Did I buy the right display case?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My juvenile G. pulchripes is in need of a rehouse, so I picked up this 5x6x8 display case from Hobby Lobby.
image.jpg image.jpg
A lot of keepers use these. But the lid is hard to open. REALLY hard to open. And the plastic feels extremely brittle. If I tried to drill a hole in it, it would probably just shatter. What gives?

user 666

Arachnobaron
First, how big is your T?

I use that size case and I think it's ideal as a new home for a 2" T. But if the T is larger than 3" then you should get a larger enclosure, IMO.

Yes, the lid is hard to open. I consider that a feature rather than a problem.

And yes, if you're not careful when drilling holes, you can cause cracks around the holes. But all the cracks I made were small (2mm or less). The case did not shatter.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
First, how big is your T?

I use that size case and I think it's ideal as a new home for a 2" T. But if the T is larger than 3" then you should get a larger enclosure, IMO.

Yes, the lid is hard to open. I consider that a feature rather than a problem.

And yes, if you're not careful when drilling holes, you can cause cracks around the holes. But all the cracks I made were small (2mm or less). The case did not shatter.
My T is about 3 inches, but it's 8 inches long and 6 inches wide. I think that's ideal for up to a 4.5 inch T. And when I say hard to open, I mean i have to pry it open by wrapping my arm around the case and lifting the lid with my other hand as hard as I can until it explodes off with a loud cracking sound and I practically throw the lid across the room.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
My T is about 3 inches, but it's 8 inches long and 6 inches wide. I think that's ideal for up to a 4.5 inch T. And when I say hard to open, I mean i have to pry it open by wrapping my arm around the case and lifting the lid with my other hand as hard as I can until it explodes off with a loud cracking sound and I practically throw the lid across the room.
Bad lid, and hard to drill in... those are things to avoid when buying enclosures. I hate lids that don't come off easy, especially inconvenient when working with a skittish arboreal. I don't know what your Ts temperament is like but I doubt it will appreciate an earthquake every time you go in there.

I would look for something better, unless your cool with botherimg your T every time you need to do maintenance. And it's a hassle for you... if you only have one tarantula you mineswell go with something that's convenient for both parties.

user 666

Arachnobaron
The trick to opening that case is to find the one corner of the lid with the extra bit of plastic. Pinch that nubbin between your thumb and forefinger. Pull while pressing down with your pinky to lever the lid open.

Opening one of these is sometimes a two-handed operation, yes.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The trick to opening that case is to find the one corner of the lid with the extra bit of plastic. Pinch that nubbin between your thumb and forefinger. Pull while pressing down with your pinky to lever the lid open.

Opening one of these is sometimes a two-handed operation, yes.
I was already using that corner, but i didnt know about that method. Let's try it... that doesn't work very well.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
I'd personally be afraid that I'd end up dropping the whole thing, or breaking it, if it is that hard to open. Perhaps try and sand the edges of the lid to wear it down a little bit and make it easier to open.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I'd personally be afraid that I'd end up dropping the whole thing, or breaking it, if it is that hard to open. Perhaps try and sand the edges of the lid to wear it down a little bit and make it easier to open.
That's really not an issue after you fill it with several pounds of substrate.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
But how do you get the lids to open more easily
If you look at the DIY link instructions and my pics you can see that the lid was cut into two pieces, then a hinge was glued between them. The act of cutting the lid apart removes just enough material (width of saw blade) to alleviate the tight lid.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
If you look at the DIY link instructions and my pics you can see that the lid was cut into two pieces, then a hinge was glued between them. The act of cutting the lid apart removes just enough material (width of saw blade) to alleviate the tight lid.
Found it, thanks

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Just open them a few times and they will loosen up. I made two that are the biggest size case for adults. I drilled them out with ease. Common sense when drilling acrylic tells you to go slow to avoid cracking.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I do not close mine all the way. I leave a gap small enough that I can slip a penny or dime (small coin) in and I rock it side to side and it comes off smoothly without shaking up the T. I like the tight lid because I know the T will not push it off.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I do not close mine all the way. I leave a gap small enough that I can slip a penny or dime (small coin) in and I rock it side to side and it comes off smoothly without shaking up the T. I like the tight lid because I know the T will not push it off.
For example:

IMG_0345.JPG