Did I do something wrong, or was this a bad choice of moss?

Nibbles

Arachnopeon
I ordered terrarium moss off Chewy, the packaging indicated it can be used for Ts. I ran a piece of it under the tap and squeezed out some of the excess water. I put this in the corner, and in addition I overflowed the water dish and put a little water around the outside of the burrow. This was Tuesday, I haven’t wet any part of the enclosure since. When I checked this morning, I discovered that the moss already started to mold. Could I have overdone it with the water? I don’t think I did but then again it is a small space. I’m including a picture of the enclosure if that helps.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What are you doing over there? Your acts were a bad choice.

1. Dude, "no one" remembers what species you have. Important info!
2. Yes
3. I only use moss for Purely decorative or mixed in the coco fiber for structure.
4. Too much water, and something else (I'll let you use some critical thinking) caused this.

Last edited:

Nibbles

Arachnopeon
What are you doing over there? Your acts were a bad choice.

1. Dude, "no one" remembers what species you have. Important info!
2. Yes
3. I only use moss for Purely decorative or mixed in the coco fiber for structure.
4. Too much water, and something else (I'll let you use some critical thinking) caused this.
Sorry, hamorii

And would it be “enhanced humidity?” I didn’t even think about that

I’ll make better decisions going forward. I’m under a fair bit of stress and need to get ahold of myself.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
I don't think you would need that much humidity for a B. hamorii for you to add moss.

It's okay, we all make mistakes. At least you learned. Just keep a waterdish dish in and overflow from time to time

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry, hamorii

And would it be “enhanced humidity?” I didn’t even think about that

I’ll make better decisions going forward. I’m under a fair bit of stress and need to get ahold of myself.
If it's stress from keeping a T- you should get a dog.

No- learn what conditions create mold growth- and you have perfected them clearly!

You will only make better decisions by doing more reading, true for all.

What makes you think that T needs such humidity requirements??? Read up!

Nibbles

Arachnopeon
If it's stress from keeping a T- you should get a dog.

No- learn what conditions create mold growth- and you have perfected them clearly!

You will only make better decisions by doing more reading, true for all.

What makes you think that T needs such humidity requirements??? Read up!
It’s definitely not from keeping a T, I’m very happy with mine 😁

Very true!

I didn’t mean to create that much humidity. I’ll leave it alone until it dries and be much more careful with how much water I add.

I don't think you would need that much humidity for a B. hamorii for you to add moss.

It's okay, we all make mistakes. At least you learned. Just keep a waterdish dish in and overflow from time to time
Oh okay. I added it because it was suggested to me on this site. I’ll just leave it out

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s definitely not from keeping a T, I’m very happy with mine 😁

Very true!

I didn’t mean to create that much humidity. I’ll leave it alone until it dries and be much more careful with how much water I add.
Ugh, dude, why are you adding water at all, beyond a water dish?

Nibbles

Arachnopeon
Ugh, dude, why are you adding water at all, beyond a water dish?
I was going with the suggestion to have a damp corner and to dampen it a little around the burrow. I’ll stick to JUST the water dish

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was going with the suggestion to have a damp corner and to dampen it a little around the burrow. I’ll stick to JUST the water dish

Can you dampen or over flow the water dish- yes, do I- never

I find this step complicates things for new owners so I never recommend it.

Should you- not until you master not getting mold

Lurtz

Arachnopeon
What size is the tarantula? The only thing I’d ever consider maybe needing that much humidity is a small sling. Once they get to a good size you shouldn’t be doing much more than a water dish. If they need water they’ll come and get it and it’s much more effective than wet moss or misting.

cayen

Arachnopeon
I ordered terrarium moss off Chewy, the packaging indicated it can be used for Ts. I ran a piece of it under the tap and squeezed out some of the excess water. I put this in the corner, and in addition I overflowed the water dish and put a little water around the outside of the burrow. This was Tuesday, I haven’t wet any part of the enclosure since. When I checked this morning, I discovered that the moss already started to mold. Could I have overdone it with the water? I don’t think I did but then again it is a small space. I’m including a picture of the enclosure if that helps.
There are a bunch of ways molds could start growing in your enclosure, mine started because i did not crush the leaves, and yours is probably because of too much humidity and lack of air ventilation. Mines an easy fix tho since the enclosure is for my P. Murinus and they prefer dryer places.

Brachypelmas from what I remember do not require that much humidity btw(unless its a sling) From what I have learned, the purpose of misting is to help, specifically the moisture dependant T's with their book lungs- their breathing. With Brachyprlmas iirc they prefer a bit dryer places like OBTs.

Attachments

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
As a sling,small water dish with a area of damp substrate. Juvenile and adults,water dish and slight overflow every two weeks or once a week depending on the ventilation you have.

They are not from the jungles of Asia. Yes it does get more humidity in n months like Dec but normally not out of the range of basic keeping in your home.

Water dish for anything above a sling in this specific spider and you are good. You either need to add vertical vent holes ,and or stop with the watering so much.

Unless it's all slings,I've never understood why people mist.
And by saying that I mean misting their web. That moisture is gone In like an hour's

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I do not recommend usually live moss, neither dried ones in small enclosures.

Those bags of moss are basically dried moss, so you basically need to revive them... If the ventilation it's not good enough it will develope mold, as it starts to decay under moisture.

Until you gain some experience and you give it a bigger enclosure, better to keep it simple.

Nibbles

Arachnopeon
What size is the tarantula? The only thing I’d ever consider maybe needing that much humidity is a small sling. Once they get to a good size you shouldn’t be doing much more than a water dish. If they need water they’ll come and get it and it’s much more effective than wet moss or misting.
Still very small. Maybe like 3/4 of an inch

As a sling,small water dish with a area of damp substrate. Juvenile and adults,water dish and slight overflow every two weeks or once a week depending on the ventilation you have.

They are not from the jungles of Asia. Yes it does get more humidity in n months like Dec but normally not out of the range of basic keeping in your home.

Water dish for anything above a sling in this specific spider and you are good. You either need to add vertical vent holes ,and or stop with the watering so much.

Unless it's all slings,I've never understood why people mist.
And by saying that I mean misting their web. That moisture is gone In like an hour's
There are vertical holes, the issue was definitely too much water