Dichotomus key for Cyriopagopus/Haplopelma?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Does anyone know if there is a dichotomus key for the Cyriopagopus/Haplopelma genus? Or something that might discuss the differences between the minax look a likes?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
No, but according to Volker von Wirth to determine species between the real minax and the one sold as "big black"(which is just a northern variant of vonwirthi) you need to examine the setae on the dorsal side of the patella on the rear legs.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
No, but according to Volker von Wirth to determine species between the real minax and the one sold as "big black"(which is just a northern variant of vonwirthi) you need to examine the setae on the dorsal side of the patella on the rear legs.
Are you referring to the presence (minax) or absence (all others) of short spines on the patella of leg 3 and 4? This was the information I received and it's a confusing character. I have a molt of the "big black" and I see what could be short spines on the patella of leg 3 and 4, but I can't tell if they are just stout setae mixed in with longer setae. Are there any quality pictures floating around comparing the "knees" of all of the "minax" species?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
So the big black is probably better described as Cyriopagopus vonwirthi dark phase?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I found this pic discussing longipes.

Edit: copyright infringement

Last edited by a moderator: