole thread! lol

Really glad to hear she is doing well for you... definitely please keep us updated. Any plans for what your next T will be? You know you can't have just one, right? :p