Did I Hurt My Tarantula?? :(

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no problem. the T should be fine. they are pretty hardy creatures. i think she will make it out just fine.

but you are better compared to other people i've met that just got into the hobby.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did read that the reason its back (not the rear end part) is bald and lighter in color is because it's an older spider...
I want one though. And if I killed this one accidentally, am I gonna have horrible karma when trying to care for another?
Everyone has given you good advise. Don't touch it at all and let nature take it's course, whichever way that may be.

Don't worry about Karma. It's all about intention and your intentions are to help. Guilt is also a useless,damaging emotion if there is/was no ill will involved.

With this spider or another, you'll make a great T mom;)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Everyone has given you good advise. Don't touch it at all and let nature take it's course, whichever way that may be.

Don't worry about Karma. It's all about intention and your intentions are to help. Guilt is also a useless,damaging emotion if there is/was no ill will involved.

With this spider or another, you'll make a great T mom;)
Ditto! Always great to get caring, loving people into the hobby!

To be honest, I think pretty much every novice makes some of the mistakes you've made, and come out just fine. We mistake these creatures for having feelings, and a need for comfort and support. I know I do some times! But you just have to think that they are highly instinct driven animals, and they can do pretty much everything themselves. If it really is it's time to go, you can't do much anyways.

I salute you for your efforts, and wish you the best of luck with this and any future babies, cause believe me, from now on, you're hooked :D

Nikkeh

Arachnopeon
+1 to AbraCadaver. You'll now be completly addicted. :) Welcome to the hobby! If you want to read up on your T keeping have a look for the tarantula keepers guide. It may be slightly outdated but it's really good for the basic care for your T's.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
So let me get this straight, you flipped it over onto its belly when it was on its back?
I wouldn't leave at certain petstores like petco or petsmart, they know nothing.:wall:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just chill OUT! She fine. She was trying to molt, buy you disturbed her. Just leave her for a while (1 or 2 days) in a closet. And tarantulas cant eat greens :p She'll be fine. But if shes in a death curl, then she MIGHT recover. The chances are slim

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's probably a mature male...
+1 If scared kids were gonna stomp on a t, its most likely it was wondering out somewhere to find a mate. Does it have hooks? Does it look little? Is it brown? Pics will help out ALOT! :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's probably a mature male...
Very likely if it was out wandering around. If you can post a picture this can be confirmed. A mature male isn't long for this world no matter what you do. That's just nature. Also, if a T was that close to molting it wouldn't be out and about unless something had caused it to have to flee it's burrow nearby.

Ashes44

Arachnopeon
Update

So Athena is still alive, but I still am unsure if she will stay alive. She is in a dark place with a little bit of light and has moved since yesterday, although she is still in her death curl :( I fear that she might have been molting and can't get out of her old skin. SO I am going to exercise as much self control as I possibly can and not even shine my flashlight on her until tomorrow morning. Good thing is I will be at work until late, so I can't check on her too much. I want her to live soooo badly, but I am officially a T lover at this point and plan to adopt another if she can't pull through. She is still making a lot of movement in her position so I am hoping for the best...
Thanks to everybody for all the help and well wishes...I feel like I have just stumbled upon some great people :)
And I WILL POST THE PICS I have as soon as I get back home in a couple of hours :) She's really beautiful.

NChromatus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So Athena is still alive, but I still am unsure if she will stay alive. She is in a dark place with a little bit of light and has moved since yesterday, although she is still in her death curl :( I fear that she might have been molting and can't get out of her old skin. SO I am going to exercise as much self control as I possibly can and not even shine my flashlight on her until tomorrow morning. Good thing is I will be at work until late, so I can't check on her too much. I want her to live soooo badly, but I am officially a T lover at this point and plan to adopt another if she can't pull through. She is still making a lot of movement in her position so I am hoping for the best...
Thanks to everybody for all the help and well wishes...I feel like I have just stumbled upon some great people :)
And I WILL POST THE PICS I have as soon as I get back home in a couple of hours :) She's really beautiful.
Have you given her a waterdish? If her legs are curled, the best thing you can do is put her mouth in water so she can drink.

It's doubtful that you stumbled on this tarantula when it was trying to molt. If its carapace has not "popped" by now, it's further doubtful it's been trying to molt.

The key to this, which others have been saying, is to give the tarantula a quiet place to de-stress, while also giving it access to what it needs. Don't worry about food for now, but just make sure it has a good water dish, a damp (not wet or soaking) substrate of some kind (what are you using?), and a dark place where it won't be subject to lots of vibrations. They don't need attention, like dogs or cats, or to be petted or comforted. In fact, attention tends to stress them out and make them less healthy.

Also check the tarantula for hooks on its two front legs (not its pedipalps), and for "clubbed" pedipalps. If it has those, it's a mature male. Since you found it out in the open there's a good chance that's what it is- mature males do a lot of roaming around, looking for females. Like others have said, if it's a mature male you shouldn't expect it to live long. In fact, if you're able to nurse him back to health it might be good to put him back near the area where he was found, if there's a place where there could be a tarantula colony.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you do keep it and it does live and it does molt, don't feed it two days after, feed it two weeks at the minimum after. At two days its fangs will still have the structural rigidity of bubblegum on hot asphalt.

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ts dont like light too much. so staying at a dark place or concealing themselves is very common. make sure the room isnt too cold either. it's a desert species.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
don't know if that is a good idea for you...{D
I think it's a great idea; she's willing to do what it takes to research and help this little stranger, and that's most of the battle;) It's not her fault she's stumbled upon a probable MM on his way out.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I think it's a great idea; she's willing to do what it takes to research and help this little stranger, and that's most of the battle;) It's not her fault she's stumbled upon a probable MM on his way out.
+1

Every single one of us in this hobby had to start somewhere. We certainly didn't start knowing everything. Granted some of us had the opportunity to do lots of research before getting our first spider, but in this case she attempted to rescue one, that as stated is likely an MM, and had to dive in headfirst. Whether this one makes it or not, is not her fault, and it's a stepping stone to becoming a knowledgable member of the hobby.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont make her feel bad :eek:
+1
+1
+1

Every single one of us in this hobby had to start somewhere. We certainly didn't start knowing everything. Granted some of us had the opportunity to do lots of research before getting our first spider, but in this case she attempted to rescue one, that as stated is likely an MM, and had to dive in headfirst. Whether this one makes it or not, is not her fault, and it's a stepping stone to becoming a knowledgable member of the hobby.
+1

don't know if that is a good idea for you...{D

We don't know if its a good idea for someone like you to keep breathing.. But we don't suggest you stop.. Do we?

*Edit* Just so everyone can take that comment lightly I will add this..

> {D <

Did it help any?

Ashes44

Arachnopeon
Athena Update - Need More Help!

Okay, I'm gonna try to post pics and the video I just took. I'm almost positive she is molting! She looks almost black, which is completely different than the bay brown she was even this morning.
Her movement looks calculated. At first, I thought she was trying to stand up. But the movement comes almost in pulses. I'll try to figure out how to upload quickly so maybe I can get some feedback!

Ashes44

Arachnopeon
Also...

I already feel stupid, and I don't want to lose this T. If it is a mature male, then that's disappointing, although I'm still glad I didn't let the kids hurt him (if it's a him). I'm trying and maybe being too enthusiastic...I don't know.