Did I do the right thing?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I started a thread (which has since run to over 40 pages!) on another message board, and during the duration of the thread several people have decided to start keeping T's.

All the way through I've been steering people towards the more docile T's and advising them as best I can.

The latest new keeper has got himself a Chile rose, and made friends with a breeder - who's given the guy a baby P regalis for nothing.

Now he's asked my advice, and I've told him I really don't think a pokie is the best choice for a second spider - hell, I've been keeping T's for 10 years and only just coming round to the idea of one myself.

He's offered to give me the spiderling in exchange for something more suitable - I've suggested a 1.5" Curly hair (I can get holdof them for a reasonable cost)

Now have I done the right thing here? The guy is totally new to tarantulas, but seems very sensible and well read so far.
I just don't want to feel like I'm doing him out of a spider he really wants.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
unless it's a species that needs lots of special extras like super-high humidity or super-high temperature, i think any tarantula is good for anybody. just make sure the guy knows a regalis is not for holding or coddling, is super fast, and super aggressive. (note: i myself, do not own a regalis)

but more power to you if he trades you the regalis for a curly!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think you would be ripping him off terribly if you gave him a rosie for a pokie. I think you should let him have a chance to try it first before he gives it up. My roommate's first tarantula is a P irminia and they are very fast and fiesty. he is doing an excellent job thus far.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well that's what I thought - but these Pokies were on sale at just £2 each - the same price as the Curlies I can get...:/

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Gotta start sometime

You say the guy's well read, and as long as he's an adult and is getting help, I think a pokie is ok. If you guys trade, you should give him something equitable, whether it's in T's or a combination of cash & T's.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd let him keep the pokie, they are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, as long as you don't plan on cuddling it. My regalis is big, almost 8" and she is not real aggressive, more shy than anything. I still wouldn't want to hold her or anything like that and I'm careful when doing maintenance as long as he treats it with the respect the regalis deserves I don't see why he couldn't handle having one.

Andy

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
My first was a Rosey, then i jumped to a usumbra. I was totally fine. He just needs to realize hell never be able to handle it.

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
umm

I belive you should let him keep it with a warning that the P. regalis is a dengerous toxic tarantula that should be treated with respect and no touching. I my self knew this when I first got an adult female P. Irminia as my first T which I refere the Psalmopoeus genus as the new world pokies but I did fine because I knew what to do and not to do. I had a regalis but unfortunally it died and i think it's not a fair trade for a curly hair.

Geo