Dickerson Park Zoo, Springfield, MO

ChondroGirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We visited Dickerson Park Zoo in Springfield, MO, yesterday. It was the first warm day after so many days that had been below freezing. With the warm weather, all of the animals were out and very active, chasing one another and playing in their enclosures. Dickerson Park Zoo has done a lot of remodeling over the last few years, so the animals have more room and more items that enrich their environments. The baby giraffes were running and kicking up their heels, the cougers were pouncing one another, the otters were swimming and running over and under their logs, the wolves were howling at a train whistle, and the peacocks and peahens were flying from tree to fence to tree. It was all rather festive!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been there before!! I only live about an hour away :)

ChondroGirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They also have a fairly new building, "The Diversity of Life Building", that houses snakes, lizards, frogs, scorpians, and tarantulas. If you contact the reptile zoo keeper, he will even give you a tour of the back and discuss how he cares for the animals, including the venomous species. He let us hold some of the larger nonvenomous snakes. Great fun...and informative!

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like your in my neck of the woods. Dickerson Park Zoo is SO much better now than it was even just 5-10 years ago.

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey! I've been there, too. My mom lives in Springfield. I went last June when it was sooooooooooooo hot and humid. Walking around took a lot out of us. The did have some cool animals there... although the ostriches bit at my toes. hehe.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to live in Springfield. I LOVED the zoo. I took classes there when I was little. It is so much better than the Louisville Zoo(the only zoo relatively close to where I live now). I miss it. The people were always so nice.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i go there alot my daughter loves it....im only 20 min. from it so i go often.....

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok its nothing special but next timeim there ill get some pics.